Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best and easiest to use serving tool. I have heard good things about the Bjorn and the Cavalier servers. I have a Beiter Server and it is nice but is pretty big.
Jbird

·
Member # 75
3,483 Posts
Jbird, I don't know who makes the best. I do not have a Beiter but do have 1 Cavalier, 2 Bjorn, and 2 old Martin servers.

I generally use the Bjorn or Cavalier on center servings, but for ends, especially the axle pully end of a cable, I use the old simple Martin server. Nothing but a sheet metal U shape with friction washers and a thumbscrew.

The problem with serving is not the server. It is the quality of winding the serving on the spool and the spool itself.

When winding tight servings, the thread digs down into the remainder of the spool and then the tool intermittently tightens and loosens causing a limpy serving.

This occurs especially when the thread is pulling from over near the edge of the spool.

To get the best quality consistent smooth serving I will reel off enough thread and then hand wrap it back in the center of the spool as tight and consistent as I can. This then produces a more consistent serving.

I know guys that use fishing line and just hand wrap every single wrap without a tool at all.

Due to the loose spools, I am not sure a Beiter tool is worth the money.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I like The Beiter too Jay, I've been using one for a while now and altho big, it is great. I used to primarily use Bjorn before that, they also work well if you can get the serving through the bushing!;) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
300 Posts
i have bjorn serving tool and it's ok, but i'll try out beiter tool!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Bjorn is coming out with a jig that has a larger hole in the bushing. This will correct the only complaint that I have with theirs.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Beiter Profi!!!

JBird,

I was using a couple Bjorns (they are a pain to change out spools on) and then I got a Beither Profi with stainless steel rollers. This is by far the best serving jig I have seen. It is all I use now.

If Sag did this sort of thing, he would have this jig...lol. :D

You can change spools in about 15 seconds. It is super consistant and bulletproof.

I broke one of the Bjorns and I have seen the 3 holes get grooved.

I am spoiled now with this Beiter Profi.

·
Registered
20,297 Posts
JBird -

I have no idea!

Mine are basically a bent piece of metal, with a bolt through the serving spool, spings and washers on each side and a wingnut to top it off and adjust the tension.

Also have no idea how many thousands of strings I've made with them, ;)

Like shooting, it's nothing fancy, but does the job!

Viper1 out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts