Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is my situation. I have a Switchback pulling 70# 26.5" arrow 376.5grains D-loop getting around 275fps. Problem is my sight pins were so close together when set up at 15-25-35yards, i tried to change to 15-30-45 yards which gave a nice gap, but my brain is so ingrained with teh old 15-25-35yardages that at teh last couple 3-D shoots ive been shooting over animals forgetting that the 35 is actually 45 now. These new carbon arrows are way too expnsive to be blowing 2 up at every shoot.

That being said I liek pulling 70# feels right to me(i know its way more than i need to kill deer or anything else for that matter) If i drop back a few pounds say 65-67 would that be enough to allow for a bit more gap setting my pins back at the 15-25-35

I'm just afraid that i wont be able to relearn my pins in time for the pending season. Would hate to miss that big buck, or even worse just wound an animal.

Also thought about adding string leeches to help slow it down without haven to drop my draw weight too much, changen arrows isnt an option since i already have bought 1.5 dozen arrows.

Sorry this is soo long but wanted to give as much info as possible, thanks for all yoru help

·
Spot Shooter
2,128 Posts
You could always go to a single pin sight with an adjustable sight system like the Cobra easy slide. I shoot a sightmaster with a single pin. With the flatter shooting bows one is enough for the range I can shoot at deer. I can adjust mine to the exact yardage needed. I have yet to train my deer to walk 10, 20 or 30 yards from me every time they pass by. :D My stands are in some pretty thick areas for big bucks so I don't have to worry about different distances. If I had to I can slide it one way or another pretty quickly. With multiple pins you end up gap shooting too often and I love the pin on the spot not above or below.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, i already got a new fixed pin sight and would prefer not to spend a lot of money the Switchback with all the new accesories was a bite out of my funds, the reason i want the gap is for the shoots that arent exactly at the yardages stated. Inexpensive and simple is what i was going for, just dont want to lower my draw weight too much if i can get away with it, speed isnt crutial here :teeth:

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
When I have a hard time re-learning something new, I put a sticky note on my cieling above my bed.

Everytime I go to bed, I see it, and after a few nights, it's just in my head.

So maybe you could write "15, 30, 45" one on top of the other.

Also, put it on your bow case, the flap on your quiver, and other places you always look. It will be ingraved in your mind once you see it every time you go to open your release pouch, open your bow case, go to bed etc....

Give it a try, maybe it will help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts