Archery Talk Forum banner

set up question

701 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  dannyvp
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a diamond Liberty pulling 60#. Shooting a GT 55-75 with fobs, and 125 grain tips. Arrow is 29" long. I'm trying to keep my 20 yard pin in the center of my extreme sight. So heres my problem.

Shooting at 20 yards im good. At 30 yards my 20 yard pin hits about 12" low. So if i make a 30 yard pin then my 40 yard pin bottoms out.

So if i switch to 100 grain or 85 grain tips, will this help?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Anything you do to lighten the arrow should help...how much is the big question. If going with 100 grain doesn't help I wouldn't go lighter, but either not have a forty yard pin or move the 20 up a little. Increasing draw weight if possible would help to.

· Registered
755 Posts
Any 60# bow should have the abilty to set a 40 and 60 yd pin
Need to look at the set up - who set it up for you?
Is the peep the correct height?
Nock point correct?

· Registered
4,499 Posts
Yeah those extreme sights have a small pin guard so it is hard to do what you want to do with the DW and arrow weight you have, Whats your DL set at and what kind of arrowrest do you have, Try going to a little lighter arrow, shorter, if possible, lighter GPI and point combo. Thats about the only option, well besides a sight with a large pin guard. Even going lighter you should still keep your kinetic energy, cause of the speed gain, hope this helps

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
almost fixed

Well i took the string loop off and put a hard truball loop on. I also put a button up by my nose to insure another point of contact. I have bad form and dont really know alot about it. I've been shooting a recurve for the last 2 or 3 years.
My 20 yard pin is shooting about 4 or 5 inches low at 30 yards, and my 40 pin is dead on but bottomed out. I might put my 20 yard pin to 25 and split the difference. I couldn't tell any difference in 125 grain and 100 grain.

Rest is a QAD.

· Registered
3,609 Posts
My Arrow is 29 inches long. I draw 28 inches. Useing the wax on a finger trick, It looks like i could cut the arrow to 26 inches. Would this help a lot?
I shoot the exact same thing............GT 55-75..........26" length....28" draw........100 gr. tip

They fly great. If you cut the arrows down and change the tip to 100 gr. you will gain about 16 or 17 f/s.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
setup

I spoke to BowTech yesterday and went through my set up and they thought i would see a lot of difference cutting my arrows down and using 100 grain tips.

I may have a 35-55 around also, but im going to cut a few 55-75's down as well. I'll let you guys know this afternoon how they do.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heres what happened.

I cut my arrows to 26 inches, and placed 100 gr tips on. This happened.
- my 20 yard pin started shooting 25 yards.
- my 40 yards pin raised some and will also shoot 45 yard.
- I removed my 30 yard pin.

Next i turned my bow up. the limbs were not bottomed out. So i bottomed them out. So im probably shooting around 63 lbs now. Sooo.........
- My 25 and 40 yard pin started shooting 3 inches high.

That being said i guess im shooting the flatest my bow can do now. I shot some of my arrows that were 29 inches long with 125 tips after i was done. They were shooting about 6 to 7 inches lower than the ones i cut.:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.