Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've seen there's more to setting nock height than using a square and setting the nock(s) at x-distance from center. I see videos of people adjusting the nock point based on their feel for how the arrows are flying. But what if you're a beginner who's doing good to hit the broad side of a barn and don't have a buddy who's an experienced archer.

Is there a nock point setting from center you recommend that should get you in the ballpark? In my case I'm using an arrow rest.

Any specific videos you recommend?

·
Slinging Arrows
1,373 Posts
Nock height should be set at level or slightly above with the arrow running through the center of the berger hole.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You need to research basic tuning setting nocking point and get your feet wet understanding how and why. You'll also need a basic set of tools nock plyers and square a log book to write down your adjustments with results and final setting. In general nock height is set above square, dimension per your empirical results.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Yes. 1/2" high is a good place to start.

Reactions: Beendare

·
Registered
20,929 Posts
Bass -

Assuming you're shoot split finger, set the ARROW perpendicular to the string, then move it upwards about 1/8" and set the nocking point (whatever you're using) ABOVE THE ARROW NOCK. 9/10 times that will be close to tuned.

Since you're asking that question, do not try any formal tuning techniques at this point, odds are your form isn't solid or consistent enough to get valid results - yet.

Viper1 out.

Reactions: The SB Image

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would recommend you start out with a tie on nock such as the one in the Bob Lee video so you can easily adjust it without taking it off/on... off/on... once you have it where it should be for your style of shooting you can then record it and install whatever type of nock set you'd like.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
^^^^I also like the metal nocks for just that reason, with nock pliers it easy to lightly loosen it and slide it up and down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts