Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be building a string stretcher to get my cables and string back to factory specs.
The cables are pretty strait forward in my mind, use 1/4" posts and twist them to length at 100 lbs. of pressure.
On the string side of things I have 2 questions.
1. Should I remove the peep before I set them to length? I would think so but not sure if it is needed.
2. Should I stick to the twist ratio of 2 twists on bottom of string to 1 twist on top of string?
I am fairly new to tuning my own bows so any accurate advise would be appreciated.

·
Huh?
1,684 Posts
Short answers: Yes remove the peep and it depends.
Tuning has very little to do factory specs. Ive seen factory specs differ from from what was really on the bow a LOT. For my self factory specs are a starting point only.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Short answers: Yes remove the peep and it depends.
Tuning has very little to do factory specs. Ive seen factory specs differ from from what was really on the bow a LOT. For my self factory specs are a starting point only.
Thanks for the reply. This is for a used E35 I purchased that had 28.5" mods that I switched to 29.5" and ended up with an exact 29 5/8" DL. at 62 lbs with 82% let off, I was happy with that.
Then I wanted to try the bow with 30" mods and purchased and had installed by a local shop. I think that was a mistake after watching him at work with a less than desirable draw board. I was not there when he installed the mods. so I dont know how careful he was with keeping the string and cable twists under control but after watching him operate I am thinking maybe not as the bow is drawing a full 1/4' long and I cant quite figure out how to get it where I want.
So my thinking is bring the string and cables back to factory specs and go from there.
Like I said I am fairly new to this but I thought this would be a good starting point considering where I am at.

·
Huh?
1,684 Posts
That would be a great place to start. Stated factory specs on string and cable lengths can differ a lot from what it actually is. So dont pull your hair out over it. Get the poundage set (personally I like it to be a skosh over max), cams synced and go from there. Your going to be doing a lot of twisting and untwisting so get a good press and drawboard. Be careful ........... its addicting!!!

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
That is kind of weird. Doesn't seem possible to alter string twists enough just changing mods to move DL that much. Maybe put the other mods back in and check to see if the DL is still 29 5/8

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
I've seen shops take strings off for a mod swap and have zero regard to keeping the twists correct. Pull them off and set aside, swapped mods and just threw the strings back on. I'm sure that they were no where near close to being to correct or same lengths as when removed.

I work on my equipment for these very reasons.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys.
When I picked the bow up the owner of the shop had another bow with the strings off laying on the bench loose with no paper clips, said he was doing a mod swap. Thats when I thought hmmm ,this could be problematic. The thing is this is the only shop in about a 50 mile radius that even has a draw board and a shoddy one at that.
One of the few drawbacks of living in the sticks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts