Archery Talk Forum banner

Setting timer on game cameras. How often?

2426 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  King
Just bought my first game cam. A scoutguard 550v. Im gonna head out today and set it up.

My question is how often should i set the timer to take pics? Right now i have it set for 1 every 30 seconds with one snap.

Is that too fast? Should i change for every minute or what?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Do it in style!
2,319 Posts
are you putting it over bait? or on a trail? If on trails I set mine as fast as it can go. If on bait you might want to go 30 seconds to a minute unless you plan on checking it every few days. I set mine on the fastest even on bait but I check it every couple days, if doing so.

· Registered
1,999 Posts
justin does pretty close to what i do. ive got my scoutguard set on one pic every 2 sec. becasue im setting it up on a trail to where theyre walking at a 45deg. angle to or away from the camera. but my cam over my baitpile is set for 30sec. i check them every two weeks.

· Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you putting it over bait? or on a trail? If on trails I set mine as fast as it can go. If on bait you might want to go 30 seconds to a minute unless you plan on checking it every few days. I set mine on the fastest even on bait but I check it every couple days, if doing so.

Never thought about bait vs trail.It will be over bait. Guess i can expect them to stay a while so fast pics wouldnt be needed. Thanks

· Registered
28,629 Posts
Set your camera up according to how many pictures and how often you check the camera. You want to get the most amounts of pictures you can and still have the camera running when you check and change media cards out. If you check once a week you can probably set the camera up a picture every 5 seconds. If you check the camera once every two weeks then 30 seconds might be the way to go. You kind of need to play with it to get a feel of how long the camera will run taking the maximum amounts of pictures before the batteries go dead. Have fun that’s what it’s all about.

· Super Moderator
20,486 Posts
Set your camera up according to how many pictures and how often you check the camera. You want to get the most amounts of pictures you can and still have the camera running when you check and change media cards out. If you check once a week you can probably set the camera up a picture every 5 seconds. If you check the camera once every two weeks then 30 seconds might be the way to go. You kind of need to play with it to get a feel of how long the camera will run taking the maximum amounts of pictures before the batteries go dead. Have fun that’s what it’s all about.
Good point Stanley.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.