Archery Talk Forum banner

Setting up a basement range

4777 Views 25 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  rancilio
As the title says, I'm going to set up a short range in my basement. I have some PVC that I don't want to take out with an accidental flyer. I'm thinking of shielding it with some sheet metal or something. Anyone have any ideas what else I could use? If I go with the sheet metal, what thickness would stop an arrow dead? Thanks for any input or suggestions.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
I shoot year around; I made an indoor 23 yard bow shooting range. Took three old sleeping bags filled them with old blankets for a back stop; to stop the flyers, never damage an arrow. I have bags, black hole & 3 D deer targets in front of the sleeping bags. This is the forth year they stand up well.
Standing, kneeling, blind chair and ground blind. Shooting thirty to sixty arrows three times a week.

· Registered
2,565 Posts
Arrow stop

I have 1/2" sheet plywood as a backup. I shoot heavy arrows (430g). They do push about 6-8" through the plywood on a bad shot.

· Registered
78 Posts
I'd stay away from sheet metal unless you have some lying around ($$). 2x stock and carpet would work fine and a lot less expensive. Carpet will not damage your arrows unlike metal.

· Registered
84 Posts
I tried carpet...3 layers of very thick, plush carpet pressed together. Shot it w/ Easton Epic's 400 out of '09 PSE Dream Season set @ 70#. Arrow went straight through the layers of carpet as if they were not there.

So in other words, if you shoot a fast arrow, it will likely take more than 3 arrows in my experience. I bought a large backstop from B.U.P. Sports (HD version for higher speed arrows) and usually stops the arrows in ~10 inches with no damage to the arrow at all. Of course, that depends on if you have that much space to give up b/t your PVC and where you are shooting.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
i have two white foam blocks 48"long 32"tall and 19" thick that i got off of a construction job i was on ,they work really well. at the club where i shoot they have like a fish net apron behind the targets that works really well. hope this helps

· Registered
2,498 Posts
...................Anyone have any ideas what else I could use?
..........Thanks for any input or suggestions.
A larger target.

Learning to shoot right handed while being left eye dom at small bag targets has left many divots in my basement's wall that mark the end of an arrows life. Eventually I put up a 100# 3/4" rubber horse mat that helped on my slower bows. Finally, I put up a large target (a 4 footer) and couldn't be more pleased, not only for the obvious reason but for the extra surface area that will take a much greater time to wear out.

· Registered
411 Posts
As the title says, I'm going to set up a short range in my basement. I have some PVC that I don't want to take out with an accidental flyer. I'm thinking of shielding it with some sheet metal or something. Anyone have any ideas what else I could use? If I go with the sheet metal, what thickness would stop an arrow dead? Thanks for any input or suggestions.
I use 5/8 inch plywood with a 2x4 spacer and another 5/8 plywood. Stops flyers very well out of my 63 pound Bear Strike...

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. There's a lot of good options here. I think I'm going to cover the PVC (which is my radon removal system) in 2x6's. My basement is kinda weird. I'll be shooting into a concreted crawl space. I'm thinking of using some of the ideas here for a backstop. I'll have to make the actual target either on wheels or a pulley system to avoid crawling up there to get the arrows after shooting. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

· Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. There's a lot of good options here. I think I'm going to cover the PVC (which is my radon removal system) in 2x6's. My basement is kinda weird. I'll be shooting into a concreted crawl space. I'm thinking of using some of the ideas here for a backstop. I'll have to make the actual target either on wheels or a pulley system to avoid crawling up there to get the arrows after shooting. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
you could use a rubber stall matt for horses.Im gona get one.Tractor supply has them for 40 bucks.There quite large,i think they were 4 by 6.About an inch thick.Very heavy

· Registered
234 Posts
Don't use T-111. My brother in law missed the Mckenzie, hit my lean-to, and passed through into a can of expanding foam. Man that stuff was everywhere. I'm still picking it off my hip quiver. LOL

· Registered
577 Posts
Try spacing the carpet out (3-4inches) if using layers.
I did this with 3 pieces, the arrow will go thru the first layer, sometimes the second layer but never the third.

· Registered
2,498 Posts
...Eventually I put up a 100# 3/4" rubber horse mat that helped on my slower bows....
you could use a rubber stall matt for horses....
Now where have i heard that before :set1_thinking: ...................................... :smile:

If you do go that route, keeping the mat away from the wall will give you the best results.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.