Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set a ladder stand yesterday on the property that I will be hunting this year. I went back today to cut shooting lanes etc.. Forgot to do yesterday:embara: I scouted a little and found a nice spot to set up a ground blind. It is about fifty yards from my stand. I have had one for two years and have never had it in the woods. How close is too close to a trail? The main trail would be about twenty yards away and it branches out into four small ones. Is it too late to set it up? The season starts Oct. 14. Is three weeks enough time to let it sit? Should I wait and just set it up the day I hunt? Is it better to set it up and leave it? I will brush it in well. Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to cover all the bases. I need some advice from people with experience hunting from ground blinds. Thanks fellow archers.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think the key is brushing it in good. I used one last year and it took awhile for the deer to get used to it. Turkeys on the other hand don't seem to mind it at all. I think 20 yards from a trail would be OK. It is always better in my opinion to set it up and leave it if you are hunting where you can. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
John
2,732 Posts
I think that the effect is dependent upon the amount of human traffic in the area. If the deer are used to people in the area, then the amount of time that it takes for the deer to get used to the blind may be less. I am a new blind user, as well. I set my blind up a day before hunting from it, and scared deer off when walking to the blind the next morning (evidently got there too late). I went this morning, though, and didn't see any action. I am going to wait a few days before going back and see if that helps. Any other opinions from blind users would be helpful, though (cuz I'm a rookie). I will let you know what happens after I go out again (Wed).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts