Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tent, it is a 10x12

I can set it up solo pretty well with the pole set, but this year I am going in beyond where my truck can go, taking what I can fit in my jeep. Poles will not make the trip, the tent might.

I have seen the aspen pole trick, not sure if I can do it alone. Think I would have any luck stringing it up between a couple trees? I think I can tie off to one tree, run the rope thru the ridge and run the rope thru a pulley tied off to an other tree. Then pull it up by hand or with the jeep.

What do you guys think? I have a nylon tent, but this will be up for all 4 weeks of the season.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Saw one where some guys cut a tree for a ridge pole, wedge the pole in some trees and then tied the corners out to other trees.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw one where some guys cut a tree for a ridge pole, wedge the pole in some trees and then tied the corners out to other trees.
I'll keep that in mind, had not thought of that. Maybe even a ridge pole, hoisted up on both ends.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'll keep that in mind, had not thought of that. Maybe even a ridge pole, hoisted up on both ends.
That would probably work. Probably wouldn't be very stable if it gets windy but it would work.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,178 Posts
I prefer a canvas truck camp tent too over my cabelas...better for cots and a stove
I have the Davis herder plus the larger wall tent...but if I had it to do over would have got a small 10x12 wall tent over my Herder, pictured tho the Herder is easy setup too
elk camp second red.jpg
Co 08 camp re.jpg
tent re.jpg

I've used this pole layout in the backcountry with my 12x16 wall tent and it works pretty good but it really takes 2 guys. No doubt somebody could do it solo with some ingenuity...but its going to take awhile. We get the center pole in, get the scissors ready with the center pole [illustrated where the dashed lines are] tied to the scissor, work up one end then work up the other. of course it takes some adjusting to get it tight..but it sure helps to have a guy holding it so it doesn't rock forward. I can set up my 12x16 with the color coded interior aluminum pole setup solo no problem in 20 minutes. My buddies with the conduit ridge pole/posts down the middle is impossible to setup with one guy.
wall tent pole layout.jpg

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Running a ridge pole and supports by yourself would be a real pain in the butt. I'd strap the poles to the hood of the jeep before I'd try that by myself. We've done it many times over the years with several tents, but always had multiple people on hand, and it's still a chore.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Curious to see what you come up with. Contemplated how to fit everything in our JKUHR myself. I was planning on installing a roof basket and putting the lighter gear up top in those weather resistant roof bags.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,178 Posts
Added; to clarify,[ re PM's] that inverted 'V' at the top ridge is what I referred to as the scissor that supports the center ridge pole. . It helps, IMO if it is loosely tied to the V...so it doesn't slip while setting it up...plus you need a long line anchored out in front and back to keep it stable anyway. We leave a short rope section on the center ridge for a lantern before setup
In most areas of the west a guy could pack his wall tent sans poles and upon arrival find standing dead lodgepole or Aspens for the above pole diagram. It would take more time for sure....but save on packing bulk in your rig.
I've never packed my aluminum poles into the backcountry for my 12x16 as the pole bag is very awkward; over 4' long due to the legs, about 18" in dia and would make all kinds of racket.

Its worth noting to anyone considering poles or setup of these wall tents; No posts inside the tent supporting the center ridge is HIGHLY desirable...gives you a lot more space. Same with that Davis Herder, it seems the center pole is always in the way.

The frame is easy to make in the bush....especially with all of the dead lodgepole now. Take care to strip the center pole fairly smooth as nubs can rub holes in the canvas. I think that small canvas wall tent is a killer setup...sure the big wall tent is nice but if you are horse packing one into the bush.....a small wall tent is hard to beat.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty sure I'll get a roof rack, been thinking about it for years anyway. Even with the rear seat out of a 92 wrangler, just not much room in there.
The aspen pole frame is something I always wanted to try. Probably get some laid in on a scouting trip this summer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought about it some....I don't think I would be able to set that tent up with an aspen pole frame solo. Whatever I end up with, I'll let you all know how or if it worked. Depending on finding two trees to use to winch my tent up to will be a challenge for sure.

Might look for some 1" aluminum conduit to use.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Thought about it some....I don't think I would be able to set that tent up with an aspen pole frame solo.
Maybe take someone up with you early before the season starts and set it up, then it's good to go when you get up there by yourself. Taking one down with that setup is a lot easier than putting one up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe take someone up with you early before the season starts and set it up, then it's good to go when you get up there by yourself. Taking one down with that setup is a lot easier than putting one up.
That's not a bad idea either. They come down pretty easy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The diagram the Beendare showed works well, but I've never tried it solo. Sometimes you have to lash two poles together to get a ridgepole that is long enough but not too big on one end or too small on the other. I think you could do it solo if you cut a couple of vertical center poles that have a fork in them to hold the ridge pole up until you get the diagonals set. Then you could remove them.

I have the Davis herder, and the main thing I don't like about it is that it leaks around the zipper on the roof portion. I usually make a porch with a tarp to keep the water off.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Thought about it some....I don't think I would be able to set that tent up with an aspen pole frame solo. Whatever I end up with, I'll let you all know how or if it worked. Depending on finding two trees to use to winch my tent up to will be a challenge for sure.

Might look for some 1" aluminum conduit to use.
You'll find the DIY alum. frame is not very easy. For the alum. to be strong enough you have to go with a larger diameter and then it obviously won't fit your angles. The alum. frames you can buy have poles that are custom made for this.

My original thought on this with our JKU was to get a small relite blend wall tent with an alum. frame and a titanium stove. A vehicle the size of a Wrangler limits what you can bring but a bigger rig limits where you can get to.

Don't forget about a hitch hauler as an option for more space.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
A vehicle the size of a Wrangler limits what you can bring but a bigger rig limits where you can get to.
That's why I tow my Toyota up behind the F-350, and then set up base camp in an easily accessible spot. I need the F-350 for hauling everything up, but love the versatility and capability of the Toyota for going anywhere I want to go.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
That's why I tow my Toyota up behind the F-350, and then set up base camp in an easily accessible spot. I need the F-350 for hauling everything up, but love the versatility and capability of the Toyota for going anywhere I want to go.
You must really bring a lot of Chit. lol

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,178 Posts
You'll find the DIY alum. frame is not very easy. For the alum. to be strong enough you have to go with a larger diameter and then it obviously won't fit your angles. The alum. frames you can buy have poles that are custom made for this.
Agreed^
That Aluminum frame for mine is awesome. We used the cheap conduit frame for many years with my buddies tent and it was heavy with posts down the middle....i didn't realize how bad it was ....when you get those Alu frames with no posts inside the tent it really makes it nice.

My Al pole set is probably 1 1/2" dia and poles are swedged and I color coded them- setup is a breeze. You construct the roof on the ground, pull the tent over it while its low, lift up one side insert legs, then lift the other side, pull the tent fabric down and tie it off

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed^
That Aluminum frame for mine is awesome. We used the cheap conduit frame for many years with my buddies tent and it was heavy with posts down the middle....i didn't realize how bad it was ....when you get those Alu frames with no posts inside the tent it really makes it nice.

My Al pole set is probably 1 1/2" dia and poles are swedged and I color coded them- setup is a breeze. You construct the roof on the ground, pull the tent over it while its low, lift up one side insert legs, then lift the other side, pull the tent fabric down and tie it off
So you guys don't think 1" al conduit would work? It is the same OD as my steel 1" conduit, tho not as tough I'm sure.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,178 Posts
So you guys don't think 1" al conduit would work? It is the same OD as my steel 1" conduit, tho not as tough I'm sure.
Well its going to depend on the wall thickness and the connectors. My Al pole set has tapered ends that insert appx 3" [from memory] but its a good solid connection.

I bet with a Come Along you could set that wall tent with lodgepole or aspen frame up solo......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts