Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I haven't done much of it so it took me a long time to hang my stand this summer. I learned from some of my mistakes, or should I say lived with some of my mistakes. I'd like to speed up the process so give me your best directions for setting up.

I'm right handed, so which side do you climb on? How many and how far should the steps be placed, How do you go around limbs?

How would you setup a stand that faces north, has limb on the east side at 15' and you want the stand at 20'.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
If the stand needs to face north, I always go up on the west side. I space my steps evenly by putting each new one even with my armpit...so if my left foot is on a low step, my right is up a step, the next left one goes in even with my left armpit.

When it comes to hanging the stand, I hold it with my left hand under the platform, folded up, grab the strap around the tree with my right, keep the stand folded and up against the tree, hook the stap and snug it up, unfold the stand and push down along the tree, get in it and give it a little jump up against the tree to make it slide downward tightening the strap and locking it in.

A couple thoughts...you hear a lot of talk about using ratchets and whatever to really get it tight...most stands are engineered to use the downward force to lock it into place tight against the tree. Adding extra straps and overtightening the original stap is not the way to go. You can set up a stand with a sloppy loose strap and when you unfold it and slide it down it will still be rock solid tight. So...to remove the stand later, it is a simple thing to fold it back up, lift the stand up to get the slack back in the strap, and then unhook it.

To pull the stand up, I run a good size rope thru the platform grate and tie it to the upright under the seat. This keeps the stand folded when pulling it up. I lay the strap down along the platform and it is just long enough to allow the buckle to hang between the platform's back "v" bar without clanging on the stand. It is much easier to pull more slack while hanging than it is to shorten the strap while hanging.

I have a few stands that have the strap than can be changed to hook to either side. Verry occasionally it would be better to hang the stand from the opposite side and I only do it with those stands. If that strap doesn't hook to the stand on your side it is very hard to hang it.

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
I assume you're talking about using tree steps and I'm not a big fan of those even though I have one of the big cranks to make it easier to install. Except for the old 'Deer Me" steps, the rest of the tree steps have a tapered thread that the further it goes in, the harder it is to turn. The old Deer Me steps had a few tapered threads and then the rest were parallel - much easier to install.

As stated, putting the strap around the tree, and then carefully slipping into it and stomping your foot on the platform will cinch it into place. However, I ALWAYS put a ratchet strap on everyone of my tree stands at the top V or upper attachment to the tree. Trees move in the wind which can cause them to loosen ever so slightly and I don't want mine moving slightly when I'm standing on the platform. The ratchet is just simple insurance for peace of mind and added safety.

By the way, I use 20' climbing sticks. I have a few Deer Me screw in steps that I install above the treestand and use as a handhold to help me get from the sticks to the treestand. I'll place my sticks that allows the best and safest access up the tree and prefer to have it on the backside of the tree/stand placement. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Ditto what [email protected] said.

But, I do use a ratchet straps too, it just makes me feel better. First I set the stand with the strap it came with, which doesn't always tighten well and hangs a little loose until the stand is pulled down, depending on which stand, and I hook the cheap/flimsy bottom strap in place. Then once it seems solid I put a heavy duty ratchet strap on and cinch it up. I've had one or two times in the past when a stand would shift a bit on me later in the season, and that just makes me queezy when I'm up 20' on a tiny metal grate, and the extra ratchet locks it in tight and makes it a rock solid extension of the tree. Worth the extra $15 to me for peace of mind. It's not that I'm afraid of heights, but I am afraid of my clumsiness if a stand shifts, especially if there's a breeze taking me for a slow sway.

I also use a black rubber bungee cord to keep the stand folded while hauling it up and hung since it keeps the stand folded tight and prevents noisy clanging.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
A few good tips...

1. Put a screw in tree step where you want the stand to go. Tie a rope to the stand and throw it over the step. Pull it up to the height of the step. Hang it on the step so it is secure enough you dont have to use any hands to hold it in place. Ratchet til its tight.

2. Make sure the ratchet straps are on the right side so that you can get to them from your ladder! Made this mistake. When I went up the ladder, I couldnt see the ratchet straps on the other side of the tree.

3. Make sure you know the position of the sun all day and hang your stand accordingly.

4. Make sure your ladder, or climbing sticks go ABOVE your stand so that you can step DOWN into your stand rather that pull yourself UP.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
get a cheap tree ladder, much better than screw in steps in my opinion. doesn't matter to me which side of the side i'm gettin onto from, i just make sure its EASY to step onto the stand. and i never climb the ladder or steps to put the stand on the tree, i use a climbing stand. i realize not everyone has one, but if you do have a climber, its SO much easier. i prop the ladder against the tree, take notice of where i need the stand to be. then i put the ladder down, and use my climber to attach the hang on. so much easier than tryhing to cling to a tree and attach a stand.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate it guys, particularly the methods for keeping the stand "folded" while bringing it up, the setting steps to above stand height, and making sure the strap is on the correct side relative to the steps and desired seating direction.

:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
i hate chains, so i use a seat belt, thats right a seat belt. once all steps are in i climb down and put my stand on like a backpack. I climb back up, take it off and hold it to the tree in my left hand still folded up. wrap the seat belt (latched) around the tree and hook to the stand, pull tight, fold down the platform and the strap tightens up. when u want it out of the tree, push the button.

seat belts are stonger than ratchets and quieter than chains. at least that is what works best for me, after you do it a few times you will figure it out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Keep the stand on your back when you climb up. I use my climbing sticks and when I get to where I am going to hang the stand I put the T bar in hang the stand on that then put the rachet strap on and snug it up that way you dont have to go all the way down to get the stand. Does anyone have any ideas on how to haul all the sticks up at the same time?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Quick tip....

Use more tree steps closer together cuz when its cold and you have alot of clothes its tough to take tall steps.

Wear a harness while hanging your stand and use the linemans belt feature to allow you to use both hands...this helps so much.

I use ratchet straps but my dad stands use chain so putting his up takes a little more time to get the stand exactly where you want it. I like the ratchets cuz you put the stand where you want it and cinch it down...done deal.

If that limb at 15' is sturdy and living use it as another step if you want... When using pines especially younger ones...or maples and popple for that mater I use a mix of branches and tree steps to climb.

Work slow...really slow...I dont step down onto my stands...more like straight across.

After you put up a stand or two it gets easier...

something else to help you...get a self holding pully...and hang it above where you want the stand...then after you pull the stand up the pully will help you hold it where you want it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts