Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a recent opportunity to plan, build and manage an archery range. The field is inside a golf course. At first the range will be approximately 120ft x 120ft, not very long but the option exists to extend it to 230 ft in the future if the users demand it.

The location is in a suburban town close to Mexico City.

I´ve got an architectural design that the Golf Club owners and myself really like. Consisting of a customised version of the Archery Trade Association Covered Shooting Range model. With a zig-zag of wooden boards for the walls to each side of the field to cover for arrows missing their target.

The ATA model is really good and would be enough to start budgeting except that in Mexico wood is very expensive. So we are looking for other materials to build the many walls (11 ft x 13 ft aprox.)

My first question for the forum is regarding materials, I was thinking building the walls with expanded metal sheets. I think it will stop an arrow from low bow weights (20 or 30 lb). I guess I´ll have to do some tests with different bows and expanded metal sheets.

Do you guys think it can be safe enough? Or do you recommend another setup?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
why not since you are talking about a golf course have a target 3D on each of the golf holes. then you can not only charge for shooting but the use of a golf cart...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why not since you are talking about a golf course have a target 3D on each of the golf holes. then you can not only charge for shooting but the use of a golf cart...
That could be a problem since the golf course is surrounded by houses. But in the same area there is available land to use for a 3d target course, thats a future plan. I have to get the target range up and running first.

Cheers,

·
Registered
88 Posts
Depending on the size of the openings in the expanded metal the arrows may become wedged. It would be perfect for ventilation, though. Perhaps, hang a arrow-stop curtain behind the targets. It would still allow air-flow. Man, starting an indoor archery range is a dream job. Good luck and have fun.

Gene

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So (after a few long weeks of work away from archery) I was able to do some tests with the expanded metal. I started with a piece I already had with diamonds of about 6mm. I shot a few arrows at it and the majority passed through the holes. The ones that hit the metal broke it and passed through to the target block behind it like butter, not even a scratch on the arrow. I have yet to try shooting at a sheet with smaller diamonds and of a higher caliber.
The wooden panels look like the better option so far.

Changing subject, I´m making a list of gear that could be best for beginners. Most likely the range will have 12 lanes so how many bows of which bow lenghts bow weights and arrow sizes do you think will be enough for starting?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts