Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start putting together my own arrows. Meaning: I would still purchase pre-finished shafting (stained, sealed, crested) to start with. I have looked at many magazines and websites and things get rather over-whelming in regard to the basics that I need.

Taper tools run from $8 (hand held) to infinity, same holds true for fletchers and just about everything else.

So, for a guy who wants to do the basics. Cut pre-finished shafts, taper both ends for nocks and points, fletch (single arrow not multi sets). WHat items (and even brands) do you suggest? Including glues and all the little things.

I plan on working with wood shafts and I would like to keep things near the $200 range (not including the shafts, points and such).

·
Registered
125 Posts
NH Guy, I,m no pro but this is what works for me. As far as cutting your shafts, I'v used any thing that cuts. Hacksaw, Leatherman saw, even a steak knife. The cut doesn't have to be perfectly clean since you are tapering the end anyway. For tapering, I got a small pencil sharpener type from 3 Rivers Archery, it does the point and nock end. Just make sure you get the right size to match the diameter of your shafts. Just a few dollars. For fletching, I got a Grayling fletching jig from Cabela's. About $30. I mounted the jig on an old wood cutting board. This is helpful for pushing on the field points and also catching any dripping hot melt glue. I use Ferrel-Tite by Bohning for glueing points. $4. I've used Fletch-Tite by Bohning for glueing feathers, but now I use their Fletch tape. Which is quicker and cleaner. $6. So you can make your own arrows fairly cheap and it's alot fun. Hope this helps. Jim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok NH GUY . Heres what you need. First you need a taper tool,I use TRU CENTER TAPER TOOL(27.95).Its fairly easy to use. Then you need a fletching gig.I use both a Bitzenburger and a Jo-jan multi-fletch. the Bitzenburger is a single fletch gig, and is all you'll ever need. Make sure you get the same clamp as wing feather you will use( right or left wing). cost about $70.00. As for glue use DUCO cement on wood , or try feather fletching tape($7.00). For arrow nocks, you have a choice with CLASSIC INDEX nocks, SNAP-ON nocks, or NIRK nocks, your choice, about $1.50 a dozen. So far you are up to about $110.00 less shafts. I would also suggest you purchase a how-to tape on arrow building like the one sold by 3-rivers( CRAFTING TRADITIONAL WOOD ARROWS) another $15.00. In fact you can find every thing you need at 3-rivers.com. Good luck and Good arrow building.:cocktail:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I tried my hand with those prefinished 3 rivers shafts. While my arrows turned out looking ok, they just didn't end up shooting as good as some of my other arrows. I never did figure out why. BTW I used the fletch tape instead of the glue and it seems to work ok.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you're going to be really serious about your arrows, eventually you're going to need a spine tester which is pricey (about $125 minimum.) I'd also suggest that eventually you'll need a dial indicator arrow straightener (about $60.) Just fletching up a dozen shafts from some supplier won't get it if you're interested in accuracy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts