Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a 2008 SBXT for whitetail hunting and could use some help.It is set at 27in DL at 70lbs and am wondering what arrows to buy and what speed I could expect out of this combination.I know with my short DL thats gonna limit my speed but I would like to buy a good hunting arrow that might allow me to use a GR razortip or ST magnums that I shoot currently.Thanks for your help.....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And also wondering what speeds your getting out of your XT with a short DL like 27inch?? Thankyou...

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,521 Posts
can't really compare speeds since I have a 29" draw. As far as a good hunting set up that totally depends on your preferences and how much you want to spend. My setup is in my signature, but keep in mind this is what I prefer. I tend to like vertical pins over horizontal, so I usually look towards Trophy Ridge, but TruGlo makes some good sights and can be had for a reasonable price. I would recommend a drop away rest. I love my Ripcord because it gives me full containment and full drop away. Other good ones are Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter, and the QAD UltraRest. As far as arrows there are also a ton of great ones, I'm incredibly brand loyal to Easton. I've never had bad shafts from them whether it was aluminum, my old Axis arrows, or my A/C/Cs.

Basically you see there are a ton of choices. Shoot what you like and shoot what works. My XT is dressed up like this:

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,521 Posts
Nice bow but pretty short axle to axle for whitetail hunting unless you do a lot of belly crawling..
too short for league shooting maybe, but I fail to see how a bow is "pretty short for whitetails". I happen to prefer low 30s ATA for deer hunting. They shoot fine out to normal hunting distances and are very maneuverable

·
Registered
50,380 Posts
Your worried way, way too much about how fast it is instead of how well you place your shot. Speed is the very least of your worries. If you can't put it where it belongs nothing else matters. You have plenty of speed to take any game animal you desire.
For arrows?????? What do you want to shoot, Gold Tips, Carbon Express, Easton??????? You need to worry more about matching the bow specs than how fast they travel, that is an after thought(speed) IMHO.
My suggestions, Gold Tip, 75/95 XT's, Carbon Express 250 or 350, Easton carbon 340.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts