Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should be on my shopping list for materials to build strings.
I have the following items so far:
2D end serving .018
Halo end serving .018
#62 Center Serving .018-.025
BCY 452
ML6 String wax
#400 Nylon for nock points and tieing peeps in

Any other suggestions to add to the list?

I am going to order the Yellowstone Dream Machine.

P.S. What end serving have you found to best resist wear and separation around the points of the cams?

Thanks,
Jbird

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,427 Posts
.018 #62 braid...

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
End Serving?

Paul,
Are you saying you have had the best luck on end servings with
.018 #62??
Jbird

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,427 Posts
Yes, and I've also had good luck with Halo. I think the #62 is best though. 2d is also good but I use a little fletching cement with it... I also use B500 string material for tieing in peeps, nocks, etc. it's the best as far as I'm concerned. Ties in well and melts easilly.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I use 2d for the ends...when i make cables, i use 2d as the primary serving, as it tends to flatten out quick, once its flattened out, i use halo because it doesnt flatten and it doesnt wear at all...i would also suggest using halo for your center serving, personally i use .024 halo, but that all depends on how many strands you use and nock size

aaron

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Halo

I like Halo center serving for my indoor bow where I shoot a rope on my release, but I shoot a d-loop outside and it is hard to get the loop to stay put. It wants to keep whipping around the string.
Jbird

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Loop Material

aaron, I am using the BCY material that has a stiff black outer weave and a white inner core. I tighten it tight with needle nose pliers but it still moves after a while. May be because I am only shooting 50# draw weight.
Jbird

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
Jbird. look at the Brownell jig instaed of the Yellowstone. I have both and prefer the brownell jig.

The loop material spins on the Halo due the slippery nature of the Halo servings I was talking with Chris from Bcy about the same problem. And that is what he told me.

·
Registered
756 Posts
D2

Hey j-bird:

Its about time you started rolling your own.

D2 for the end loops and the idler cam servings. Great Stuff.

#62 for the serving, wears forever.

Get the CD that BCY has made by Frank Pierson on making strings and cables. Lots of good information. Tell Bob and Chris I told you so.

Alaska Sam:D

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I agree with Hoytshooter69, the Brownell string jig is the nicest I've seen. Also, you may want to consider Ultracam instead of 452. I am sold on the stuff! No movement, creep or fuzziness. For end servings, #62 .018 works best for me...it won't seperate.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,767 Posts
I agree with EPLC and others that if you want a end loop that will never wear out or separate .018 #62 is the ticket. I only use that where I have had trouble getting 2D to last.
Also what I do is mix materials. 8125 string and 452 cables. 8125 is a faster string and the bow is quieter and has less hand shock than a 452 string. It seems to work well so far on my UT Cam & 1/2 anyway.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Jbird, be sure to pick yourself up a set of hemostats. They are excellent for tightening the loose end when beginning serving, holding the loop open as you close the serving, and if you get a good set (no sharp edges) you can use them to hold tag ends in place as you serve over them.

Another helpful item is a "mini torch lighter" and some butane fuel to refill it.

I also highly recommend the Beiter winder serving tool. Very consistent tension.

Have fun with those strings. That first shot from your first string is very satisfying.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Strings and Jigs

I have heard that a lot of people use 8125 for strings and 452 or 450+ for cables. Who has the best price on the Brownell string jig and what is the price?
Jbird

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I would definitely add some 8125 or DF97 to the list as well. I usually use the 2D for ALL end servings and #62 .021 or .025 for the center servings. The halo (like you said) is too slippery for my loops as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts