Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the steps you take to get the most accurate sight tape measurements, start to finish?

What equipment do you have? What equipment do you wish you had (only to make the process easier), what program(s) do you have? How detailed do you get, or do you just say it's close enough? I am just starting the process so any and all information is helpful. I am trying to find as may different ways to get this done as possible to see if there is an "average" on how to get the best results.

If you would tell me what kind of sight you are using too please.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Hi I have used OT & others but o be honest now I just use tapes where you print a scale apply it & go & shoot at 20 & 60 yards ( for me) mark the 2 marks ( I have also do 30, 40 & 50 as well ) put these info & print. As I am only a average shot I found this is may accurate for me. I found the others too fiddley ie accurate measurments . By that I mean you hald a 60lb compound bow with sprials at full draw & get your wife to measure things . Either me or the wife or my shoulder has going to give in LOL.
Also I found out I need scales chrono etc & all adds up . Another way is go buy LAS tapes
The sights I have were CJ ANTS evo 2 Davis system & now Axcel 3000

·
Registered
719 Posts
I use a sure loc sight and first I make sure 2nd and 3rd axis is right, then I go sight my bow in for 30 yards and 70 yards, then I get a 100 yard mark also, then I have someone take my measurements for peep to arrow and peep to pin, which can be done by urself on a draw board or hooter shooter.. I also take all the necessary measurements for my arrows. I use 2 different programs I use archers mark on my iPhone and archers advantage on my computer, after entering everything the mark that my iPhone and computer give me for my 100 yards is right on the money then I'll print out the tape and put it on my sight

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I use a Shibuya sight. Since I'm a novice shooter, I sight in at 40 and 60 yards (my comfort zone) and also get a decent mark to 80 for verification. After a friend helps me with the measurements (peep to arrow at full draw, and peep to sight) I plug everything into Archers Advantage then run off a tape. Place the tape on the sight and verify the marks from 20-80yards. Most of the time, I only have to move the pointer a hair and I'm good to go. :wink:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
i use a axcel and taps . i set 20 and 35 then see what short yardage matches up to my 35 and if the 35 is dead on at the short yardage i know everythings right .

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help. The more people who chime in will not only help me, but those who are working on the same type of things. Please keep the info coming as much as possible!!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I don't do 20 till last. Unless you're pounding dime size groups you might be off a couple yds and it will influence the entire gapping if using printed tapes. Start at 25+ where its well past your line of sight.

Also....I don't use dots but a horiz strip of electrical tape. It takes the vert concentration out and makes you focus on the line.....more precise aiming for setting tapes.

Better to get marks past what you plan to shoot.

When you set the daily (pointer) to tapefinal tape, set it (& peep) at the distance you plan to shoot most.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There has been some good information thrown out here, but I am still struggling to get a grasp on getting one set up. Maybe I am over my head.

·
Registered
719 Posts
what offer advice can we give to help with this? what kind of setup do u have?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just bought a new Axcel 3000 with a viper scope with an up pin. I am now shooting a fixed 5 pin sight. In regard to the adjustable sight have heard there are so many details that must be taken into account to even make a sight tape for the Axcel. I have talked with a few people, but have found it nothing but overwhelming and even more so over my head. I don't really have any equipment to work on it myself and the bow shop I use has limited capabilities (not to bash my buddy Brent who works there). Overall, I am just overwhelmed just even to start messing with it. Feel free to PM me so we can chat some more sometime. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
ive shot the axcel 3000 for a few years now . after i have my 20 and 35 yard right then take two measurments. it takes a couple minutes to run a tape . and a couple more shots to make sure its right .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts