Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post up a review of the Sevr broadheads since they are relatively new and I haven't seen a ton of reviews.
When I bought these I had heard some good things and liked the design, flight is great with FPs. No complaints there.
I just got back from Oklahoma hunting some Texas Dalls as an off season hunt. Ended up taking one with a shot right in the rib cage but lacked any penetration, given my bow is tuned to shoots fixed blades to 60 very well, the flight is good. My bow is also bringing border line insane kinetic energy. Double XL @ 83 lbs 33" draw and 570 grain arrow. Penetration should not be an issue but ~ 1/3 to 1/2 of my arrow entered the sheep and then dead stop. no significant damage to the other side of the rib cage so it did not look like the second side slowed the arrow but it stopped before reaching the opposing side. Reasoning seems to be in the attached image. 20190721_094540.jpg 20190721_094540.jpg

The tip of the broadhead folded over significantly. The picture downplays the fold as well. The animal did die and did so quickly but due to shot placement.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
Thats exactly why I shoot a razor sharp Cutthroat machined from a single billet of tool steel and hardened to 55Rc.

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
At least post Pics of the dull to.

The serv 2.1 would take alot I'd, think to get pass thru especially an animal with thick hair.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Dang thats some pretty bad point roll over especially with not hitting anything significantly hard.

Interesting results when looking at the recent vid on here of that one guy shooting sevr heads into a cinder block with zero damage.

Makes me want to buy some and do my own testing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dang thats some pretty bad point roll over especially with not hitting anything significantly hard.

Interesting results when looking at the recent vid on here of that one guy shooting sevr heads into a cinder block with zero damage.

Makes me want to buy some and do my own testing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Just picked up two myself. Planning to try them out on whitetails this season. Their 1.5’s are said to have better penetration cause they’re smaller and the blades are swept back. That bend of the tip is discouraging though. Supposed to be titanium! What. The. Halo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oof brutal. Will be waiting for guys to start coming in saying how their 400gr arrow @ 60lbs will always get pass-throughs. Those are insane specs you are running. Bigger, sharp fixed would go through just about anything one would imagine.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Maybe I missed it in the post, but which Sevr is it, 2.1, 1.7 or 1.5? Weight? Not that it should matter much as anything should have gone through that animal with the specs you listed. A damn arrow tipped with a rubber blunt should of had a pass through.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i was trying the 1.7s this weekend, shot under a ewe and think i hit a rock and the ferrule broke. there was no damage to the tip (i tossed it before i got a pic in frustration at missing) but i thought id share. im obviously not hunting rocks but it makes me wonder a bit if i hit bone what would happen and maybe spending a little more on the titanium ferrule is worth it. setup is 68# 29 495gr arrow w/ 100 gr brass insert and 100 grain broadhead.

IMG_20190728_183937 (2).jpg

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
That’s a sucky failure. Complete failures of ferule are disconcerting. I think I would stay clear of the 1.7.....and the penetration on the 2.1 by most accounts sucks. That leaves the 1.5 as the only option.
I guess 1 out of three isn’t bad if your a baseball player

·
Registered
261 Posts
That’s a sucky failure. Complete failures of ferule are disconcerting. I think I would stay clear of the 1.7.....and the penetration on the 2.1 by most accounts sucks. That leaves the 1.5 as the only option.
I guess 1 out of three isn’t bad if your a baseball player
Makes me wanna send back my 2.1’s and get the 1.5’s. Ha. However my shots are 40 yards or less with most in the 20 yard range. Can’t imagine a penetration problem with my SR6 @60# in performance mode but will have to wait a month til deer season here in NJ to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I talked to sevr and they did say the titanium will be stronger than the alloy. I mentioned that there wasn't any damage to the tip and they suggested it was an angled rock shot causes the most stress to the ferrule (impact only hitting and stressing half the ferrule) and could have caused the breakage. On the tip only half had scratches making me think that's exactly what happened causing the break. Kind of regret posting now because rock testing probably isn't the fairest way to test broadheads but oh well. Sevr made sure I got these shipped out in time for my hunt and were very responsive when I had questions so appreciate the great customer service. Titaniums flew better for me anyways so I'll stick with those for now. I think I'll be fine with ke

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
That doesn't look good, glad you still got your animal.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I shot a turkey this spring with an original Sevr 2.1" 100 grain (I'm assuming that's what the OP's Sevr is) and had the same thing happen. Hit offside drumstick bone and it curled the tip. Arrow stayed in the bird (not a complete pass-thru) so I know it didn't hit a rock after going through the turkey. That said, I plan to try Sevr's new 125 grain 1.5" and maybe the 125 2.1" this fall for deer. The popular cinder block test video was done with a new 125 grain 1.5" and it's my understanding that the extra material making the 125's has gone into beefing up the ferrule.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,227 Posts
I only had intensions of trying the 125 1.5" and that will definitely be the only one if I try them! Kind of disappointing to be honest!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was shooting the 100 grain 2.1" in the OP just to clarify some questions. I am actually really surprised to see the tip fold on a turkey.
I did also contact sevr and they will take back my other 3 heads but pretty much downplayed the tip folding as a normal thing. They said that would happen when you hit bone, which kind of baffles me since you have to go through the ribs 90% of the time and it should really be built to withstand one of the weakest bones in the body. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Poorly designed tip for the material they use. While youd like to see the tip come through without deformity at least the head remained intact and should continue to cut for the duration of the foward motion.
I still have a lot of Reservation about the pivoting blade and how the change of played angle may impede forward motion.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts