Archery Talk Forum banner

Shafts

731 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  zillla
Where is the best place to purchase shafts for arrow building?I am fairly new to trad. archery and want to give this a go.

Martin Venom
[email protected] 66 ammo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,760 Posts
try this

Do a search here for saggitarius, they have a great deal on shafts. They are small trad shop in Calif. Ruth the owner is a nice lady and I'm sure she would appreciate some business. They don't have a web site but if you find that saggitarius thread I think I posted up there tele# there- Steve

· Registered
717 Posts
Do a search here for saggitarius, they have a great deal on shafts. They are small trad shop in Calif. Ruth the owner is a nice lady and I'm sure she would appreciate some business. They don't have a web site but if you find that saggitarius thread I think I posted up there tele# there- Steve
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=840616

sagittariusarchery.com
626-799-5726

· Registered
2,175 Posts
I would not buy shafts from Saggitarius again - I have gotten better shafts from other vendors. They say they are Rose City Shafts - I'm not so sure about that. The price is the cheapest around - but they make and sell arrows as well which I believe to be one of the problems - I don't care for buying shafts from arrow makers and I will not again. Shipping took one week - I can get shafts in one day from a guy in my same state (5 bucks more per dozen - and never had any "goofy" shafts).
I did start a thread about how cheap they were and they are good for stump shooting. :thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do

· Registered
1,760 Posts
thanks

Oh, I didn't see that one ramming, I remember the thread on saggitarius and you where going to order some. Not good huh? Thanks for the review. To bad.
You got to sell a good product. How bad were they? could you straighten up or was it grain issues? thanks - Steve

· Premium Member
5,344 Posts
The bad thing about wood arrows is you can get absolute junk. What would have been used as kindling or tomato stakes 15-20 years ago now gets sold as "select", even "premium" by some vendors. Wood arrows take some understanding, and I don't think some of the vendors really know enough about them to sell them.

The better ones I've had were from Raven Archery. Rogue River Archery made great shafts, but Paula and Cecil retired and I haven't bought from the new owner (Wapiti Archery), so I don't know if the same QC is in effect.

I haven't tried them, but I've heard a lot of good things about Hildebrand shafts.

In my experience, there's definately a lot more junk being sold than good stuff when it comes to wood arrow shafts.

Good wood arrows are hard to beat. Junk wood arrows are just that--junk.

Chad

· Registered
226 Posts
I have bought several dozen from Wapiti Archery since Rogue River sold out to them. They seem to be the same quality as the former and Dan and Kathy are nice people to deal with. Shipping from Oregon to PA is about 3 days. I will continue to buy from them. They sell either stump shooters(half price) or premium grade. Both are tapered at nock end. For someone starting out, the stump shooters would work well during the learning process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.