Archery Talk Forum banner

Shaking at full draw

10270 Views 12 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  bear_gant
Hey everybody, I'm wondering if anybody has any advice for shaking at full draw. It feels like my entire arm quivers when I'm at full draw which causes my sight to fly around the target. I'm just looking for general things that might cause it or what other people may have done to overcome this, because its really making shooting hard.
Any help would be great, thanks all!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,739 Posts
too much draw weight
To long of a DL.
you need to train and stengthen your muscles. AKA condition your self.
but i would start with your pulling way to much poundage.

· Registered
55,457 Posts
To much draw weight, lower it. Just because you can pull it back doesn't mean that's what you should shoot. Next and very important your draw length is probably too long and your locking your bow arm, not good.:wink: I would advise your go to a pro shop and have them set the bow up to you properly.:)

· Registered
1,576 Posts
I find that when I pull firmly into the wall or stop, that the movement is much less than when I am holding weakly. For example, if I draw and then relax the tension, my sight moves a lot. If I draw and continue to increase the tension, I am a lot steadier.

· Registered
873 Posts
It definatly sounds like your draw length is too long and most likely your draw weight is too high. Your overall form can come into play here as well. Have someone knowledgeable look you over at full draw and they can show you how to use less muscle to support your bow. Also, make sure you dont need food. When you do eat, eat good food. Protien and good carbs. This will help fight muscle fatique. Avoid garbage sugars and caffine, espescially together.

· Bowhemian
8,311 Posts
Fold a hand towel lengthwise into fourths. Wrap it around the grip of your bow and come to full draw. This will artifically reduce your draw length at least 1/2" and up to 1".

If this allows you to pull more firmly into the wall and steadies your hold, then you know what your problem is.

If it steadies you a little but not enough, then your draw length is either much too long -- or your problem is a combination of long draw length and too much draw weight. Bottom line then will be you have the wrong bow.

· Registered
5,440 Posts
shaking

Draw weight to high or Draw length too long, but probably a combination of BOTH.

Also, Practice, Practice, Practice. it's like a work out that gets you conditioned to drawing and holding the weight.

· Registered
352 Posts
Lower your draw weight.

I was shooting 70 pounds in the spring, as I have for the last 12 years. Well, my shoulders don't work quite like they used to, and I began shaking after about 6 shots. I bought a bnew lower poundage bow and set it on 56 pounds. I don't shake, feel better on the shots, and have more confidence in my shots. I didn't even lose much speed..at least to the eye. Helped me out tremendously.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.