Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ladies! I enjoy all aspects of hunting, especially bow hunting. During bow season, I usually use the same body soap and shampoo that my husband uses. (Knight & Hale Earth Scent) I smells great! (Just like dirt! LOL) The only problem.....it really dries my hair out. Does anyone know if there is an Earth scent conditioner? I hate to defeat the whole 'scent free' purpose by using a regular condition on my hair. But I don't want to look like madussa either. What do ya'll use?? :)

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Ive never really worried about it before... being dry I mean. My hair stays pulled back most of the time so dry and frizzy really isnt too much of an issue.

However, the very first thought that I had was mayo. Do a mayo treatment once a week or so. I would think if you did it say on Monday or Tuesday it should keep your hair conditioned enough to get through the weekend (or whenever you hunt) and it should have a natural enough scent that you wont get busted. That is, if you can stand the smell long enough to do the treatment.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
That is actually a great question that I hope someone has some advice on! I have to use conditioner on my hair or I can't even get a brush through it. I have found suave vanilla conditioner and use that but I don't think its the best stuff. I just figure deer like vanilla. I was reading just the other day that hair holds the most amount of scent on the body! Yikes!! Also, I notice people like Tiffany K. has on make up when she hunts and I always wonder what kind she has on....

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I try to do the whole scent free thing but it is really hard. Since I have kinda short, straight and thin hair I don't worry too much with the conditioner on hunt days. I guess you could just spray your hair down with some scent killer, I got me some to use and we will see how it goes. I bet someone will come up with some conditioner before long though, maybe that would be a good thing to do!!!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
RBG...I always wonder the same thing about Tiffany......I know I don't look too pretty when I am in full camo with no make-up and my hair a mess because the hunting shampoo makes my hair like straw and I can't get a comb through it:tongue: :)

I just use the shampoo + conditioner it does a good job at taking the scent out of my hair but it makes it really brittle.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I use the Hunter Specialties Shampoo-plus conditioner, and it seems to work really well with my hair--also if you want to give your hair a quick fix without the dirt smell, you can purchase Aussie's Three Minute Miracle (around $4 dollars for a big bottle) and it does wonders for even Chorline damaged hair. Me and mom use it after a long summer of swimming in the pool. Also, you can purchase unscented shampoo at the drug store, and I bet they make a conditioner too--Just some info.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
RAZORBACK_GIRL said:
That is actually a great question that I hope someone has some advice on! I have to use conditioner on my hair or I can't even get a brush through it. I have found suave vanilla conditioner and use that but I don't think its the best stuff. I just figure deer like vanilla. I was reading just the other day that hair holds the most amount of scent on the body! Yikes!! Also, I notice people like Tiffany K. has on make up when she hunts and I always wonder what kind she has on....
I've only ever seen Tiffany in a hat so that covers the hair issue... moderate pun intended. And my guess would be that Tiffany's makeup rides in the truck until after her big buck is on the ground, lol.

I also agree with absolute... treat your hair like normal but spray it with scent killer before you go out, maybe not wash it the night or morning before.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I've never tried that Hunter's Specialties shampoo...The stuff we use is some local mojo but I think I am gonna order that stuff!! I think many women forget or take for granted how much our beautiful locks to smell, so I am really trying to focus on my scent this year!! Gotta get that big buck...haha

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hi ladies.

I use Dead Down Wind. It is a shampoo and conditioner. I think it works great!
What is nice about it is that it eliminates oder on the scalp where it starts. It does not just cover up the order. So you start with Zero scent.

I wear some of my makeup when I hunt. I just shop for fragrance free makeup. It is out there. The only thing I do not use is lipstick because I have not found any yet that says it is fragrance free. But.....I have it in the truck if I get something and need to take a picture.:wink:

Dead Down wind makes some great products. I also use there soap and pit stick. Oh ya and there spray. Had a small doe licking the tree that my stand was in on Sat morning and I was freezing and my nose was running. I was looking down at her and she was looking up at me. Never even new I was there and my nose was dripping on her. It was funny.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I like to camo paint my face--I use Mark Kay Oil-Free make up remover to take it off too. Works like a charm! If anyone is interested I sell it so PM me--20% off!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Huntin'Honey24 said:
I like to camo paint my face--I use Mark Kay Oil-Free make up remover to take it off too. Works like a charm! If anyone is interested I sell it so PM me--20% off!
COOL!!
Another bow hunting Mary Kay Lady... and here I was worried I was the only one, lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also would like a good shampoo & conditioner. My husband uses the green shampoo & body soap, I think it is Hunter Specialties. It dries my hair out also. I also color my hair so I need something that will not take out my color. I hope someone has some good suggestions. I've tried apple scented shampoo & conditioner (Suave) but they are kind of strong.

·
Registered
162 Posts
my mom is a salon stylist (which can get wierd cause we have a beauty shop in our house., but good at the same time!) But anyways i've been around this all my life...and i can tell you it really depends on your hair. Like for example if your hair is always dry , frizzy, or course then you need amplify its a normal shampoo but it dont leave a sent. Depending on if you use color or if your hair is thick or curly etc whatever typ of hair you have there is a shampoo in this brand.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have the same trouble... after a week in deer camp, it takes FOREVER to get my hair back in any sort of shape! I have tried the "Dead Down Wind" stuff this year and it doesnt' seem as bad.. but i would love to see a separate conditioner... i really don't like the 2-in-1 stuff!

Another BIG thing... a scent free lotion.. i look like an alligator after a week of taking two or three showers a day in deer camp!

~KyGirl~

·
Registered
64 Posts
None

I use my regular shampoo and conditioner but use a hat to cover my hair up. I can't afford breakage with my thin hair. I also like the dead down wind products. I use the field spray inside and outside my hats before I go out. Had a doe with twins come in downwind last weekend and never spotted me so I must be doing something right.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
When I had long hair (see avatar), I used a mixture of natural oils and herbal products from a local shop to keep my hair from getting brittle.

However, I found that when I went vegetarian during deer season, my hair and skin had much less scent to cover and I stopped using scent blockers/cover scents and neutralizers altogether.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Im not a lady but have some advice.... is it aloud?

If you are looking for great scent elimination shampoo use Extreme Scents Hair and Body Wash. Its great stuff, leaves my hair fluffy for the hunt lol

Good-luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
no more dry hair

This year I have tried Scent Shield brand Hunter's Bodyguard Shampoo & Conditioner. It doesn't dry my hair out even for being a 2-in-1. I really haven't had any problems with deer smelling me even when I have used my regular shampoo/conditioner. I normally use Aveda's Rosemary Mint products. Maybe since they use only organic ingredients the deer don't mind the smell of it.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Try the old fashioned way. Take your normal shower with your normal products, and then wash yourself down with baking soda as the last step..... It is also great for washing your hunting clothing in.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts