Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you own land, plant food plots, or farm crops? Do you think the shape of a field is an advantage or an attractant to deer, their movements, entering/exiting, etc...? Do they prefer cornered fields versus rounded fields? Think about it, have you noticed a certain spot in your crop fields that deer seem to prefer to enter a field, especially if their is equal cover around the field. What if you have a large field (5 acres) attached to a small field 1 acre, would deer prefer to enter the larger field, or at the back of the small one acre field where the cover or timber is closer, or more enclosed? Just a different way of looking at deer preferences, repetitiveness..........

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Deer like corners. That doesn't mean that a field that is round will be avoided, but most of the heaviest entry points that I have seen have been corners. Also, penninsula shaped protrusions out into the field seem to be favorite entry points, especially heavily brushed ones.

Doc

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Spoke fields are great b/c deer feel more comfortable in areas that arent so wide open and hourglass type fields are great for bowhunting b/c they can create grazing funnels offering great shot opportunities in larger fields.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think anytime you can find a food source with corners it is beneficial. I always look for natural funnels, like an alfalfa field that narrows

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe the deer like having two exits, ie two walls that meet at a corner. Versus, if the corner was curved....sense of one wall, one escape? I know this is a bit crazy, but makes sense? This post, or thinking may help plan future food plots, and how I design the field, etc...

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
SmokinBarrel said:
Maybe the deer like having two exits, ie two walls that meet at a corner. Versus, if the corner was curved....sense of one wall, one escape? I know this is a bit crazy, but makes sense? This post, or thinking may help plan future food plots, and how I design the field, etc...
Yes, plain and simple deer like cover and like to feel safe of course. IMO the skinnier you can make the plot the better. You want to have a large central food plot which you dont pressure deer and then you want to have smaller food plots that you hunt, of course this is a perfect situation and not everyone has the land to do this, but i make my hunting plots as small as i can and still have enought sunlight.

Is this a food plot or a hunting plot??

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
In a perfect world.

Plots would be shaped like a figure 8,laying East to west.
then you could put a stand in the pinch point in middle for North and South winds.I also think its best not to have large
straight edges. I like to leave several trees out in my plots.
Most of my plots also have fingers that run to trhe thickest cover,these are the main entry points. sometimes you just have to work with what you have,this year I left rows of corn standind in the middle of my plots.The deer like to come out earlier when they can feed behind the corn.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
inside corners are always a good bet, by inside corner i mean a spot like you have the blue dot on the picture. these corners have produced a lot of deer movement for me in the past. easton94

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.