Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just got new set of these broadheads. They were a little different than my fps and I shot quite a few shots getting them sighted in just how I want them. My question is this, the blades still feel sharp,however, I would like them perfect for hunting season. Do you all sharpen these blades and if so how/what sharpener do you prefer? Do you use it in the tip as well? Or do you just use replacement blades? Thanks!

·
Registered
25,813 Posts
I was given a QAD full blade BH when they first came out by my nephew to test shoot and shot it a number of times into foam. I have an Accusharp that Magnus recommends to touch up their Stinger BH's, so I gave it a try and it worked great. Got the blades very sharp in no time and I actually took the head with me as a backup/follow-up due to the sharpness. Good heads.....

·
Registered
52,069 Posts
IMHO I see no reason to sharpen them. Keep one for practice and just replace the blades when needed.

·
Registered
25,813 Posts
IMHO I see no reason to sharpen them. Keep one for practice and just replace the blades when needed.
I shot and hunted with trad archery gear for over 30 years before returning to compounds in 2010. The idea that there are disposable items in archery other than rubber gloves for field dressing is pretty ridiculous. Every trad BH worthy of the name was built to be reused, unless it was severely damaged or shot into a tree and became a permanent fixture. Many current fixed blade BH's used by modern bowhunters are likewise reusable unless obviously damaged. This whole "one and done" concept comes from those using flimsy expandables or too unmotivated to learn to resharpen a quality BH. Replacement blades are the McDonald's of the archery world, unless they are broken. It gives another avenue for profit for the company and retailer, but is most often unnecessary for the resourceful individual.

9,217 Posts
I shot and hunted with trad archery gear for over 30 years before returning to compounds in 2010. The idea that there are disposable items in archery other than rubber gloves for field dressing is pretty ridiculous. Every trad BH worthy of the name was built to be reused, unless it was severely damaged or shot into a tree and became a permanent fixture. Many current fixed blade BH's used by modern bowhunters are likewise reusable unless obviously damaged. This whole "one and done" concept comes from those using flimsy expandables or too unmotivated to learn to resharpen a quality BH. Replacement blades are the McDonald's of the archery world, unless they are broken. It gives another avenue for profit for the company and retailer, but is most often unnecessary for the resourceful individual.
Hi,
Pretty good point here...but, there are times when you really do need to replace blades...bent, gouged, etc. Re-sharpening is not hard but the replaceable blade is sure easy and nice. Cheers!
Fred

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I always try to keep extra blades but I also sharpen some heads if there are no bent blades or chunks chipped off the blades. I switched to Wasp Drones last year and they come with 6 extra razor sharp blades.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was given a QAD full blade BH when they first came out by my nephew to test shoot and shot it a number of times into foam. I have an Accusharp that Magnus recommends to touch up their Stinger BH's, so I gave it a try and it worked great. Got the blades very sharp in no time and I actually took the head with me as a backup/follow-up due to the sharpness. Good heads.....
Walmart.com has that sharpener on rollback for $7 right now. I just ordered one.

·
Registered
25,813 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input. I went ahead and ordered replacement blades and will keep the other blades for tuning/practice. I may try out that Accusharp on those as well in the future. Thanks again

·
Registered
13,300 Posts
I definitely re sharpen them, unless they hit a rock or something, and the tips as well. I typically use a flat edge sharpener from a Spyderco sharpener system, but anything will do.

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
7,513 Posts
I am not familiar with the blades in this BH, but if they are flat, as opposed to having a bend in them, a Lansky will get them razor sharp.
I shoot Slick Trick and Magnus stingers. Both are very easy to sharpen on a Lsnsky.

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
7,513 Posts
I use the one that comes with 3-4 stones with a rod that attaches to the stones, and a holder for the blade being sharpened.
This enables you to hold a constant angle and gives a choice of several different angles to use.
I usually use the medium, fine and extra fine stones.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I just use the stick sharpener for my kitchen cutlery set. It works fine for the blades and the outside curve of the stick matches perfectly to the curve of the tip of my Exodus BH, so I can sharpen that as well. I usually take a couple practice shots with each bh/arrow before hunting season and then re-sharpen before I go into the field.

I'm a bit perplexed by all the disposable blade knives that I see on TV nowadays. Learning how to field sharpen a knife is not like learning to play piano. Only a culture built on a theory that everything is disposable would think that a replacement blade knife beats learning how to sharpen your existing knife. It disappoints me that hunters apparently buy them. I'm not sure what that means but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts