Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 2 months I finally received my Alien V2 heads. Heads look great and shoot great however they could use some help in the sharpness department. I have seen some on here claim to be able to put a nasty edge on them. I tried all night long and could not get one sharp enough to shave hair. I first tried my KME broadhead sharpener and it was a no go. The heads design did not allow it to clamp in to the correct angle to be perpendicular to the flat stone. On top of that the KME angle would not adjust high enough to match the bevel on the head. Once that didn't pan out I spent time trying to sharpen by hand on a medium and fine flat stone. My sharpie marks told me I was holding at a good angle but I could not get an edge to save my life.

This is my first single bevel head. I am hoping someone with more experience in single bevel and sharpening in general could give me some advice on what else to try? I have no doubt the head is capable of a sharp edge..I just cannot get it there.

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Matrix hybrid and that broadhead was tricky to sharpen because the blade edge curves from the double bevel to single bevel transition. I believe both broadheads are 0.60 in thickness and the way I got my single bevel edge paper cutting sharp was by hand. I went from 420 to 600 to 1500 then 2000 wet sand paper by hand then stroped with denim. Using light pressure lay flat to match angle then slightly lift maybe 2°and pull towards you edge away from yourself till a burr forms. Then 1 or 2 light strokes on the flat side. After 600grit it's hard to feel if a burr is formed so I do 20-25 pulls on the bevel side followed by 2-3 pulls on the flat side. Very time consuming using light (weight of the broadhead) pressure but angle is everything.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
I used my Stay sharp fixed blade sharpener on my Anarchy heads. I use auto body sand paper and leather strop sand paper from 1000 to 3000 grit and then strop. I also put some buffing compound on my strop. Works really really good and wont brake the bank. Shave your face sharp.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice. I am still not able to get them where I want but I will keep on trying. I have no doubt it is my inexperience and not the head!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Work sharp just freehand them works great
I do have a work sharp but have not tried this method yet. Would you mind detailing out your process when doing it with the work sharp?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I basically just hold the head I don’t use the guide I can’t remember what grits I use but at the end I just use the polish band and it gets them to a mirror finish and very sharp

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi, so sorry for the late reply, I can confirm the EXACT angle is @ 23.22 Degrees.

This degree was critical as I did originally do in 25 Degree BUT as I design these models on my Flight Simulation Software I change the angle, slightly ;)

Personally I would free-sharpen but if an exacting degree is required 23.22 should do it.

All AAA Products have fantastic quality SS Blades and will come up 'cutting through time' quite easily.

I did see the response via my website and I so apologise for the late reply, just wanted confirmation on this batch @ 23.22.

I hope this helps and of course thanks for placing your Broadhead Investment in Alien Archery Australia.

20200612_082605.jpg

20200616_090408.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
They are so easily sharpened, ad with the CNC Routered Cut finish even easier.

You could even go straight into LEATHER from my factory finish and you will be quite surprised.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts