Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody could give me a few pointers or tell me what I am doing wrong.

To start with these are some 05' heads that I picked up earlier this year and have shot them roughly 12 times each into a Morrell Yellowjacket broadhead target. They dulled up a little so I was going to try and sharpen them up using Jerry/NJ's method.

This is my setup (Lansky) with my Slick Trick positioned in the clamp.

Some of the heads were a little rough so I started with a rough hone (green) and then went to the diamond fine hone (gold) and then finished it off with the ultra fine hone (yellow).

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After quite a while of working with the Lansky hones it seemed like the blades would not get any sharper, so I moved onto the leather and jewelers rouge that I just got.

I did both my buck knife and my Gerber last night and they turned out super sharp by stroping then on the leather, so I am pretty sure I am doing it correctly.

But it seems like whatever I do I can not get the Slick Trick blades really sharp. I can even run my fingers across the blade without getting nicked.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Jerry?

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
From the looks of the pix, you need to get your hand lower so the blade is more sorta parallel with the leather.
I would think you would be able to use just the leather and no hones to sharpen them and at the very least, the ultra fine hone at tad only and then leather.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Whats the angle degree of your sharpner.I di mine at 22.5 degree to sharpen.And the same with my knives.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try to lower the angle while pulling the blade back across the leather.

Does it look like I should have more compound on my leather or is it ok?

Also should I be working the smooth side of the leather or the rougher back side?

Thanks for your help Jerry. Josh

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Josh, your leather looks fine and I would work more compound into it but not a neccessity.

Take your hand with the jig and hold the jig so the bottom part is lower than the leather off to the side and as you bring it back, the blade will be angled as you draw it back. You should see the end of the jig getting shiney.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Not sure if you can tell much from this picture but see the difference in angle on mine vs yours?

Attachments

·
Bowhunter
5,203 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jerry/NJ said:
Compare the angles

You bet. That's what I am doing right now. I have to hold the Lansky clamp so the arm is off the table and draw the blade at an angle along the leather.

The blade is getting a good polish, but not much of an edge.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
You may have rounded the edge, you'll prolly have to use your ultra fine hone and put a few swipes on it to restore the edge then strop it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jerry/NJ said:
You may have rounded the edge, you'll prolly have to use your ultra fine hone and put a few swipes on it to restore the edge then strop it.

That is almost what it feels like. Should I start again with the diamond fine (gold) hone and then the ultra fine (yellow)?

Here are the pics of how I am dragging the blade across the leather.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Try the ultrafine hone first and if it doesnt restore the edge in 10 strokes or so, then drop down to your next one......nice and light, just slight hand pressure.
The angle of your hand looks perfect now! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a lot for your help Jerry. If I can't get it I will just jump in my private jet and be at your doorstep in about 3 hours. lol

Thanks again, Josh

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Draw your hand along side the leather or parallel to it not across the leather.
Pull it back about 8 to 10 inches on each stroke

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread. I need to sharpen mine also, but had no idea quite how to do it. Strop, never used one of those before. Thanks again, good thread.

It looks like you have two angles on your blade? (pic w/lite)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I dig the beer advertisement in the first pic... You know.. that may be affecting your blade angle... the more you have the shallower it gets :) :darkbeer: :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts