Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be shooting a mixture of these two heads this year in a 125 g.What is the simpliest way to touch up the edge on these heads?I have a lansky hand sharpener...will this work?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I find it hard to get the blades mounted in a practical fashion to use a lansky and it can be labor intensive.
For ease of use it is hard to beat an Accusharp carbide sharpener.
I like to disassemble the blades , hold them at the base with a pair of needle nose vise grips , and give them a few swipes.
A light stroping after that just takes them to the level of overkill.
Chuck.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lansky ceramic stone

I prefer a EXTREMELY sharp blade and was not satisfied with the handheld type. I know it takes time but a scary sharp blade is what you can get with a lansky with the 1000grit ceramic stone. I don't know about you guys but I've had best edge retention with the 25 degree slot.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
For a nice touch up job I use the AccuSharp hand held model suggested. I tested the sharpener out on some beat up Slick Trick heads and with a few strokes on each side the old blades are sharp enough to hunt with again, even though I won't use them cause they are dinged and beat up.

In my opinion, the $10 I spent on the AccuSharp was well worth it as opposed to dropping the extra $20 for the Lansky sharpeners. Sure, the Lansky may get it sharper, but it also takes 10 times as long. I'm not knocking the Lansky in any way, but the AccuSharp is cheaper and the blades are still scary sharp when done. They have absolutely no problem shaving hair or slicing rubber bands with ZERO effort.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I have used AccuSharp style sharpeners and feel that they are not worth the cost. They do not get the blade (broadhead or knife) anywhere neer as sharp as a Lansky and I would much rather spend a little more time and get a superior edge than just a mediocre one.

The surgeon in our group says my broadheads and knife are sharper than the scarpels he uses in his trade (I use the 20* angle).

·
DefiantShooter
10,946 Posts
Lol!!!

BingoFlyer said:
I have used AccuSharp style sharpeners and feel that they are not worth the cost. They do not get the blade (broadhead or knife) anywhere neer as sharp as a Lansky and I would much rather spend a little more time and get a superior edge than just a mediocre one.

The surgeon in our group says my broadheads and knife are sharper than the scarpels he uses in his trade (I use the 20* angle).
That's scary!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I used to use the 20* and yes it was extremely sharp but it just didn't seem to hold up to contact with heavy bone(moose shoulder, test) as well as the 25* IMO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts