Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
can I shoot it?
17,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days back I tested these heads and they were some of the sharpest out of the box heads I have ever tested. With some ultra fine triangle croc sticks and strops these are now much sharper than the 125 replaceable blade control reading, plus the blade polishing is a nice bonus (second pic vs 3rd pic). I have got to be satisfied with these now, especially considering the thickness and steel quality. Not the ideal head for every situation, but for ultra big game they are my choice.
Scale Postal scale Input device Grey Audio equipment

Wood Finger Flooring Hardwood Nail

Wood Finger Bumper Nail Flooring

·
can I shoot it?
17,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just curious, after shooting an animal. How do you touch up your blades with different grits? Pretty new in the sharpening game. I usually do 1200, 2000, then strop
Completely depends on the damage (if any) to the blades. I go from 400 to 2500 grit then strop and use croc sticks in between sometimes.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
27,463 Posts
Rockwell- sometimes more is not better In a BH.

Its counter intuitive but tempered steel Heads with a very high Rockwell have been proven out NOT to be the best for bowhunting Due to the hard impacts.

So where its desirable for a processing knife to hold a good edge longer a BH that takes a hard impact can snap. The higher Rockwell makes the steel harder but also brittle ( like a file) There is a sweet spot there for BHs, seems to me its somewhere around 45-50R.

Ive talked to the owner of VPA, those heads hold a very good edge without being brittle at I think somewhere around 45 Rockwell. They

I know a few guys that bought those over tempered dangerous game heads from years ago and the BH broke and failed on buff ribs- tough to swallow on an expensive hunt.
Wood Tool Office ruler Hand tool Typesetting

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Rockwell- sometimes more is not better In a BH.

Its counter intuitive but tempered steel Heads with a very high Rockwell have been proven out NOT to be the best for bowhunting Due to the hard impacts.

So where its desirable for a processing knife to hold a good edge longer a BH that takes a hard impact can snap. The higher Rockwell makes the steel harder but also brittle ( like a file) There is a sweet spot there for BHs, seems to me its somewhere around 45-50R.

Ive talked to the owner of VPA, those heads hold a very good edge without being brittle at I think somewhere around 45 Rockwell. They

I know a few guys that bought those over tempered dangerous game heads from years ago and the BH broke and failed on buff ribs- tough to swallow on an expensive hunt.
View attachment 7712076
Depends on the type of steel. The tool steel used in Tuffhead Evolution and Iron Wills is more resistant to impact, so it can be hardened more than other steels before becoming brittle.

Tip design makes a different also. I had some Grizzly Stik samurai heads that looked similar to those you pictured and I had a tip break off like that from going in the dirt under a turkey. A flat, unsupported tip isn't as strong as a tanto tip with more ferrule support.

Reactions: Beendare

·
Registered
98 Posts
@4IDARCHER what are you using to sharpen them? Just free hand on some stones and strop? Or a jig to help keep the angle consistent?

I’m Having mixed results on a Lansky I bought recently. I’ve gotten some grizzly SB BHs pretty sharp but not shaving sharp. I think it’s mainly operator error 😅. Although I have had good luck on my pocket knives with it.

·
can I shoot it?
17,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These came very sharp from the factory, as sharp as any I’ve tested so getting them even sharper required a bit of work, considering how strong the steel is. I went freehand with the spyderco triangle sticks, the fine and ultra fine sticks, then the strop with buffing compound and then just the leather.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts