Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17 year old daughter wants a long bow. I shoot a compound, so I know what to consider in purchasing one, but I know nothing about these. Is draw length important, or are they all the same? What are some suggestions for the $2-300 price range?

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
maddog archery makes some good longbows for women i here, never heard a bad thing about them. only problem is they are pretty popular and he is only taking on 8 bows per month. i would call him and see how long the wait is.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,195 Posts
Samick also makes some decent bows for a decent prices - www.lancasterarchery.com
The Maddog option looks good if you can get the bow you need in the price range you can afford.

Samick is a very good option for production bows. I have 2 Samick SLB. I have the two lightest weights, 30 and 35 pounds. They are 69 inches and cost $199. Samick has other options and lengths for around the same cost. The issue is going to be draw weight. Many production longbows are on the heavy side. Not all go down as low as 30 and you may want even less. The Greatree Solo goes down to 35 pounds and is 68 inches. The cost is $199 as well. Not sure how many others there are in your price range. You can find some lower cost entry level bows. I have not used any of them so I cannot really comment. The bows I mentioned are definitely decent shooting bows. Also, bow length is an important consideration. Target shooters usually shoot longer bows while hunters like shorter bows. Often, the recommendation you get will depend on the type of shooting the recommender does -- much like you would expect with ATA recommendations from compound shooters. I am a target shooter and tall, which is why I shoot the 69 inch Samick SLB. It is smooth, easy to shoot and has no hand or arm shock.

·
Registered
76,751 Posts
My 17 year old daughter wants a long bow. I shoot a compound, so I know what to consider in purchasing one, but I know nothing about these. Is draw length important, or are they all the same? What are some suggestions for the $2-300 price range?
Does your daughter already shoot a bow?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Maddogs are great shooters but there will wait time. If she wants one right away check out the samick ca60 longbow for 199.00. You have to find out her draw lenght an poundage she can handle. exsample she draws 26 inchs to corner of mouth. an can handle 35# she would order a 40# bow cause the bow weight is measured at 28 inches an you loose about 2-3 pounds for every inch less then 28. So a 40# bow would pull 34-36# at 26 inches.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,195 Posts
Does your daughter already shoot a bow?
And add to that how tall she is and/or what you believe her draw length is.

If she is a beginner, she may want something like a 20 pound longbow. I have an old Bear Cub that is about 22 pounds that I have started beginners on. My Bear Cub is too heavy for some beginners that have used it. It really depends on size, strength and form of the person. You can still find Bear Cubs on eBay and other like bows below 30 pounds. A light bow will allow proper form to be developed. A heavy bow will lead to snapshooting, imcomplete draws etc. If the bow is too heavy, success will be more difficult to achieve and she may lose interest. She can always work up in weight. That is an advantage of starting with a lower cost bow.

If she is experienced, then you may have a better idea but do not take compound draw weight as an indicator. Longbow will be much less since there is no letoff.

·
Registered
76,751 Posts
No, she doesn't. But she wants to.
Before you shell out some money for this, you might try start her shooting with something like a Genesis, passion or something similar.... as well as a simple low weight longbow... The reason I suggest this, is my youngest boy got started with a lightweight recurve and struggled with it until his older brother and I put together a kit compound for him and got him really hooked and then we moved back to the recurve... and now I've three recurve shooters and me... a hybrid/longbow shooter... :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts