Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any drawn plans for a shed catcher rack type of thing? I'm looking to construct one and put into use sometime in mid Jan. I'm hoping to get a few sheds since my time is limited, I'm not able to get out and roam the lease for sheds. Rather than just pouring corn onto the ground in the rack, I'm looking to combine a pipe feeder of some sort into this rack. Has anyone constructed something similar?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I don't get it. Something to 'catch' antlers as they fall off the deer?:confused:

edit: apparently this is something that exists, never heard of such a thing in my life. Figured if you wanted antlers you just had to go look for them. http://www.racktrap.com/

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I don't get it. Something to 'catch' antlers as they fall off the deer?:confused:

edit: apparently this is something that exists, never heard of such a thing in my life. Figured if you wanted antlers you just had to go look for them. http://www.racktrap.com/
Ive never seen one but wat i picture is basically some sort of wire sytems like chicken wre above some grain and when the buck goes to eat the what ever your feeding him he hits his antlers on the wre and persuades them to fall off...

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Ive never seen one but wat i picture is basically some sort of wire sytems like chicken wre above some grain and when the buck goes to eat the what ever your feeding him he hits his antlers on the wre and persuades them to fall off...
Or he gets stuck in the chicken wire because the antlers aren't quite ready to come off yet.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have used a heavy hog pen fence in the past. Something sturdy an more open All your wanting is an obstruction for the deer to duck his head under and bump. But you dont want it to get hung up in it so it cant be light and flexible.

Now I use an old metal tubed gate that is not used anymore. Lean the gate so the deer has to get underneath to get the corn. Better be quick the squirels will beat you to um.

Good luck.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hang some strips of old tire from your feeders all the way to just about ground level. What I'm saying is to cut the sidewalls off the tire and just hang some tread out there.

You can also take some rebar and bend it into M shapes and build M shaped squares and pour corn in the middle of it. (the problem for me doing this method is the hog population)

·
Registered
143 Posts
it's very simple you dont need the plans simply build a feeding troft with a top on it to keep the feed dry and make the top so it is ajustable where you can raise it up and down. You want it higher in hunting season so the bucks can feed with out breaking any tines and lower it so they will hit the top when their horns get ready fall and the top will knock them off when they go to feed.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Drive three t posts into the ground in the shape of a V. Wrap two sides with chicken wire, hog panel, or something like it leaving one end open. In the corner of the V put a small piece of plywood on both sides, put a pile of corn in that corner. The plywood will keep the corn inside making the deer stick their head inside the fence to eat. If you do it too early and the antlers aren't ready to fall off the bucks will tear up the fence. We have been doing this for a while, we usually have to fix it a few times but when the antlers are ready to fall the fence will pull them off. We have found 3 or 4 full sets in the trap before.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drive three t posts into the ground in the shape of a V. Wrap two sides with chicken wire, hog panel, or something like it leaving one end open. In the corner of the V put a small piece of plywood on both sides, put a pile of corn in that corner. The plywood will keep the corn inside making the deer stick their head inside the fence to eat. If you do it too early and the antlers aren't ready to fall off the bucks will tear up the fence. We have been doing this for a while, we usually have to fix it a few times but when the antlers are ready to fall the fence will pull them off. We have found 3 or 4 full sets in the trap before.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Instead of using the T-posts, I was considering just constructing a "V" frame or actually just a right angle frame out of, say, 1" square tubing so it could be more mobile in case I needed to move it a couple times. I would then weld hog panel (rigid enough to remove the antlers but open enough for them to remove the antlers of they are not ready to fall off yet) on both sides. Basically, it would be a wall (maybe 3'x3')of hog panel connected to another wall of hog panel at 90 degrees. The top would remain open because I don't care to have the corn covered. It's not covered with any of my feeders now and it doesn't present any problem. I would pour corn in the vertex of the "V" so the antlers would hit the hog panel as the buck eats the corn. I also considered having a tube feeder gravity feed corn into the vertex since i will only be able to check it on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I feel like a bucket screwed to a stump or something would serve a similar (more simple) purpose. Bucket wouldn't tip, but it would knock antlers off if a deer's head went in.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've seen plans in a magazine (maybe F&S?) that showed how to construct one out of fence posts and either chicken wire or light guage wire fencing that you basically just erect a little trap in the shape of a > and in the back of it just fill it with some sort of attractant that will cause the deer to put his head in the back of the trap, thus hopefully causing him to get his antlers hung in the fence. I've never personally used one or seen one in person but it sounds like a good idea as long as you can take it down so they don't get caught in the time of year where the antlers won't release.

As for looking, you can do a little shed hunting and maximize your efforts by just looking in the obvious places first. Fence crossings, creek crossings, etc. wherever a deer would have to jump is a good place to start.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

280 bucks for that thing. Looks like a bucket with some bungee straps on it with a frame. I think I could probably do that thing for next to nothing.

·
In the begining God......
3,649 Posts
Ones that I have seen are made with three fence posts, formed into a "V" shape. Then bungy cord, or some sort of elastic was weaved into place. Then corn or some other food was placed in the "V" the deer would then eat the bait, and the cord would provide a way of nocking off loose antlers.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Instead of using the T-posts, I was considering just constructing a "V" frame or actually just a right angle frame out of, say, 1" square tubing so it could be more mobile in case I needed to move it a couple times. I would then weld hog panel (rigid enough to remove the antlers but open enough for them to remove the antlers of they are not ready to fall off yet) on both sides. Basically, it would be a wall (maybe 3'x3')of hog panel connected to another wall of hog panel at 90 degrees. The top would remain open because I don't care to have the corn covered. It's not covered with any of my feeders now and it doesn't present any problem. I would pour corn in the vertex of the "V" so the antlers would hit the hog panel as the buck eats the corn. I also considered having a tube feeder gravity feed corn into the vertex since i will only be able to check it on the weekends.
That will work, you might have to anchor it so the deer don't move it expecially when a buck catches his antlers in the panels and they don't fall off.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was thinking of the same concept...also worried about using metal panels / wire etc. and having a buck get "caught" when antlers aren't ready to shed.

I was in my garage and it dawned on me what would / should work well. Here's what I was thinking...(3) t-posts driven into a "V" pattern about 6' apart. Then, stretch (2) of those truck box bungee cargo nets on each side of the "V". The nets are only like $10-$15 ea. Sprinkle some feed in the neck of the "V"...and wait. Could even stretch between (3) trees since our SD ground may be a bit too frozen to drive posts this time of year :confused:

The bungee net shouldn't harm the deer...if they aren't ready to shed, they will pull free. The nets holes are close enough together to snag antlers if they are ready to shed.

What do you all think...am I crazy...I may try it and I'll do a follow-up post in a few months

1 - 20 of 28 Posts