Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone find any sheds yet? A friend of mine found a dink 4 point side on Saturday. I'm hearing of a lot of bucks shedding out already.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have trail camera pics from last week of a deer with dropped antlers. Thought it was early my self then a buddy told me he saw another one with out antlers while hunting.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
They are dropping them like hot cakes here in NE Wisconsin. Late spring and early bitter cold is more stress than they can handle. We have seen several that have shed already. When they are coming into the birdfeeder behind the cabin you know they are on the hunt for food. Here is a mature buck that bisted the birdfeeder late last week and had dropped his right side already.
image.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Buddy found a right side of a 140" that we had on cameras all year, right in the middle of his food plot 1.75 miles away from where we had him on cameras. This is the earliest I've heard of them dropping around here.

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
Most years I don't get too serious about looking until the end of February or the first of March but the moose drop in December and I've found one small antler. We just received 16 inches of snow so that will help me figure out where they might be wintering. I've never witnessed deer dropping their antlers this early.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Saw one last weekend in NW IL that ha dropped both sides. Deer showed no signs of stress or injury, just didn't have any antlers.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Buddy of mine saw one that had shed both sides and one that had shed a side this past weekend.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Shot what I thought was a doe with my muzzle loader here in s.w. MI last Friday that turned out to be a buck that had dropped already. Processor did tell me today when I picked up the meat that he had some trauma to his front right shoulder, said it looked like an antler from another buck had poked him pretty good.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Saw 5 bucks tonight on stand. 3 of them had dropped already. They were all big bodied and with big dark spots on their heads....the two small bucks, a spike and basket 8 had both sides yet.

The biggest if the three that had dropped was directly beneath my tree. The body on this thing was huge. Wide across the shoulders. He ran the two little ones off and kept all of them at bay while me are his share.

Funny to see him puff up and lay his ears back with no bones and to do that over food. It was amazing. Great afternoon on stand.....except I am looking for does! Lol

·
Looking for a monster!
8,466 Posts
Found 2 sheds here last weekend and have seen a few bucks that have already dropped. Definitely earliest i have ever seen bucks shedding here!!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
buddie found one about a week ago here in western west virginia, close to ohio river. it was a 4pt shed. so id say some of the big boys are dropping too. crazy early but oh well maybe that means more antler growth next year.

·
Waiting on Season
14,910 Posts
wow I haven't even paid attention or looked yet. Seems very early to be dropping around here WV/SE Ohio

1 - 20 of 46 Posts