Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is finally taking an interest in shooting. I got an Icon this weekend and was planning to set it up for spot shooting. I got the bow setup and my wife decided to give it a go. I've got it setup at about 50 lbs and it's so smooth to draw that it feels much lighter - she can draw it just fine.
My question is, how should I go about keeping her shooting without being overbearing. I've wanted her to share my passion for archery ever since I've strarted shooting.
Okay, here's another situation too; we're expecting our 4th child in March, so she's a few months along now. For those of you that have shot through pregnancy, when did you have to call it quits? Like I said, it's going to be our 4th child, so I'm fully aware of the associated fatigue of pregnancy. Is there anything I should do differently with her that I would normally do with a buddy, when trying to get them started? She has never touched a trigger release and this weekend she shot the Icon with my Solution 3. I've got serveral releases for her to try, but I'd prefer to keep her shooting a back tension release to ensure she never meets target panic with the triggers. Any thoughts on that?
I would greatly appreciate any insight you might lend, while I'm trying to get her started. She's my life partner and I want to keep it that way and I want us to share archery so bad it hurts, so I definately don't want to do anything to push her away from shooting. I want it to be fun and not competative, until she's ready for that. I'm guessing she'll let me know when that is, though - right? However, if I feel that she might be ready to shoot a 3D should I talk her into going?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
488 Posts
hi there..congrats that your wife decided she would like to shoot,and also on your new baby coming!i shot while i was pregnant with no problem.in fact,i did a 3D shoot just a week before my son was born.but she should check with her O/B GYN just in case...i was used to shooting at that point,where she is just starting. 50# to me sounds like alot....even though it may draw easy, i would drop it down.JMO.also, as far as being over bearing,i have found that sometimes bringing in n outside person helps.my husband manages an archery store,and when he helps the new archers learn,it takes pressure off the husband and the wife.we see some wars every now and again that could be avoided!!(even my husband and i get into it every once and awhile when it comes to archery!)so good luck to you,hope you have found a new shooting partner!:)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Great!

Good to hear! Another woman in the sport. I am waiting for my girlfriends bow to arrive, so I can relate with the excitement you have. As far as poudage goes, if she can draw it straight back without any facial changes...great. Although 50lbs does seem like A LOT starting. Heck I only shoot 53 lbs. and I've been doing this 18 years. Like I said, if she can pull it and shoot all day long without getting tired, great but just be aware that she isn't over bowed so she doesn't gain bad habbits. My girlfriend is starting with a 20-30 lb. just for the fact that in my book poundage is secondary....form and enjoyment is first.

Also congrats on the new addition to arrive in you family soon. There was a lady here at the club that shot right up to her delivery date, but i think bowgodez gave the best advice about checking with the OB GYN first. ;)

IMHO any archer starting out, if they are going to use a trigger I put either a hinge type BT or Solution 2.5 or 3 in their hand. Hands down it will teach them the proper way to shoot any release out there without the bad habbit is punching.

Look into getting someone other than yourself to coach her. It will be easier and more enjoyable for both of you. You will have to get her a member name for archery talk too! :D

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon, Jon, Jon, Now if I go and get her hooked up here on AT, WE WILL BE FIGHTING.......over who get's time to browse the board:D I though the 50 was going to be a bit too much for her too, but the cam on the Icon is so incredibly smooth it feels lighter than 50. It really surprised me. After she shoots for a while, if she wants lighter limbs, I'll get some 40-50 pound limbs. Yeah, I think I am going to keep on one of the Solution releases. The downside to all of this though is, archery just got a lot more expensive:D - Maybe she can go win some money:D:D:D

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
9 1/2 Months Pregnant & Won Shoot

My First Wife Pati Lee was 9 -1/2 Montrhs Preg with Jacqui and she shoot a 28 target field round and beat the other girls who were not pregenant

·
Registered
456 Posts
oh mike you just don't know what you've got yourself into:D . i initially started vic out real close and moved her back as she grew more comfortable. believe me, when they get tired of you "coaching" them they will let you know. just let it be fun and let her take it at her own pace. the way it is now, unless vic ask for my help, i leave her alone. stick with the back tension. wish i would have taken that route to start with too. between the kids and archery, you can forget about money:D :D does it sound like i know what i'm talking about? oh yeah!!:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shooter Mike, I agree with what bowgodez has said - 50# sounds a bit on the strong side to start off with (let's face it, women can succumb to a kind of machoism too). I'd wind it back to at most 43-45# for starters, then increase it incrementally once her form plateaus, after which, she should be able to pull high 50's easy.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
35# Please

i recomned youstart eh at 35# she is over bowed at 50# for a learner

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate your recommendations and I will not hesitate to change limbs if 50lbs seems to be too much after she gets a little more comfortable with the bow. We haven't been able to really find any time to shoot, so we can really tell what she needs.

My next question is though, for those of you that have shot through pregnancy; as you progressed through all 3 trimesters did you have to lower your draw weight througout or were you able to maintain the same draw weight? We're leaving for Okinawa Japan in October, so if I need to pick up some more limbs I'll need to do it now, otherwise it will take a long time to get them in while I'm in Oki.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Just crank Bow down to what she can handle

Just lower weight to what sheis comfortable with

Later she can go up to what ever fit her best

hear there are some nasty hogs where you are going

Tink

·
Registered
488 Posts
i didnt change my draw weight at all throughout my pregnancy,but there again,thats strictly a personal decision.everybody is different.and i think,as i stated before,i was already used to shooting before i got pregnant,and i really think that is a factor.i would go ahead and pick up those limbs...just in case!just my opinion.good luck!:)

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay - she thinks the bow is a bit too heavy for her. She likes the weight on my Conquest 3 better. Should we stick it out for a bit longer or should I find her something lighter? We're talking mass weight - not draw weight. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi Mike -

This is a tough one to answer for someone else, but let me say that I also shoot an Icon (and love it). I shoot about 42-44# draw weight. I have quite a bit of weight on my bow (stabilizers, v-bars, counter weight, etc.) but have really come to love the "heaviness" of it.

I guess I'm saying to ask your wife to try it for a while longer. The extra mass weight is helpful in the wind and really is a comfortable feeling after a while.

I can't comment on shooting through the pregnancy - haven't been there! :)

-peace,
Kristine
:cool:

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Hi. My experience is this....Before ever shooting a bow, my wife went with me to an archery shoot and just hiked around on the trail. There was a nice family there (Grandma, Husbands, Wives, and kids) who all were shooting and they encouraged my wife. One of the women was pregnant. I didn't have to do any selling on it, they did it all. Hmmm...

So we got her a nice bow, and our Grandaughters too, and told ourselves we were going to try it out. Some of it she liked and some of it she didn't.

What she REALLY didn't like was going to the really BIG shoots where there was so many crowded people, and when you're all bunched up, and people walk up waiting for you to get done, and it's embarrassing especially if your just starting. Imagine how your wife feels if she misses the bale, right while 10 people are backed up watching, and then you have to go look for the arrow...

So we plan on just going to fairly small shoots at least for a while.

Also you have to encourage her at her own level. It's really easy for her to get discouraged I've noticed. Try to find a way to make it romantic if you can. It's kind of hard to do that if you're camping around a bunch of beer guzzling die-hard archers. Try camping away from the gangs if you know what I mean. Maybe even a hotel if one is close by. Just because you have kids doesn't mean you can't be romantic.

Finally, if you can afford a camcorder, make movies showing hers and the kids fun shots (doesn't need to be successful shots necessarily) , and watch it at home. Show it to friends etc. It really makes for fond memories. Be cool about it and don't be too agressive. Good luck!;)

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice. Yea, with 3 little ones, we've always got the camcorder going? I think we will stick with the backyard stuff for a while before we move on to competitions. Now as far as making archery romantic.....I'll do my best. That, I think is going to be a challenge. I've never considered this sport as "romantic".:D Always willing to try though:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mike,

That's great to hear that you're wife is gonna get involved with something you enjoy sooooo much. I know it means a lot to you to open a new door in your relationship. I love spending the time with George. Before I got into 3D, George & I didn't really have too many common hobbies (other than kids). I don't hunt and he doesn't garden!!! So, yes, it has been a whole lot of fun this year learning how to shoot a bow with him and traveling to so many different places. I try to take all the advice that George gives, but sometimes I just would have to tell that buzz in my ear to shut up!!! He doesn't really tell me how to do things now unless I ask. I like it that way!!!

My big obstacle with archery is shooting with the kids. We'd much rather leave them with the grandma's and go by ourselves.......but we can't do that everytime. Dylan shoots but Drake is in the terrible two's and is quite a handful when we take him along to the shoots. We plan to attend all the asa pro/ams next year. We're making babysitter plans already!!! Also, practicing in the yard is kinda hard unless the kids are napping. It's hard to concentrate and shoot like you want to when you are constantly fussing with kids. Mine like to do everything they are not supposed to when I'm trying to shoot. So I pretty much don't practice unless they are napping.

About being pregnant and shooting........I was always told by my doctor's not to pick up a lot of weight when I was pregnant. I guess that includes pulling the weight too. She might want to mention it to her doctor and see what he/she thinks about pulling back a bow. Now, when she's near the end of the pregnancy and would love nothing more than for her water to break........then pulling the bow back just might make that happen!!!!

Congratulations on getting her involved!!! Too bad ya'll are moving......I would have loved to meet her.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Mike,
congrats on getting the wife involved. Mine started shooting about two years ago, and one of the first things I did was get her a bow of her *own*! Anyway, she is now 8 months pregnant, and up until about 2 weeks ago, still shot on a very regular basis. Lately, she has become dis-interested in it, and is spending much more time getting the nursery ready and such. (Nesting instinct :) ) Anyway, she still shoots occasionally, but not as much as she was.

Good luck,
--Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
CONGRATS ON THE UPCOMING NEW ARRIVAL. I first started shooting about 2 years before my second child was born. After I found out I was expecting, I only shot a couple of field and hunter rounds then it was indoor season. We were in 2 different leagues and several tournements on the weekends right up until about a week before she was born.

I did fine and did not change anything but, I only pulled between 30-40lbs then. When our daughter as born I completly gave up on archery, between going to games and events in two different directions almost every weekend. Eventually so did my husband (competitivley anyway), he still bowhunted and talked about it all the time.

Now we are back into it, now we shoot 3-Ds and that 2nd child I was talking about is now 12 and she comes with us!!! So if she wants to quit for a while, dont worry she will be back all archers get bit by the BUG and come back sooner or later!!!

But your wife knows when she is tired and when she should stop!!! Good Luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts