Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am just starting to tune a 2015 Left Handed Elite Victory 39. 30" Draw, 62#, rest @ 13/16", center of arrow through center of berger. I am bareshaft tuning Gold Tip nine.3, 30.25" c2c, 130gn point, GTO bushing and nock. I am having a 3" tail right tear @ 15 feet. I have adjusted the rest some but it did not improve and was starting to get far enough out of center shot, that I did not feel comfortable with it. My cable rod is currently setting @ 7 o'clock. I have measured or removed shims from cams, but the larger shim is currently located on the left side of the cam.

My questions are as follows:
If I cannot improve tear moving cable guard to either 6 or 9 o'clock, which way would I shim the cams to improve the tear?
How much shim does it take to make a large improvement? Are we talking .040" or .125"?

I am not expecting anyone to give me the "this is the exact shim size" answer, I merely am looking for something close and I can experiment from there. I do travel for work and do not have a bow press, so when I get time away from family at home and make the trip to the press, I need to be as efficient as possible.

Thank you all for all the help you have unknowingly provided over the years!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not an expert but here's what I did in my situation. I had a bareshaft that was impacting 2 inches to the left of my fletched arrow at 20 yards and the nock end was angled to the right towards the fletched arrow. It was suggested to me that I move my cams to the side that the nock end was pointing. It seemed to work.

I only moved the thinnest shim from the right side of the cam to the left side of the cam. So a little bit goes a long way.

You will have to play with how much to move the cam. There really isn't a definite prescription as to how far to shim.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not an expert but here's what I did in my situation. I had a bareshaft that was impacting 2 inches to the left of my fletched arrow at 20 yards and the nock end was angled to the right towards the fletched arrow. It was suggested to me that I move my cams to the side that the nock end was pointing. It seemed to work.

I only moved the thinnest shim from the right side of the cam to the left side of the cam. So a little bit goes a long way.

You will have to play with how much to move the cam. There really isn't a definite prescription as to how far to shim.

Good luck!
Right on! I have also been told to move cams towards the nock/tear. What I find odd is that elite suggests your thicker shims should be on the string side (left side for RH bow and right side for LH bow). I bought the bow used and I am left handed but the thick shims are on the left side (cable side) of
The cam which is opposite what elite suggests.

With that being said, even though shims are on the opposite side as elite suggests, they would be moving cams in the direction I need since I have a right tear. I have since moved my cable rod to the 6 o’clock position and now only have a 1” right tear with bareshaft at 12 yards and center shot @ 3/4”. Everything seems to be coming closer.

I wonder if I move the cams to the right a touch more of it would take care of that small tear and still keep centershot between 3/4-15/16”? Bareshaft and fletched are touching at 20 yards with bareshaft nock end slightly to the right (which explains 1” right tear)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts