Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a really bad nock left tear (/) Which shims do I move first and from what side to what side? Want to make sure I get this right, right away because I have very limited time with a press that someone was gracious enough to let me use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
54,202 Posts
Why do you think it has to do anything with shimming? It could be a ton of other things and the vast majority of times it has nothing to do with shimming. Could be the rest, draw length, the arrow, above all you.
What bow, what arrow, you giving no information to even attempt a good response.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Getting a really bad nock left tear (/) Which shims do I move first and from what side to what side? Want to make sure I get this right, right away because I have very limited time with a press that someone was gracious enough to let me use.

Thanks!
You want to move the cams left. Always move the cams towards the tear. Take a shim from the left and add it to the right. How much depends on the size of the tear.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
If you decide to re-shim your cams with a shim kit, just make sure the total thickness of the shims on the top and bottom is the same as the original shims on each cam. If just swapping the shims around on each cam, no problem.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
If you decide to re-shim your cams with a shim kit, just make sure the total thickness of the shims on the top and bottom is the same as the original shims on each cam. If just swapping the shims around on each cam, no problem.
This assumes the shim thickness is correct. I check the distance between the limb and the e-clip, it there is any present, add shim thickness to eliminate excessive play.

·
Back Yard Champion
34,832 Posts
22, 23 years of shooting and not one time have shimmed cams. I started late in 1998. Found 3D late in 1999 (never knew it existed). So, competing for 22 years. Got a wall full of trophies and awards (club and state sanctioned events) and killed over 40 deer in 15 years of hunting.....

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
22, 23 years of shooting and not one time have shimmed cams. I started late in 1998. Found 3D late in 1999 (never knew it existed). So, competing for 22 years. Got a wall full of trophies and awards (club and state sanctioned events) and killed over 40 deer in 15 years of hunting.....
Definitely not the norm. Tuning and accuracy are totally different entities as I'm sure you know. Some of my most amazing groups at distance revealed awful tears through paper. I know you understand this, just don't want people thinking they can go hunting with an untuned rig.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Don't change anything until you can repeat the bad tear 1/2 doz times. Trust me on this, your bow has to be in really bad shape to not tune, without shimming the cams.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
There’s no way possible you can shoot bows for that many years, and tune and not have to move shims UNLESS, your arrow rest is pointed way out side, and/or you have to constantly change grip to accommodate the bow you are shooting at that time. Now I will say this. You can set arrow rest to 13/16”, or wherever it falls to be running parallel with riser, and sight in and line tune the vertical, and vanes on a target arrow correct enough, you can shoot just as well of scores on a 20 meter shoot, and a 3D course. Bows will repeat the same track and same shot, as long as the shooter repeats the same process. BUT, BUT, when it comes to hunting and fixed heads, it’s a little different. But you can still get arrows flying well enough to kill deer at 20 and 30 yards.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
I never had a bow I didn't need to shim or yoke tune. Maybe it's my grip or something but I like my centershot to be perfect and I will move the cams till I'm there. I can't see how it's possible that you never had a bow that needed shims moved. So you can take any bow off the shelf and get bullet holes or perfect bareshafts with a decent centershot?

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
I have never had to shim an Xpedition, I took 3 of them out of the box and had them shooting bare shaft bullet holes thru paper and a perfect bare shaft out of the box, one I put 1/2 twist in a yoke. PSE and Hoyt are a different story.

·
Back Yard Champion
34,832 Posts
Definitely not the norm. Tuning and accuracy are totally different entities as I'm sure you know. Some of my most amazing groups at distance revealed awful tears through paper. I know you understand this, just don't want people thinking they can go hunting with an untuned rig.
Not the norm? Not shimming? Having owned probably 20 bows and worked at an archery shop for 5 years and never shimmed cams. Never asked to shim cams either.

I am also with Dale_B1. Poster just not giving enough info.

I'm glad joined AT before Sept 2006. Probably why I shot go well, I didn't read all the BS about tuning bows...

Some set center shot to the magical 13/16" and twist the limbs by yoke tuning or tweak cams cam with shims to get bullet holes through paper or get bare shafts to shoot with their fletched arrows. 13/16" is a reference point, not totally exact. Moving the rest in or out a bit is within reason.
What's wrong with what bow's natural center shot is? Say it's 1" and it tunes great.

The last bow I had bare shaft and fletched arrow clashing at 10, 15 and 20 yards and only paper tuned. I didn't care
about where center shot ended up. No shimming, no yoke tuning....Bow doesn't have yokes to mess with.

6 feet through 12 feet.
Wood Flooring Asphalt Soil Concrete

Outside, aiming for the hole for 10 and 15 yards, arrows hit together hard, so I used just the bare shaft, wind howling. 20 yards and wind howling, 3 set of doubles.

Asphalt Font Gas Wood Soil

Old picture, 2006 after I quit shooting Field. 3D bow, French tuned. 3 arrows in the black dot. Aiming for broken arrow - all 3 would have landed in the 5" bull's eye.
Plant Building Grass Biome Font

Bow that shot the 3 groups - Single cam bow with floating yoke - wheel and cam lean. QuikTune 3000 arrow rest. Shooting off the string with Scott Mongoose index release. Bow did it all, 3D, Indoor, Outdoor and Field.

Bow Font Arrow Electric blue Circle

Reactions: Dale_B1

·
Back Yard Champion
34,832 Posts
I don't suffer from OCD.

·
Back Yard Champion
34,832 Posts
delelted double post

1 - 20 of 23 Posts