Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has shipped one piece recurves, I need your help. i have a 70 in. bow that I may need to ship and I was wondering if I can ship something through UPS that is that long? Also, what kind of container would you use to ship the bow in? any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21,690 Posts
dom -

I usually use the USPS, you know - the Post Office. Depending on the curvature of the limbs, their long triangular boxes work quite well if you tape two together. Else a long curtin rod box or what ever you can dig up will work. They are usually cheaper and faster than UPS too.

Wrapping the bow in that thin foam works and I usaually bind the limb tips.

Viper1 out.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I USPS, Priority Mail. I ship quite a few bows, and send them all over, including different countries. I haven't had a bow damaged yet. I wrap the tips and riser with old newspapers and pack the box with extra paper in the ends.

Check around a hardware store--they usually have some long boxes thrown away, or a piece of cardboard large enough to make a box with.

As best I can remember, with the USPS the total length and girth can't exceed 108". That is plenty to ship a bow.

Chad

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A 70" bow may be too long to meet the USPS requirements. They wouldn't take a 68" longbow I shipped, so had to use UPS instead. I normally go to a carpet store and get old cardboard or plastic carpet tubes. They even cut them to length for me.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I didn't think to mention that sometimes you will run across a bonehead at your local Post Office that will give you problems. I've shipped and recieved longbows (can't remember if the longest was 66" or 68") with no problems at all--but both the post offices I use have some great people there. Even shipping internationally, the restriction is usually 108"--combined length and girth.

If you run into a problem, politely ask to see the regulations. That will normally take care of it. I've heard of folks having a postal worker tell them that a bow was a firearm and couldn't be shipped, that a package was too long, etc. I sent the page and referance number in the regulations to a fellow once when his package was refused for being too large--he went back to the P.O., showed it to them, problem solved and package shipped.

We have some good local UPS workers here, but I'll still avoid them if at all possible. Seen and heard of too many packages being lost and destroyed. If you have a problem, it dang near takes an act of Congress to get it resolved. Been there, done that.

Chad

·
Registered
104 Posts
postage

I recently sent a 66" recurve to Texas ( from Ca, ) thru USPO, priority mail. Although the package weighed 3.7 pounds, it exceeded the length standard. They charged me for a 15 pound package . Charges were $24 - , including insurance.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Sag, unless you used a really big box, you got ripped off. I have no problem mailing 66" longbows. Next time look at the book yourself. I'll try to remember to get the page and referance number for the size regulations the next time I am there.

Chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.