Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shipped a compound bow to Canada, Manitoba, shipped it on August 23rd and it still isn't there yet, called post office locally and they said to figure on another week or so on the delivery as the customs are holding it up. She said she is getting alot of calls about it. Anyone else notice it is taking a long time to get something delivered in Canada, Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There are no restrictions on the shipment of any archery tackle into Canada, that of course includes bows, arrows, and broadheads. But from experience, parcels shipped from private residences rather than from a business, tend to get held longer at customs. If I ordered a bow from Eder's or Cabela's tomorrow, it would blow right through, no problem. Just be patient, it'll arrive.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I live in Canada and whenever I order from the States its usually 3 weeks before I see it. Canada customs has to justify its budget :eek:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Is the buyer is asking questions? To bad you did not use UPS or FED/EX ect. At least then you would have a tracking number to see where it is sitting.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
NEVER, NEVER EVER use UPS when shipping into Canada !!!!!!!!!! They tack on exhorbitant handling fees for crossing the border. The best way to ship into Canada is your regular US postal service. A buddy of mine got dinged for a $110.00 dollar handling fee over and above shipping for a camera he paid 200 bucks on off Ebay. Never use UPS when shippuing into CAnada.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
terrym said:
NEVER, NEVER EVER use UPS when shipping into Canada !!!!!!!!!! They tack on exhorbitant handling fees for crossing the border. The best way to ship into Canada is your regular US postal service. A buddy of mine got dinged for a $110.00 dollar handling fee over and above shipping for a camera he paid 200 bucks on off Ebay. Never use UPS when shippuing into CAnada.
You are so right.UPS is not only the courier,they also consider themselves your broker and charge an outrageous commission.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just about always use usps for shipping anything, unless they specify something else.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Dave2 said:
Shipped a compound bow to Canada, Manitoba, shipped it on August 23rd and it still isn't there yet, called post office locally and they said to figure on another week or so on the delivery as the customs are holding it up. She said she is getting alot of calls about it. Anyone else notice it is taking a long time to get something delivered in Canada, Thanks, Dave
I shipped a phone to canada, Customs held it up for a month and a 1/2. Nothing that can be done about it

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I bought an Apex over the net and it was shipped july 26th. Didn't receive it yet! US post and Canada post have no idea where the bow is. It must be stuck at the custom. They have no access to communicate with the custom!!??

when you ship a bow, try to avoid words like archery tackle, weapons, bow, broadhead. I use to wrote on the paper, sporting goods, warranty return, sample. That way, the chance that the custom will hold the parcel is very low and you won't pay duty taxes.

UPS is very expensive but you have a tracking number that is more accurate. With US post or Canada post, once the item has been shipped, the other side must have before it show up on your tracking history.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
:eek: I shipped a set of cams thru US postal last thursday to a overseas AT member in Findland.I identified the item as "Archery Cams". I hope they dont hold 'em up.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I find that USPS is pretty dependable shipping to Canada:)

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
USPS is great shipping to Canada :) Canada Customs plain suck :mad:

Best luck I have getting items shipped to me is with USPS Global Priority service. Usually 4-6 days. Regular ground service can take up to 5 weeks.

I wouldn't panic yet. In the past week or so I've received several archery items (including a bow) without incident. Though, mysteriously, two packages from a stablilzer manufacturer have yet to find me....... weeks after being shipped :rolleyes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I shipped a bow with UPS to Alberta and I think it was there in 1 week. As far as the cost it was 80.00 dollars or so if I remember and they give a tracking number. Would use UPS again to ship to Canada.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Canada has one of if not the worst mail delivery and customs systems in the world. I won't do business with Canadians because of all trouble I've had shipping and receiving items to and from there.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have shipped to things there and it takes about 2-3 weeks for them to recieve it..

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
djkost said:
I shipped a bow with UPS to Alberta and I think it was there in 1 week. As far as the cost it was 80.00 dollars or so if I remember and they give a tracking number. Would use UPS again to ship to Canada.
But dude you forget that the guy recieving the bow had to pay UPS a brokerage fee,and it could and has been up to 50% of the shipped item's value:eek:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I import lots of stuff in my business. I have had numerous bows shipped from the US to Canada. USPS air mail is definately the most economical way to ship however allow four weeks or even 6 weeks as Canada Customs is often way behind. With luck it may be only a week.....!! Summer is often the slowest as there staff take vacations...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Canada has one of if not the worst mail delivery and customs systems in the world. I won't do business with Canadians because of all trouble I've had shipping and receiving items to and from there.
The system is no worst than in the States. But allow over-protected unionized workers to take control of it, and look what you get.

I always put or ask for some insurance on my packages. This makes the postal services accountable and you'll be able to ask questions if your package doesn't arrive in a reasonable time. If you don't, you likely loose out eventually. Been there before.

Now, since you've got your insurance receipt, start inquiring about making a claim when your stuff is being stalled at Customs. All of a sudden, people start doing their jobs, and things start to move.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Packages coming to Canada should be marked as commercial sample so there will be no tax or handling. USPS air mail is probably the fastest and safest. But I don't even start checking until 2-3 weeks. UPS (Fedex, Purolator etc.) all charge an outragous brokers fee. I refuse to buy any item if shipped UPS.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
79 Posts
UPS sucks - do not use them to ship from the US to Canada. They charge huge fees and can't track a package worth a darn,

I just got a bow from KY delivered here in Toronto - sent by USPS no problem. But did get gouged by Canada Customs for the GST and PSt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts