Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much as the subject suggests.
Shoe Goo to adhere felt to limbs, as an extra silencing strategy? bad idea? damaging to limbs?
for anyone not familiar with the stuff, it's kinda like glue, but dries very thick and rubbery, hence my thought it might be a good choice.
Idea is to use felt (or pelt, or whatever) to help silence string, and the Shoe Goo to adhere it to the limbs.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Pretty much as the subject suggests.
Shoe Goo to adhere felt to limbs, as an extra silencing strategy? bad idea? damaging to limbs?
for anyone not familiar with the stuff, it's kinda like glue, but dries very thick and rubbery, hence my thought it might be a good choice.
Idea is to use felt (or pelt, or whatever) to help silence string, and the Shoe Goo to adhere it to the limbs.
Are you talking about using it in the string groves at the limb tips?
I would think that and felt would add a lot of thickness IE string more likely to come out of the grove .

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about using it in the string groves at the limb tips?
I would think that and felt would add a lot of thickness IE string more likely to come out of the grove .
Yes, basically like this, except with the added concept of shoe goo to stick the felt/calf hair/whatever to adhere to the limb. Again, my thinking is that Shoe Goo is rubber, and 'feels' like it would really dampen vibration and shock.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Wont know how it will work till you try . Like I said I would be worried about the thickness but rubber would be quieter .
Ran into a guy a number of years ago who had made large V for each limb, they were made from some kind of(he told me can't remember) synthetic rubber. reminded me of String Stops in how they worked but were very quiet .

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man I'm going senile. I refered to an image I didn't attach. Anyhoo, this kind of setup:
F1524706B8DFD.jpg
I guess I won't know till I try, like you say. I guess I'm also worried about removal of shoe-goo, without damaging the limbs. I assume acetone is OFF the table.

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
I use Barge cement which is basically contact cement. Shoe Goo is more like silicon seal to me. I guess it would work.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Toluene,would not be good for the finish on the limbs.Like advised already Barge or rubber contact cement would be the way to proceed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have it on advice from several well known bowyers do not do anything that impedes the ability of the string to "track" in a recurve limb groove. There's no need as at this area the string is being "wound in" around the radius of the tip. If there's any "string slap", it's going to occur just below where the string leaves the limb at brace height. If you want to install a small felt patch at this area they make adhesive backed felt for crafts that works just fine....Shoe goo, Barge, Duco , etc is just additional weight you don't need and has to cleaned up with goo gone when removed.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
If you have to do that I wouldn't use Shoe Goo, like SH said Barge would be better.

Personally I don't like that style of limb treatment since it covers up the string grooves, they're there for a reason. Ideally we wouldn't use anything between the string and string grove on the limb.

That said, some treatment can result in a significant reduction in noise. I prefer wrapping the string itself with a good quality wool yarn, it serves the same purpose as a pad but still allows the string to settle into the groove.

This isn't the best picture of the end of my string but this is how I do my recurves.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's no need as at this area the string is being "wound in" around the radius of the tip. If there's any "string slap", it's going to occur just below where the string leaves the limb at brace height.
'below' refers to towards the riser, so below for the upper limb, and above for the lower limb, correct?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
If you have to do that I wouldn't use Shoe Goo, like SH said Barge would be better.

Personally I don't like that style of limb treatment since it covers up the string grooves, they're there for a reason. Ideally we wouldn't use anything between the string and string grove on the limb.

That said, some treatment can result in a significant reduction in noise. I prefer wrapping the string itself with a good quality wool yarn, it serves the same purpose as a pad but still allows the string to settle into the groove.

This isn't the best picture of the end of my string but this is how I do my recurves.

Matt this is your best bet to quiet one down^^^. Had a Brown Recluse a number of years ago that sounded like a loud compound at the shot . Bought some Muskox wool from a lady in Canada and used it like Easykeepers is talking about , worked great

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm....ok. DO I just wrap the wool yarn around the string, tying it tight at both ends of the yard? Seems like it would ride up or down, maybe bunch up over time. Is there a trick to it?

·
Registered
20,783 Posts
Matt -

Back in the day, that was done with Dr. Scholl's black adhesive padding.

Thing is, if that's really the problem, there's usually something seriously wrong with the bow (or tune).

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
hmmm....ok. DO I just wrap the wool yarn around the string, tying it tight at both ends of the yard? Seems like it would ride up or down, maybe bunch up over time. Is there a trick to it?
It's best to apply the yarn with the string under tension. I take the string off the bow and put it on two hooks, one solid and one under spring tension.

It works best to relax the string about a dozen turns or so before you add the yarn, if you wrap in the same direction as the string twist when you twist the string back up to where it was it will tighten the yarn.

Start with about 18"-24" of yarn. You need enough to wrap from the bottom of the loop down to about 1" past the last point of contact between the string and limb at brace.

Take one end and pass it through the string loop, leave about 1" and align that short piece along the string (end pointing towards the center of the string). Start wrapping the yarn tightly around the string and short tag end, this anchors the yarn. Wrap in the same direction of rotation as the string, wrap down as far as needed. Pass the remaining string through the string bundles (remove string from tension to pass end through bundles). The wax from the string would probably keep everything in place but I like to add a couple of overhand knots with serving thread to be sure.

·
Registered
608 Posts
On bows I only use double sided tape or adhesives that I can easily remove. I did use shoe goo on the crotch of my waders a while back and it worked awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I doubt it would make much of a difference with the shoe goo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts