Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you shoot a deer walking or do you wait until you have a still shot?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Arkie ,I would wait.I wouldn't want to take a chance that the deer would step about the time I shot..But that's just me.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
At a deer that is NOT nervous, walking slowly, and in close(under 20yds) I would, and have taken the shot.

That said, I would much rather they were stopped.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
for me....there is already enough factors to go wrong...so i'll wait till he stops...don't want to wound him!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have waited every shot for the still shot. It has paid off. There have been several times that I have wondered for the less than 20 yarder at a slow walking deer, how much should I lead? 2", 4", 6" ?

·
Banned
17,974 Posts
slow...steady...pace...shoot!

...But if the dear is looking jumpy, or is near some type of obstacle the might interfere with their travel path, I'll wait. Actually, I can't say that I've had that many opportunities to shoot at a dear that was completely still.

Unlike some, I'm uncomfortable using a call to grunt or using other noises to stop a deer for a shot. IMO, once they are on the alert, looking for the source of the sound, they become even more difficult to shoot. Just my opinion.

------
Indychris

·
Registered
852 Posts
It depends - if it was inside of 15 yards, and walking VERY slowly, AND I couldn't get it to stop - I might... I have had good luck coming to draw, then making a doe bleat, to get a deer to stop where I want them to, though... I have had negative results by either making a grunt, or not coming to draw before I made the call... I shoot a fairly fast set-up for hunting(285-290fps), and feel confident that inside of 15 yards, and on a SLOW walk, I could let one "walk into the pin", and still be OK - I have done it more than once - BUT, I still try to stop 'em for a better shot if at all possible... If the deer spooks at a little bleat, once already at full draw, oh well - I probably wasn't going to get a high enough percentage shot, anyways...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I don't use a peep and it's easy to get on and stay on target ,so I don't see a problem with shooting walking deer. I've shot several walking. They can do the same thing next while walking as they can standing still. Long as it's a good shot..say under 20yds. I take it.

·
74,535 Posts
No Doubt

I have killed two while on run. We practice shots like that. Not always going to stop and smile.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yeah,I have shot quite a few slooooowly walking deer that were within 20 yards and relaxed.I have years of experience and know my abilities,don't take a shot your not sure of.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have killed far more deer walking than standing still. Mule deer though. When they are walking they are not as likely to notice you draw and they are less alert than when standing still. IMHO. The largest deer I ever shot was on a dead run, about 10 yds through the pines. He was spooked by something, ran in front of me broadside and never even knew I was there. I practice on moving targets by hunting pheasants with my bow. Thats a challenge!:D I will try to post a pic of the buck on DB's bowkill thread later tonight.

·
74,535 Posts
Key

Is to know your ability. I dont recommend shooting deer on move but if you feel the shot there than take it. Far more time I pass the shoot up than shoot. Walking, not that big a promblem.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Arkie, I missed a wide racked 6 point down in a NWR last november because I didn't stop him. he was walkin faster than what I thought he was, and I just didn't have time to get my pin settled on him. I shot right behind him. from now own, I'll stop the deer with a bleat, light whistle or somethin, because I could have easily wounded that deer. one thing about it, he should be a dandy this year.;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
My pride and joy 9pt that i killed last year came trotting in at a decent speed. Behind the tree he went as i drew, he came out in the open as i stopped him with a mouth grunt. I took my sweet time as he tried to figure out the source of the grunt, and made a nice 27yard shot. Im no expert, but i will always go for the stopped shot based on that!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
It don't matter if its walking, running or asleep....

If I feel 100% confident I can make the shot, I shoot. If not I don't shoot. I know my limitations and hunt within them.... Expermentation is for the practice range.... not the field.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts