Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
I don't typically "Practice At Night"...but I do try to get a practice session in every evening that I get home from work and for in the winter months when the sun goes down early?...I bought a couple portable sodium lights...a 500W on a stand (to light my shooting area) and a 250W ground unit (to light the target)....but here's another cool option...

L8R, Bill. :cool2:

·
Banned
14,021 Posts
Hey guys, anyone here practices outside in the night? If so, how do you usually set it up?
i do, thats usually when i have enough time to practice for 30-45 mins

what i do is get a big flash light, put it on the ground about 5 feet from the target im shooting and point the light in the middle of the target, whats good about this set up is that is really only lights up the middle of the target and the rest of the target is basically ''zoned out''

i shoot about 10 yards from my porch so its enough light for me too see to pull back my bow and aim, it really helps with instinctive shooting and fun

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
i do, thats usually when i have enough time to practice for 30-45 mins

what i do is get a big flash light, put it on the ground about 5 feet from the target im shooting and point the light in the middle of the target, whats good about this set up is that is really only lights up the middle of the target and the rest of the target is basically ''zoned out''

i shoot about 10 yards from my porch so its enough light for me too see to pull back my bow and aim, it really helps with instinctive shooting and fun
Good for you GG22! :thumbs_up

and yes...it does help us instinctive types...there's been many, many many evenings that I noticed that as the sun went down and it became more and more difficult to see my target?...where I really had to "Focus Hard"?...and I'd begin shooting lights out...just piling them in there...slamming shafts against shafts...in part because of the "Hard Focusing" and in part because...

all other visual distractions went away. ;)

·
Banned
14,021 Posts
Good for you GG22! :thumbs_up

and yes...it does help us instinctive types...there's been many, many many evenings that I noticed that as the sun went down and it became more and more difficult to see my target?...where I really had to "Focus Hard"?...and I'd begin shooting lights out...just piling them in there...slamming shafts against shafts...in part because of the "Hard Focusing" and in part because...

all other visual distractions went away. ;)

yeah im not going to lie my groups are much tighter at night even @ 20 yards, im guessing were just focusing on the lit up target because everything else is literally out of the picture

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I would never find my arrows.. just saying :p

If I could instinctive shoot like some of the guys here on these forums I would have no problem shooting in the dark. In the meantime, If I want to do some shooting at night. I head to my barn and flip on the lights :D

·
Registered
814 Posts
In the winter months, it is always too dark to shoot by the time I get home, so I set this out at about 25-30 yards and let it freeze to the ground.

0174f010-ca62-4b9c-a50a-9e5335c191ce_zpsecec4d4a.jpg

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I shoot in the dark all the time. Target in side garage with lights on. Stand in the driveway and shoot. I have a sight light. If pins and target are illuminated it's like shooting in daylight.....almost

·
Registered
17 Posts
A mate and I have a night shoot once a week. We get those little glow sticks and place them on bales from 10 to 60 meters and use fire nocks in complete darkness. Great for instinctive practice.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It's quiet and peaceful which makes it all the more enjoyable and easier to focus. I prefer after hours since the level of distractions are nil. If it's a cloudless full moon no lights are needed. If not, just a little light on the target and a small amount from behind so I can see the arrow and gap is all that's needed. Who else is an owl?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
In my neck of the woods 90+degrees and 90% humidity are the rule rather than exception during the summer months. Right now it's fairly comfortable at 9pm out and soon it will be more like 11pm. I have a security light that makes just enough light to shoot and forces me to focus better so imo it's a perfect situation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts