Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
whats everyone think about the way they teased the shooters making them talk and all. ????
Teased them????:confused: I guess some just don't get it... These are the TOP PROS in our game.... The limelight is what they seek. I think they all did a great job.... Some better than others.... And yes we do know who you are and what you do Dave!:wink:

I thought it was inappropriate. I appreciate what they were trying to do but the last thing I would have wanted to do in that position is talk about how big and important that tournament is.
My guess is that is why you and I were not in that position! When I won Vegas I was flat out asked just prior to the final shootoff how much money was riding on 6 shots! My answer was simple..... $17k or so but who is counting ;)

These guys are good (PGA slogan I know) and they were given the opportunity to shine and shine they did!

I think they all handled it very well. It gave us a chance to put a face with the name and lightend the mood maybe just a little.
I agree wholeheartedly! A program would be even better with bios but that is another thread for another time ;)

Thanks much for the video, nicely done. I had to leave early and being able to watch the shootoff on this video really is great.

I enjoyed the pros speaking a bit before they shot. I've seen the shootoff at Vegas six times and everytime wondered about at least one of the shooters. This was a great idea. (I thought the mention of money by Bruce was tasteless and stupid.)

Interviewing after the shootoff is great also. Don't know if you send videos like this to ESPS Sports Center, but it would be worth sending it to them as soon as you have it ready. They may use it and that would benifit all of us.

Thanks again for all your work, really great of you to do this.
Bruce made the comments because I still think he thinks its about the money..... When in reality the money is nice but the prestige is the real prize! I would give all of the money back plus interest to get the feeling again standing there knowing you just conquered the archery world!!!! Winning this shoot is like winning the Masters in golf. It is our major and I can guarantee you any pro golfer would give away the prize money to be on the list of past champions of the Masters!!!!!!!

Winning it once is amazing..... Winning it twice is mind blowing.... Three times is legendary!!!! Just look at the names!

Complaining is easy. Leading the charge and making it happen is hard. I can assure you, many have tried to get archery more TV coverage.

So step up and show us how to get it done.
Make it worthwhile for someONE and they will!!!:wink::wink::zip: Marketing is rarely successful if done on the fly and for free!:rolleyes::wink::zip:

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
DarrinM,

I get IT just fine I was just trying to get some responses going about putting them on the spot. I understand their pros, not my first rodeo. Basically just trying to get a positive thread going on AT for once but way to step up and turn it into a negative thing. People like you shouldn't post ***Foul language and personal attacks will not be tolerated!***
I'm sorry I missed the "positive" connotation of the word "teasing" in your first post.....:zip:

I thought the video was great. I appreciate the opportunity to watch it even though I wasn't able to put myself in the position to go.

I thought it was interesting when someone's cell phone started ringing from the audience. What happens when that happens in a golf tourney??

Also, I can't remember what end it was, but I remember watching Hopkins start leaving the line when the gentleman in from of him was still aiming. Then stopped and stood there. Wonder if that broke the concentration at all for the archer aiming.
The cell phone is just apart of the world today.... No foul in my opinion. As for Jeff walking off some prefer to have a competitor leave the line. I am LH and I can tell you many do not appreciate the unintentional goat stare at times ;)

Teased them????:confused: I guess some just don't get it... These are the TOP PROS in our game.... The limelight is what they seek. I think they all did a great job.... Some better than others.... And yes we do know who you are and what you do Dave!:wink:

My guess is that is why you and I were not in that position! When I won Vegas I was flat out asked just prior to the final shootoff how much money was riding on 6 shots! My answer was simple..... $17k or so but who is counting ;)

These guys are good (PGA slogan I know) and they were given the opportunity to shine and shine they did!

They all certainly did shine, I agree. And, certainly, the attempt to get up close and personal with some of the top pros in the world was admirable. I just felt, as did some other top shooters near me ( I am not a top shooter, btw) that it was akin to the oppossing team calling a time-out to "ice" the field goal kicker. We'll probably never know who benefitted from the break or who thought it was a distraction.

I would have much prefered Bruce to give a quick one or two sentence bio, mention the sponsors have the shooter take a bow, that sort of thing. While some of the shooters are very well know, some of the guys weren't and I would have liked to learn a little more about them.
We will agree to partially disagree.... I think we need even more pumping.... Maybe next year between rounds....

I guess I must address some things.........

First off........Thanks AT - awesome video coverage. We all want big and better things for our sport and this coverage is an awesome beginning.

Secondly...Thank you to those of you who realize what being a professional archer should mean.

Thirdly...For those of you who feel that I did wrong - I by no means was trying to throw anyone off of their game. If you think that giving them "micro-phone fright", or trying to "ice the competition", was my intention, you are wrong. I by no means was trying to discourage or bother any of the finalists. I was trying to engage the finalists with the crowd; trying to engage the masses. My attempt may have been weak at best, but it was an attempt.
Do you honestly think Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Tony Stewart, etc would tell a TV announcer not to bother them because they are in a tie with a fellow competitor and the extra publicity is going to throw them off of their game...PLEASE! When a microphone is placed in front of these competitors, what are the first words they say....sponsor...sponsor...sponsor

As DarrinM has stated "It is the limelight that they seek". It is the limelight that sponsors seek. That is what brings money and prestige to our sport. If we want bigger and better things to come to Professional Archers, then it is the limelight that we all must seek, alike. It is professionalism at its best from how you dress, to how you speak, to how you win. What a huge disappointment to any sponsor if their were no "limelight".

Very few times has it ever happened before that any Professional Archer, in the US or in a forum as they had at Vegas, was given a chance to plug their sponsors publicly. These guys were given a chance to take another step above the rest, not one of them mentioned their sponsors. This is where our first lesson should come from. We will all learn from this point forward. This is just the beginning. If ESPN is where we would like to be, then we must start some where and I truely believe that some where was at Vegas this year.

Had to bring up a dresscode didn't you????? ;)

Dave did mention the sponsors... He is a PRO thru and thru!

Diane,
The one exception to your statement above: "These guys were given a chance to take another step above the rest, not one of them mentioned their sponsors"

But YES....someone did mention the sponsors...not only their own sponsors, but the sponsors of the EVENT itself...and that was...>DAVE COUSINS...in fact, if I recall correctly....he went out of his way to make sure that was part of his "interview"....

Personally, I think that what you had the participants in the shootoff do was COMMENDABLE...and it is about time that it was done. I felt that it gave a real shot in the arm to the shootoffs, and made those 15 great shooters PEOPLE instead of something inanimate and put up on a pedestal. Interaction with the audience, be it even brief as it was...is, IMHO, a good thing, and this should become a standard part of the shootoff in the WAF and NFAA when applicable.

The only thing I might add....at the conclusion, it would have been even better to have interviewed Michale Braden as well as the winner, Dave Cousins.

I don't think it was a diversion at all, nor was it any attempt on anyone's part to "ICE" the competitors.....everyone was treated equally....and fair, and given the opportunity to say whatever they wanted (within reason, and a mixed audience standpoint, haha). You don't "ICE" those guys.....they LOVE IT and the attention, and it probably helps settle them down and start THINKING. Next time, everyone will expect this, and I feel it should be done everytime from this point forward.

GOOD JOB, DIANE...and I commend you for getting outside the box with some INSIGHT AND FORESIGHT...and some PROACTIVE type of PROmotion of the PROfessional and Championship Divisions!

field14:confused::wink::tongue:

I agree!!!!!!! Good job to both Dave and Diane!!!!!!!!

What a fantastic Ambasador of the sport he is. Congratulations to a deserving winner at Vegas and I really enjoyed the video. One day I hope to shoot as well! Keep up the good work Dave.:wink::cool:
As misunderstood as Dave is at times he is still a good guy and a even better shooter.... Congrats to him!

This is my first exposure to vegas and everything that it entails and I must thank you for sharing the video. I see some comments about getting this event national TV coverage and I agree that the event has potential for national coverage however the format that is in this video does not lend itself to the average TV viewer. There is too much going on in the initial rounds. TV viewers need to focus on smaller situations (ie a golfer trying to reach a par 5 in 2 or a poker player trying to bluff with a 10 6 offsuit) to maintain interest. The format needs to be broken down into smaller groups possibly at a slower pace so that there will be room for commentary and time for viewers to think about what is going through the archers mind as they are taking the shot. Sports on TV is all about relating to the athlete and the format of this event could be tweaked to cater to that.
Check out the Face To Face tournament in France... That may be the format you are trying to describe. I think it may be something we need to look at. Maybe a Friday or Saturday night Face to Face shoot in Vegas for some cash!!! All to further the sport of course.... Hired guns from each manufacturer heading into the forum to shoot for the honor of the companies.... Martin vs. Hoyt vs. Matthews vs. PSE so on.....

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
Yes...my bad. Dave did mention his sponsors. :)

Yes...it would have been great to get an interview from Michael. I, however, didn't think of doing that.:sad:

They are all great guys and should be applauded for their achievements.

The point is that AT did an awesome job with the video and I tried to go outside of the box. Thanks to all of you who realize that.
I hope that the Pro's that disapprove or approve of my actions will come to the Pro meeting in Louisville at 9am on Sunday in the NFAA skybox. Further discussion is obviously needed.

Great job and continue to think OUTSIDE that box..... Think mushers!!!! They got it all going on!:eek::wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.