22806 86
Here is the final version of the video.

http://www.archeryhistory.com/vegas2008/at08vegasshootoff.wmv

admin
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
I thought they handles that very well. With all the nerves it may have helped cut the tension a little but I doubt it.

What impressed me most was in the final shoot off after Braden shot his "9" the crowd started to get kinda loud. You know the pressure that had to be on Cuz for that last arrow? Holy ^$%&!!!! And he stepped up and pinned it like a true PRO.......

W-O-W!!!

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
The last arrow shot by both Dave and Michael were each dead nuts centered! Mike knew he had to do it to stand any chance, and Dave had to do it to make sure the nail was in....PRESSURE and yet...the last arrow of the tournament was DRILLED.

I thought the interview thing was one of the neatest things I've seen in quite some time. The new Pro Chairman is to be commended for her thinking out of the box. This really helped MAKE the shootoff even better and personalized it a ton for the spectators. Getting to HEAR the shooters speak and react was, IMHO something very special, and should become a "standard" from which to go forth.

I would have liked to have heard and seen another interview, not only with Dave (the winner) but with Micheal Braden as well...that would have been so appropriate.

I like the idea of personalizing those PROS to the people and to each other. There was no unequal amount of pressure put onto any of them, since each had to deal with it in their own way and quell their own butterflies anyways.

It was quite thrilling to be up in the stands in a position to thoroughly scope out each and every shot and "make the call"....and be right in all cases but one...for a change, hahahaha.

field14

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
there was no pressure at all wolfy. you didnt by chance see that little smirk he gave when dave knew what happened?

great coverage as always guys.

Oh yeah, I seen it. But "IF" it were me, well I know my shorts would have not made the trip home knowing I HAD to shoot a baby X 10 for, what, guaranteed at least $30k.

No way. I would have shot the ceiling, lol.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Shoot off Video

Thanks for the opportunity to watch the Vegas Shoot-off AT and please take no offense BUT...... I agree about the need for this to be picked up by the sports channel. So why don't big corps.(Budweiser or COCA COLA) sponsor archery tournaments including 3d? The prize money could be as much as golf or angler championships. Look at all those bass fisherman tournaments and their sponsors! The large bow/arrow manufacturers need to be working this out. Heck Mathews has their own TV show now, they could run it. Somebody tell them. PLEASE!!!
Live would be nice.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Thanks for the video AT! It was fun to watch all the big names at the line. As far as the intros I thought it was kinda a cool thing to do. Heck those guys are pros so it shouldn't wreck their concentration. Thanks again AT! Sean

·
Registered
101 Posts
live tv

hei guys, dont you all share the same oppinion that archery is just as important as any other sport?
now how come its never seen on tv exept for those hunting shows on the outdoor channel,which by the way i enjoy so much watching, but it always seems that when it comes to target,3d or field....nada, you can search until you run out of channels.
this doesnt only happen here, the same bs happens overseas.
there doesnt seem to be enough efford done by ower leaders in the sport for some reason or other.please lets get the ball or should i say arrow flying ,and start reaching for coverage of our sport, by the way one of the oldest in history.
sorry if im being a pain, but it angers me as an archer that we dont get the respect that the sport deserves.

and yes there are the big companys like coca-cola & budwise to mention a few, would willingly sponsor this.:wink:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thanks much for the video, nicely done. I had to leave early and being able to watch the shootoff on this video really is great.

I enjoyed the pros speaking a bit before they shot. I've seen the shootoff at Vegas six times and everytime wondered about at least one of the shooters. This was a great idea. (I thought the mention of money by Bruce was tasteless and stupid.)

Interviewing after the shootoff is great also. Don't know if you send videos like this to ESPS Sports Center, but it would be worth sending it to them as soon as you have it ready. They may use it and that would benifit all of us.

Thanks again for all your work, really great of you to do this.

·
Premium Member
20,343 Posts
hei guys, dont you all share the same oppinion that archery is just as important as any other sport?
now how come its never seen on tv exept for those hunting shows on the outdoor channel,which by the way i enjoy so much watching, but it always seems that when it comes to target,3d or field....nada, you can search until you run out of channels.
this doesnt only happen here, the same bs happens overseas.
there doesnt seem to be enough efford done by ower leaders in the sport for some reason or other.please lets get the ball or should i say arrow flying ,and start reaching for coverage of our sport, by the way one of the oldest in history.
sorry if im being a pain, but it angers me as an archer that we dont get the respect that the sport deserves.

and yes there are the big companys like coca-cola & budwise to mention a few, would willingly sponsor this.:wink:
Complaining is easy. Leading the charge and making it happen is hard. I can assure you, many have tried to get archery more TV coverage.

So step up and show us how to get it done.

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
whats everyone think about the way they teased the shooters making them talk and all. ????
Teased them????:confused: I guess some just don't get it... These are the TOP PROS in our game.... The limelight is what they seek. I think they all did a great job.... Some better than others.... And yes we do know who you are and what you do Dave!:wink:

I thought it was inappropriate. I appreciate what they were trying to do but the last thing I would have wanted to do in that position is talk about how big and important that tournament is.
My guess is that is why you and I were not in that position! When I won Vegas I was flat out asked just prior to the final shootoff how much money was riding on 6 shots! My answer was simple..... $17k or so but who is counting ;)

These guys are good (PGA slogan I know) and they were given the opportunity to shine and shine they did!

I think they all handled it very well. It gave us a chance to put a face with the name and lightend the mood maybe just a little.
I agree wholeheartedly! A program would be even better with bios but that is another thread for another time ;)

Thanks much for the video, nicely done. I had to leave early and being able to watch the shootoff on this video really is great.

I enjoyed the pros speaking a bit before they shot. I've seen the shootoff at Vegas six times and everytime wondered about at least one of the shooters. This was a great idea. (I thought the mention of money by Bruce was tasteless and stupid.)

Interviewing after the shootoff is great also. Don't know if you send videos like this to ESPS Sports Center, but it would be worth sending it to them as soon as you have it ready. They may use it and that would benifit all of us.

Thanks again for all your work, really great of you to do this.
Bruce made the comments because I still think he thinks its about the money..... When in reality the money is nice but the prestige is the real prize! I would give all of the money back plus interest to get the feeling again standing there knowing you just conquered the archery world!!!! Winning this shoot is like winning the Masters in golf. It is our major and I can guarantee you any pro golfer would give away the prize money to be on the list of past champions of the Masters!!!!!!!

Winning it once is amazing..... Winning it twice is mind blowing.... Three times is legendary!!!! Just look at the names!

Complaining is easy. Leading the charge and making it happen is hard. I can assure you, many have tried to get archery more TV coverage.

So step up and show us how to get it done.
Make it worthwhile for someONE and they will!!!:wink::wink::zip: Marketing is rarely successful if done on the fly and for free!:rolleyes::wink::zip:

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Good post DarrinM. It would seem you get IT.

The intro idea was fantastic. I bet it loosened up some of the contestants. For some, speaking in public on a microphone is one of the most frightening things they know. Shooting the shootoff after was likely a relief for those types.

For those that don't understand, this is the kind of thing you need to get used to as a pro. Interviews before and after etc. It is that way in all sports. If you can't hack it, you don't go pro. Being a pro means being in the limelight, not in some dark closet. Being a pro isn't just about shooting good, it is about many things. As a pro, you are the most visible face of archery to the masses. It is the Pro that will likely be the archer that will have to draw the outside spectators that are not archers. There are many other things. If you want archery to continue to be a backyard sport, get rid of the Pro class.

The intro thing that was done this year should be a standard from now on. Those are the things that are going to promote the sport.

The proper way to set the stage is having the shooter intros. We need more personality injected into our tournaments like this. Archers are not robotic clones. To grow archery as a spectator sport, you need personality. You need to draw in the audience, not make it like some clinical observation of a surgery in progress etc. That is boring and very dry. To grow archery, you need to make it a spectator sport. The intros are one of the things we can do. Great job Diane!!!!

Bruce has always tried to set the stage by mentioning money in every shootoff I have seen. The pro archers are not going to be scared silly by that. They are used to shooting for money. If they have their head on straight, they are only thinking of one thing. Hitting the X. Most are not even listening to him I would say. What Bruce is saying is for the audience, not the shooters in the shootoff.

If you are thinking about money or winning when you are up on the line for the shootoff, you are not going to realize those things.

It would seem that some would like to sequester the shootoff archers somewhere until the stage is set for the spectators????? Yes, lets insulate those poor souls from the excitement so they can deal with it better. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
769 Posts
DarrinM, Great post.

I agree with you totally. I've been to many of the big golf tournaments and you are right on the money. I've also been to a few championship boxing events and it's the same there.

The reason I think the comment about money was tasteless is because it's like you said. At that point, it's no longer about the money. (IMO) And... the interviews were great. Using the golf analogy, before a sudden death shoot off, many times they interview the players, sometimes the camera and interviewer is with a player in the clubhouse, or on the practice green speaking about the potential playoff. All great stuff. After the playoff, interviews with the winners and second, third places... again great stuff.

But you won't see anyone ask the players between the sudden death playoff holes if they're thinking about the money yet. IMO, didn't show very much class and it took away from the moment of competition. Again, my opinion.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Good post DarrinM. It would seem you get IT.

The intro idea was fantastic. I bet it loosened up some of the contestants. For some, speaking in public on a microphone is one of the most frightening things they know. Shooting the shootoff after was likely a relief for those types.

For those that don't understand, this is the kind of thing you need to get used to as a pro. Interviews before and after etc. It is that way in all sports. If you can't hack it, you don't go pro. Being a pro means being in the limelight, not in some dark closet. Being a pro isn't just about shooting good, it is about many things. As a pro, you are the most visible face of archery to the masses. It is the Pro that will likely be the archer that will have to draw the outside spectators that are not archers. There are many other things. If you want archery to continue to be a backyard sport, get rid of the Pro class.

The intro thing that was done this year should be a standard from now on. Those are the things that are going to promote the sport.

The proper way to set the stage is having the shooter intros. We need more personality injected into our tournaments like this. Archers are not robotic clones. To grow archery as a spectator sport, you need personality. You need to draw in the audience, not make it like some clinical observation of a surgery in progress etc. That is boring and very dry. To grow archery, you need to make it a spectator sport. The intros are one of the things we can do. Great job Diane!!!!

Bruce has always tried to set the stage by mentioning money in every shootoff I have seen. The pro archers are not going to be scared silly by that. They are used to shooting for money. If they have their head on straight, they are only thinking of one thing. Hitting the X. Most are not even listening to him I would say. What Bruce is saying is for the audience, not the shooters in the shootoff.

If you are thinking about money or winning when you are up on the line for the shootoff, you are not going to realize those things.

It would seem that some would like to sequester the shootoff archers somewhere until the stage is set for the spectators????? Yes, lets insulate those poor souls from the excitement so they can deal with it better. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Wow two excellent posts in a row. Thanks Darrin and Swamster:thumbs_up You don't pick a pro sports career because youre an introvert.

Curious though, that the guy that doesn't get IT is the head of the org:confused:

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.