Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Did anyone notice the reaction of the crowd when Braden missed his arrow? I thought that wasn't polite by the crowd. If I was Braden that would have made me just shrink. It was good by Braden to put his final arrow right dead center though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Murmers in the crowd... Man you just couldn't help it. The intesity in the room was electric. It would have been interesting to have some gizmos on the crowd to see everyones BP and heart rate were. I was just watching and I was keyed up. We were hanging on every shot and riding the roller coaster with them. I bet they didn't even hear it.

I thought the interviews were really a cool thing. Everyone kind of looked at each other when they anounced they were going to do it. The Guys handled it with class and for some I think it did take a bit of the edge off. Really these guys are pros, and they put it all behind them when they started their shot sequence and shot preparation.

It was really a great experience and look forward to seeing it again!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Comparisons to PGA golf......

The only thing close would be to have 15 or so Tiger Woods in the same tournament.

·
Registered
329 Posts
DarrinM,

I get IT just fine I was just trying to get some responses going about putting them on the spot. I understand their pros, not my first rodeo. Basically just trying to get a positive thread going on AT for once but way to step up and turn it into a negative thing. People like you shouldn't post ***Foul language and personal attacks will not be tolerated!***

·
Registered
819 Posts
DarrinM,

I get IT just fine I was just trying to get some responses going about putting them on the spot. I understand their pros, not my first rodeo. Basically just trying to get a positive thread going on AT for once but way to step up and turn it into a negative thing. People like you shouldn't post *** foul language and personal attacks will not be tolerated ***

looks like someone needs a time out!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
616 Posts
DarrinM,

I get IT just fine I was just trying to get some responses going about putting them on the spot. I understand their pros, not my first rodeo. Basically just trying to get a positive thread going on AT for once but way to step up and turn it into a negative thing. People like you shouldn't post ***foul language and personal attacks will not be tolerated***
Dude...relax, really.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I thought the video was great. I appreciate the opportunity to watch it even though I wasn't able to put myself in the position to go.

I thought it was interesting when someone's cell phone started ringing from the audience. What happens when that happens in a golf tourney??

Also, I can't remember what end it was, but I remember watching Hopkins start leaving the line when the gentleman in from of him was still aiming. Then stopped and stood there. Wonder if that broke the concentration at all for the archer aiming.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the opportuntity to watch the shoot off. The tension was absolutely unbearable, I watched it again this morning. I can't even begin to get my head where those guys were. Complete and total utter respect, Heroes, one and all

·
Registered
382 Posts
Teased them????:confused: I guess some just don't get it... These are the TOP PROS in our game.... The limelight is what they seek. I think they all did a great job.... Some better than others.... And yes we do know who you are and what you do Dave!:wink:

My guess is that is why you and I were not in that position! When I won Vegas I was flat out asked just prior to the final shootoff how much money was riding on 6 shots! My answer was simple..... $17k or so but who is counting ;)

These guys are good (PGA slogan I know) and they were given the opportunity to shine and shine they did!

They all certainly did shine, I agree. And, certainly, the attempt to get up close and personal with some of the top pros in the world was admirable. I just felt, as did some other top shooters near me ( I am not a top shooter, btw) that it was akin to the oppossing team calling a time-out to "ice" the field goal kicker. We'll probably never know who benefitted from the break or who thought it was a distraction.

I would have much prefered Bruce to give a quick one or two sentence bio, mention the sponsors have the shooter take a bow, that sort of thing. While some of the shooters are very well know, some of the guys weren't and I would have liked to learn a little more about them.

·
Joeah
221 Posts
Vegas Shoot Off

This is a great video! It captures the excitement of the event perfectly. I especially liked the complete shot sequence of the top competitors. That alone would make it great, but it is much more than that. I hope we will be able to purchase a copy.

Joeah

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I guess I must address some things.........

First off........Thanks AT - awesome video coverage. We all want big and better things for our sport and this coverage is an awesome beginning.

Secondly...Thank you to those of you who realize what being a professional archer should mean.

Thirdly...For those of you who feel that I did wrong - I by no means was trying to throw anyone off of their game. If you think that giving them "micro-phone fright", or trying to "ice the competition", was my intention, you are wrong. I by no means was trying to discourage or bother any of the finalists. I was trying to engage the finalists with the crowd; trying to engage the masses. My attempt may have been weak at best, but it was an attempt.
Do you honestly think Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Tony Stewart, etc would tell a TV announcer not to bother them because they are in a tie with a fellow competitor and the extra publicity is going to throw them off of their game...PLEASE! When a microphone is placed in front of these competitors, what are the first words they say....sponsor...sponsor...sponsor

As DarrinM has stated "It is the limelight that they seek". It is the limelight that sponsors seek. That is what brings money and prestige to our sport. If we want bigger and better things to come to Professional Archers, then it is the limelight that we all must seek, alike. It is professionalism at its best from how you dress, to how you speak, to how you win. What a huge disappointment to any sponsor if their were no "limelight".

Very few times has it ever happened before that any Professional Archer, in the US or in a forum as they had at Vegas, was given a chance to plug their sponsors publicly. These guys were given a chance to take another step above the rest, not one of them mentioned their sponsors. This is where our first lesson should come from. We will all learn from this point forward. This is just the beginning. If ESPN is where we would like to be, then we must start some where and I truely believe that some where was at Vegas this year.

·
Registered
13,177 Posts

First off........Thanks AT - awesome video coverage. We all want big and better things for our sport and this coverage is an awesome beginning.

Secondly...Thank you to those of you who realize what being a professional archer should mean.

Thirdly...For those of you who feel that I did wrong - I by no means was trying to throw anyone off of their game. If you think that giving them "micro-phone fright", or trying to "ice the competition", was my intention, you are wrong. I by no means was trying to discourage or bother any of the finalists. I was trying to engage the finalists with the crowd; trying to engage the masses. My attempt may have been weak at best, but it was an attempt.
Do you honestly think Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Tony Stewart, etc would tell a TV announcer not to bother them because they are in a tie with a fellow competitor and the extra publicity is going to throw them off of their game...PLEASE! When a microphone is placed in front of these competitors, what are the first words they say....sponsor...sponsor...sponsor

As DarrinM has stated "It is the limelight that they seek". It is the limelight that sponsors seek. That is what brings money and prestige to our sport. If we want bigger and better things to come to Professional Archers, then it is the limelight that we all must seek, alike. It is professionalism at its best from how you dress, to how you speak, to how you win. What a huge disappointment to any sponsor if their were no "limelight".

Very few times has it ever happened before that any Professional Archer, in the US or in a forum as they had at Vegas, was given a chance to plug their sponsors publicly. These guys were given a chance to take another step above the rest, not one of them mentioned their sponsors. This is where our first lesson should come from. We will all learn from this point forward. This is just the beginning. If ESPN is where we would like to be, then we must start some where and I truely believe that some where was at Vegas this year.
Diane,
The one exception to your statement above: "These guys were given a chance to take another step above the rest, not one of them mentioned their sponsors"

But YES....someone did mention the sponsors...not only their own sponsors, but the sponsors of the EVENT itself...and that was...>DAVE COUSINS...in fact, if I recall correctly....he went out of his way to make sure that was part of his "interview"....

Personally, I think that what you had the participants in the shootoff do was COMMENDABLE...and it is about time that it was done. I felt that it gave a real shot in the arm to the shootoffs, and made those 15 great shooters PEOPLE instead of something inanimate and put up on a pedestal. Interaction with the audience, be it even brief as it was...is, IMHO, a good thing, and this should become a standard part of the shootoff in the WAF and NFAA when applicable.

The only thing I might add....at the conclusion, it would have been even better to have interviewed Michale Braden as well as the winner, Dave Cousins.

I don't think it was a diversion at all, nor was it any attempt on anyone's part to "ICE" the competitors.....everyone was treated equally....and fair, and given the opportunity to say whatever they wanted (within reason, and a mixed audience standpoint, haha). You don't "ICE" those guys.....they LOVE IT and the attention, and it probably helps settle them down and start THINKING. Next time, everyone will expect this, and I feel it should be done everytime from this point forward.

GOOD JOB, DIANE...and I commend you for getting outside the box with some INSIGHT AND FORESIGHT...and some PROACTIVE type of PROmotion of the PROfessional and Championship Divisions!

field14:confused::wink::tongue:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dave Cousins

What a fantastic Ambasador of the sport he is. Congratulations to a deserving winner at Vegas and I really enjoyed the video. One day I hope to shoot as well! Keep up the good work Dave.:wink::cool:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
This is my first exposure to vegas and everything that it entails and I must thank you for sharing the video. I see some comments about getting this event national TV coverage and I agree that the event has potential for national coverage however the format that is in this video does not lend itself to the average TV viewer. There is too much going on in the initial rounds. TV viewers need to focus on smaller situations (ie a golfer trying to reach a par 5 in 2 or a poker player trying to bluff with a 10 6 offsuit) to maintain interest. The format needs to be broken down into smaller groups possibly at a slower pace so that there will be room for commentary and time for viewers to think about what is going through the archers mind as they are taking the shot. Sports on TV is all about relating to the athlete and the format of this event could be tweaked to cater to that.

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
DarrinM,

I get IT just fine I was just trying to get some responses going about putting them on the spot. I understand their pros, not my first rodeo. Basically just trying to get a positive thread going on AT for once but way to step up and turn it into a negative thing. People like you shouldn't post ***Foul language and personal attacks will not be tolerated!***
I'm sorry I missed the "positive" connotation of the word "teasing" in your first post.....:zip:

I thought the video was great. I appreciate the opportunity to watch it even though I wasn't able to put myself in the position to go.

I thought it was interesting when someone's cell phone started ringing from the audience. What happens when that happens in a golf tourney??

Also, I can't remember what end it was, but I remember watching Hopkins start leaving the line when the gentleman in from of him was still aiming. Then stopped and stood there. Wonder if that broke the concentration at all for the archer aiming.
The cell phone is just apart of the world today.... No foul in my opinion. As for Jeff walking off some prefer to have a competitor leave the line. I am LH and I can tell you many do not appreciate the unintentional goat stare at times ;)

Teased them????:confused: I guess some just don't get it... These are the TOP PROS in our game.... The limelight is what they seek. I think they all did a great job.... Some better than others.... And yes we do know who you are and what you do Dave!:wink:

My guess is that is why you and I were not in that position! When I won Vegas I was flat out asked just prior to the final shootoff how much money was riding on 6 shots! My answer was simple..... $17k or so but who is counting ;)

These guys are good (PGA slogan I know) and they were given the opportunity to shine and shine they did!

They all certainly did shine, I agree. And, certainly, the attempt to get up close and personal with some of the top pros in the world was admirable. I just felt, as did some other top shooters near me ( I am not a top shooter, btw) that it was akin to the oppossing team calling a time-out to "ice" the field goal kicker. We'll probably never know who benefitted from the break or who thought it was a distraction.

I would have much prefered Bruce to give a quick one or two sentence bio, mention the sponsors have the shooter take a bow, that sort of thing. While some of the shooters are very well know, some of the guys weren't and I would have liked to learn a little more about them.
We will agree to partially disagree.... I think we need even more pumping.... Maybe next year between rounds....

Had to bring up a dresscode didn't you????? ;)

Dave did mention the sponsors... He is a PRO thru and thru!

Diane,
The one exception to your statement above: "These guys were given a chance to take another step above the rest, not one of them mentioned their sponsors"

But YES....someone did mention the sponsors...not only their own sponsors, but the sponsors of the EVENT itself...and that was...>DAVE COUSINS...in fact, if I recall correctly....he went out of his way to make sure that was part of his "interview"....

Personally, I think that what you had the participants in the shootoff do was COMMENDABLE...and it is about time that it was done. I felt that it gave a real shot in the arm to the shootoffs, and made those 15 great shooters PEOPLE instead of something inanimate and put up on a pedestal. Interaction with the audience, be it even brief as it was...is, IMHO, a good thing, and this should become a standard part of the shootoff in the WAF and NFAA when applicable.

The only thing I might add....at the conclusion, it would have been even better to have interviewed Michale Braden as well as the winner, Dave Cousins.

I don't think it was a diversion at all, nor was it any attempt on anyone's part to "ICE" the competitors.....everyone was treated equally....and fair, and given the opportunity to say whatever they wanted (within reason, and a mixed audience standpoint, haha). You don't "ICE" those guys.....they LOVE IT and the attention, and it probably helps settle them down and start THINKING. Next time, everyone will expect this, and I feel it should be done everytime from this point forward.

GOOD JOB, DIANE...and I commend you for getting outside the box with some INSIGHT AND FORESIGHT...and some PROACTIVE type of PROmotion of the PROfessional and Championship Divisions!

field14:confused::wink::tongue:

I agree!!!!!!! Good job to both Dave and Diane!!!!!!!!

What a fantastic Ambasador of the sport he is. Congratulations to a deserving winner at Vegas and I really enjoyed the video. One day I hope to shoot as well! Keep up the good work Dave.:wink::cool:
As misunderstood as Dave is at times he is still a good guy and a even better shooter.... Congrats to him!

This is my first exposure to vegas and everything that it entails and I must thank you for sharing the video. I see some comments about getting this event national TV coverage and I agree that the event has potential for national coverage however the format that is in this video does not lend itself to the average TV viewer. There is too much going on in the initial rounds. TV viewers need to focus on smaller situations (ie a golfer trying to reach a par 5 in 2 or a poker player trying to bluff with a 10 6 offsuit) to maintain interest. The format needs to be broken down into smaller groups possibly at a slower pace so that there will be room for commentary and time for viewers to think about what is going through the archers mind as they are taking the shot. Sports on TV is all about relating to the athlete and the format of this event could be tweaked to cater to that.
Check out the Face To Face tournament in France... That may be the format you are trying to describe. I think it may be something we need to look at. Maybe a Friday or Saturday night Face to Face shoot in Vegas for some cash!!! All to further the sport of course.... Hired guns from each manufacturer heading into the forum to shoot for the honor of the companies.... Martin vs. Hoyt vs. Matthews vs. PSE so on.....

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Check out the Face To Face tournament in France... That may be the format you are trying to describe. I think it may be something we need to look at. Maybe a Friday or Saturday night Face to Face shoot in Vegas for some cash!!! All to further the sport of course.... Hired guns from each manufacturer heading into the forum to shoot for the honor of the companies.... Martin vs. Hoyt vs. Matthews vs. PSE so on.....
Hmm 4 men enter 1 man leaves, type of thing;) I love the grudge match format (Elite vs Darton anyone???????:eek:)

Actually the F2F system is probably the model to use, and bear in mind they are only getting started and are still evolving that system. I just hope that format does not meet resistance because it's not "Made in America" A North American branch would be a terrific thing.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.