Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a close look and decide, shoot or pass and wait for a better shot..

Thanks to Arrow Flinger at Woody's

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
some of those depend if its the first time I have seen the deer or if I have been following him for a while

2 and 4, good chance of a deflection
3-yes-if I have been watching it and know its size etc
6-never
7-8 yes
5-yes-I have killed at least two with similar shots-easy recovery-less than 40 yards

10-looks like a vine asking to cause a deflection-can't see well enough on your picture

1-spine shot-heavy bow knocks them right down but you might not get a clean kill

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
5,7,8, yes - 9 maybe - others no

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would take 3, 7, and 8 for sure, I would wait for a step or two for 9. And wouldn't take any of the others.

Fun little test.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I would take them all but #1 and 6. I would let the first move ahead a bit and try to get a nice quartering away shot. #6 would be a waiting game, I would sit tight and wait for a broadside, unalert shot. #2 is only 10 yards, so the branches wouldn't be a deflection issue for my bow.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If the deer were a bit bigger, I'd take 7 and 8 only. The other ones have too big a chance for either a deflection or are turned in such a way that I don't think it is a high-percentage kill shot.

There's always another chance to bag a deer. I often let the purty ones, or the small ones, or the female ones go in hopes of an ugly old rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts