Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Colorado ELk Hunter
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
check out this article on some domesticated elk in Idaho. could be bad.

Guv issues "shoot to kill" order on escaped elk

In an unprecedented executive decision dealing with wildlife issues, Idaho Gov. Jim Risch signed a "shoot to kill" order Thursday declaring open season on about 160 trophy elk that escaped in recent weeks from a private game farm near the Wyoming state line and only 10 miles from Yellowstone National Park.

Wyoming Game and Fish Director Terry Cleveland said Idaho's escaped European elk subspecies "would clearly impact the gene pool of native Rocky Mountain elk in the (greater Yellowstone area) and in Wyoming."In his action, Risch authorized the "immediate destruction" of the domesticated red deer, an elk subspecies, by state Fish and Game and Department of Agriculture agents.

He also has asked the Idaho Fish and Game Commission for an emergency ruling allowing hunters and private landowners to shoot the animals before they can breed with wild elk as rutting season approaches.

"I don't think we've ever had an escape like this before. This is serious business," Risch told The Associated Press.

The immediate concern of biologists is the spread of wildlife ailments such as chronic wasting disease (CWD), tuberculosis and brucellosis by the domestic elk to the wild herds, as well as potential negative effects interbreeding would have on the genetics of Rocky Mountain elk in the region.

Idaho Fish and Game Director Steve Huffaker called the elk breakout "the train wreck we've seen coming for a long time."

Adding to the gravity of the situation is the fact that the escape of the herd was not immediately reported to authorities as required by law. As a result, the animals have had time to disperse over a wide area.

Wyoming Game and Fish Director Terry Cleveland said the European elk subspecies "would clearly impact the gene pool of native Rocky Mountain elk in the (greater Yellowstone area) and in Wyoming."

The owner of the elk, Rex Rammell, has a checkered

here is the link

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/story?columnist=absher_jr&page=g_blog_Absher_JR

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
This freaking sucks. I'm severly pis*ed off. They guy who let this happen needs to be severly punished. He refused to mark his elk so now nobody knows which are his and which are wild.:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
jamaro said:
I have been following this I wonder if the elk are ear tagged... Are these now elgible for P and Y or B and C?
jason
they aren't ear tagged, but they are slightly different geneticly and if you shoot one there you have to have it tested. I'm not sure if they would be eligible since they are different and bred specifically for large racks.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Damn...

I used to live a mile from a fenced elk heard...would have loved to get a shot at one...

The Game and Parks had to shoot wild elk off the guys fence...and I think thats just wrong!

-NerdHick

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Everything I read about this before never mentioned them being a European subspecies, is this true? This is not good if it is. I read that his elk were tested as being genetically pure, but still might carry disease. This could open up a whole new can of worms. And of course they escape during the wild elk rut.

·
Colorado ELk Hunter
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not good.

all i know is this is not good. i hope no one shoots any normal rocky mountain elk. but its bound to happen. if guys can confuse moose with elk they can confuse these for sure

·
Keeping it Simple... ;)
1,921 Posts
Update:

Govenor Risch has now closed a portion of the unit for the normal archery season for one week (Sept. 19th through Sept. 25th) and opened it for 50 randomly selected hunters for an any weapon emergency depredation hunt. There is no limit on domestic elk which ARE tagged with a small steel ear tag. It is unfortunate that the normal archery season is postponed, however it is necessary to try to eliminate the domestic herd which has now spread through the unit. The owner will no doubt be there to raise havoc, so it should be an interesting hunt. I have been selected to participate, so it should be interesting. Wish me luck...

Thanks, Forrest Carter

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Good Luck!!!!

Forrest Carter said:
Update:

I have been selected to participate, so it should be interesting. Wish me luck...
Are you restricted to a certain number of kills? Good luck!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mr. Carter,
I hope you shoot a bunch of em, take lots of ammo.

It is Sept. 18 and we have no way of knowing if cross breeding has already happened.
ALL ELK within this area must be killed. Once all elk are gone from the greater area, a re-population effort with wild native elk can begain.
The owner/idoit who let this happen should be responsable for ALL costs, and he should be castrated so HE can't cross breed with normal people.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
Forrest Carter said:
Update:

Govenor Risch has now closed a portion of the unit for the normal archery season for one week (Sept. 19th through Sept. 25th) and opened it for 50 randomly selected hunters for an any weapon emergency depredation hunt. There is no limit on domestic elk which ARE tagged with a small steel ear tag. It is unfortunate that the normal archery season is postponed, however it is necessary to try to eliminate the domestic herd which has now spread through the unit. The owner will no doubt be there to raise havoc, so it should be an interesting hunt. I have been selected to participate, so it should be interesting. Wish me luck...

Thanks, Forrest Carter
Forrest, good luck and I hope you get one of them.

·
Keeping it Simple... ;)
1,921 Posts
Well, I was wrong about the length of time, It appears that it is going to be 1 week for the 1st 50 people, the next week for the next 50, etc... etc...

Yep, it's a mess all right, we shall see how it all turns out...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good Luck Mr. Carter,

Hope you get at least one of these animals.:thumbs_up Let us know how it goes if you can.

Does anyone know if they have been able to locate/track any of the escapees? or if there is any way to hold the owner responsible?

This is just another reason to eliminate any privately owned/manipulated big game herds - IMO.

·
Registered
997 Posts
IDHUNTER said:
they aren't ear tagged, but they are slightly different geneticly and if you shoot one there you have to have it tested. I'm not sure if they would be eligible since they are different and bred specifically for large racks.
Pard they are tagged, but not with the bright tags that are required by Idaho Law, personally the sob is getting what he deserves, and to think he wants to run for public office. Ha! One of my buddys had his archery elk hunt ruined because of this fiasco, but the funny thing is saturday he drew one of 50 permits to go and kill these domestic elk. I would think that they wont be elegable for either pope and young or boone and crockette. Hopefully Cob will kill alot of critters tomarrow.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
997 Posts
Forrest Carter said:
Update:

Thanks, Forrest Carter
Good luck and good huntin, Watch out for My bud Cob, he aint gonna be at work tommarow, and was JACKED about going out to hopefully get a wall hanger. Keep yer head down Forrest, I think the woods are going to be scary tomarrow morning.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Good luck Forrest. I hope you manage to run into a herd of these critters and can slaughter them one by one. What a disaster for our state. I hope the people of Idaho can finally figure out that game farms are as bad or worse than they are made out to be and get them shut down.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Zoo Hunters' facility results in closure to legitimate bowhunting...

I read now that because of the elk escape from that particular Zoo Hunters' facility, area closures are in effect to legitimate bowhunting so they can depradation hunt these possibly hybridized elk/red deer.

"The current archery season is closed in that area only due to this emergency depredation hunt. They hope that prevents bow hunters and rifle hunters from mingling."

http://www.kpvi.com/index.cfm?page=nbcheadlines.cfm&ID=36545

UPDATE ON ELK HUNT
Sep 18, 2006 -KPVI

On Friday, Governor Risch's office announced plans to allow a very specific group of hunters to kill domestic elk that escaped from Rex Rammell's elk ranch in the Conant Creek area near Ashton. Aaron Kunz has the latest.

Fish and Game has made it clear disease is an issue, but Rammell has maintained his elk are clean. Fish and Game Supervisor Steve Schmidt says it's similar to drivers using seatbelts. They don't know if they are going to get into an accident but they put it on just in case. Those elk might be disease-free, but they can't take make that assumption.

The depredation hunt was ordered by Governor Jim Risch on September 7th. Now, some licensed hunters can shoot the escaped domestic elk.

"It will be open to land owners in the area and a limited number of hunters who have elk tags for that zone."

One concern was how to keep hunters from killing the wild elk population - since Rammell's tags for adult elk are small metal tags that are difficult to see.

"Unfortunately, that is an unavoidable consequence of this action and we would remind folks that is not Fish and Game's fault."

The Idaho Fish and Game officers managed to kill 15 domestic elk in a week, but felt they needed to open it up to private hunters who know the area.

"This is not going to be a turkey shoot. These elk are in thick timber. They have been chased and shot at for several days already and they will be somewhat difficult to harvest."

Schmidt says the are submitting samples of the dead elk for testing.

"We have collected biological samples on each of those animals and they are being sent to various laboratories for disease testing and genetic testing."

The efforts by Fish and Game to try and harvest the elk is expensive - an issue they say could come up at a later date.

"Likely we will find that we have committed significant resources towards this venture. We hope at some time to recover those expenses but at the current time our first order of business is to try and recover as many domestic elk as possible."

That hunt starts tomorrow for a very selective group of hunters. If you haven't been contacted by Fish and Game, you are not to hunt those domestic elk - you could face strict penalties. The current archery season is closed in that area only due to this emergency depredation hunt. They hope that prevents bow hunters and rifle hunters from mingling.

·
Keeping it Simple... ;)
1,921 Posts
Well, after a scouting trip last night I have declined to go on this hunt, they have PLENTY of people to take care of this problem. It remeinded me of going huckleberry picking in the summer and seeing every tiny parking space taken and more people scouring the roads to find a place to park. I really have a VERY bad feeling about this situation and my gut is telling me HECK no. I didn't see enough sign last night to make me want to be there and I saw a whole lot of reasons NOT to be there so I'm going with my better judgement. I really don't think that I would be that effective anyway as last night was my 1st time ever into this area. I'm sure that we will hear more as the hunt gets underway this morning. Call me chicken, but you gotta go with you gut feeling sometimes...

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
Forrest Carter said:
Well, after a scouting trip last night I have declined to go on this hunt, they have PLENTY of people to take care of this problem. It remeinded me of going huckleberry picking in the summer and seeing every tiny parking space taken and more people scouring the roads to find a place to park. I really have a VERY bad feeling about this situation and my gut is telling me HECK no. I didn't see enough sign last night to make me want to be there and I saw a whole lot of reasons NOT to be there so I'm going with my better judgement. I really don't think that I would be that effective anyway as last night was my 1st time ever into this area. I'm sure that we will hear more as the hunt gets underway this morning. Call me chicken, but you gotta go with you gut feeling sometimes...

I think you made a wise choice. I am allergic to lead myself. I tend to stay away from situations where every fool with a gun is going to converge. If this ain't one of those situations, I don't know what is.

You ain't chicken...you're smart.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts