Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always practice using my target set up at 20 yards, and my deer set up at 35yards. I am very confident at this distance and never plan on shooting outside 35 yards.

Well today was going to change out my deers vital area but thought, I never have shot the deer from the other side and figured I would shoot some broadheads into that side before replacing it. Where the deer is located there was only room to go 15-18 yards on the other side of it due to a fence. I was amazed at how accurate and fast and hard the arrows were hitting. Made me realize how much more accurate a bow is at this distance. It has changed the way I will scout in a way, I want to be able to take that 15-18 yard shot, I was amazed at the diff between 15 - 30 yards.

Just thought I would talk a few of you into shooting at this distance and seeing if you feel the same way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I always shoot that distance. I rarely move back for a 30 ayrd shot. My bow only shoots about 220fps at near 48-50 pounds of draw weight, so thats too far for this bow anyways. My accuracy doubles between 10 and 20 yards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shooting 20 -35 yards

I have to agree. This fall we moved out to 30 yds for our standard practice distance and once we got our groups down 3 inches we were very happy. Then we started shooting at 40 yds and getting our groups down at that distance. When we went back to 20 yds it was incredible.

3 arrows touching was the norm. It was just amazing how the 20 yd target was tightened up.

Practice at 30 but shoot at 20. Good plan.

Cool

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
My goal is to always give myself that 15-20 yard shot. I practice alot, so if a deer is 30 yards or closer, he is in big trouble, but the 15 yard shot is my bread and butter. As a hunter, my number one priority with stand placement is to put myself in that 10-20 yard position.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I like to practice at longer ranges, but prefer actual hunting shots inside of 20 yards. At that distance there is little time for the deer to react. I use a heavy arrow (500 grains out of a 56# bow) and don't get great arrow speed, but KE is good. I practice to 35 yards, but it would have to be a perfect setup for me to even think of attempting a shot at that range. And I'm comfortable with shots less than 20 yards, too!:D

·
When's bow season start?
8,942 Posts
I do the bulk of my practicing at 30, 40 and 50 yards. After a session of those yardages, stepping up to 20 is like a crap shoot. Shots at deer will never be over 30, unless I got that perfect "buck is broadside and almost asleep on his feet at 40 yards" shot, but long-range practice is great for making shorter shots seem like cake.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks Like We All Do The Same

This year scouting I was so confident in my scouting was thinking of setting up farther of the trails, but after shooting today, geting back with in 20 yards, want to be able to shoot even with deer watching if needed. I dont believe a deer could react if with in 20 yards with either my protec, or razortec. 30 yards would need to be a relaxed deer.

I feel like some hunters are falling in the rut that the bows are fast enough they dont need to get so close anymore. Close is still best.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Why would anyone want to take a longer shot than they have to. I set all my stands for a 20 and under shot.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It is refreshing to hear other people who think like I do to keep their shots at deer to around that 20 yard range. I am sick of hearing from people who say they are sighted in all the way up to 40 or 50 yards. I am under the opinion that at those distances they cannot consistently hit a deer in the vitals. I would like to know how many deer they have injured at those distances for every successful kill.

I hope everyone has a great bowhunting season this fall.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think I've shot a total of 2 deer over 20 yards, they were about 25-27 yards.

Otherwise my stands are set-up to give me a 20 yard or less shot.
I shot a doe this weekend with one of my management tags, she was walking down the trail thats 7+ yards from my 16 foot high stand. My chances of getting spotted in this set-up is very low.

·
Registered
268 Posts
First let me say. I agree with some of you who like the closer shots. I think that by minimizing the distance to your game you actually do 3 things. One, you reduce the chance of the deer jumping the string. Two, you increase your chance of making a good clean shot. Three,you can shoot later as it dark with greater accuracy.

With that said, I still believe that having the ability to take the long shot in your arsenal is without a doubt beneficial. By increasing your maximum range from 20 to 40 yards you in turn increase you affective hunting area by 300%. You cover 300% more ground by doubling you affective range. Pretty good benefit for sure. To prepare for that long shot I practice long. I feel confident that I can consistently hit a 5 inch circle everytime at 40 yards ( assume a 8 circle would be the lethal kill zone of a deer so I leave a little room for error). To acheive this confidence I practice at 50 yards. When I move up to 40 the shot seems much easier. I do at least 75% of my practicing at 40 and 50 yards.

And when that long shot at a trophy standing at 35 yards presents itself, I am ready. In the mean time that average 18 to 25 yard shot ( that I scout and set up for ) seems like a give me.

Good luck and hope this helps

·
Registered
999 Posts
I agree 100% short shots are where it's at, but, what about a follow up shot? I hunt in the western mtns and though I always try for the close shot I practise alot at 50-60 yds just in case I'm forced to make a second shot. My targets (elk) are also considerably bigger that a deer which makes that longer shot a bit easier but I agree closer and well placed is what we are after.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Canadian brother.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with our neighbor to the North, Cold Canuck (and others). I always practiced at 20 and planned to shoot no more than 20 at a live deer. Now I still plan for a 20 yard or closer shot, but I practice out to 40 yds (sometimes 50). When you move back to 20 for broadheads and hunting, you can pick hairs off the target! Try it for yourself, you won't be sorry come season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts