Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who own a saddle how accurate are you when shooting from it. This has been one of my concerns and reasons for not buying one. Keeping good form and being able to shoot particularly at longer range or odd angles.

·
Vendor
6,898 Posts
I think it helps immensely. It is hard not to maintain t form while hunting out of one. Had the same concerns, but it has been extremely easy to shoot out of all but the weak side shots. Those take some doing but are possible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Shot three deer from a saddle this past year. Two were strongside shots, hit exactly where I aimed. One was a nice buck that I shot weakside, something happened and I shot way low on him and never recovered him.. I definitely be practicing weakside shots more this offseason.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
It's actually easier to keep your T form. The only difficult part is if something is on your weak side.

·
HogHeaven
781 Posts
I have hunted only out of a saddle this year and this was my first year to try one. I have shot at 4 deer and taken 3 deer. the only one I missed was opening day with a longbow, and I had target panic so bad I almost blacked out lol. Shooting has not been an issue, except one small area to the right. I love it but will be adding a tethered platform for next year. Saddle hunting has been great for my back but more difficult on my feet with no platform. I cannot see going back to a stand, and for the first time since i started bowhunting in 2006 I have not been busted in the tree once, which for the crackhead deer in Mississippi, is amazing . I have mainly hunted public land with walks in over a mile and it has been incredible, but the comfort on my back got me using it even where I use to hang stands. Now just have sticks in the tree and still use the saddle. Dont know if I would ever go back to a stand now.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Any issues with legs going to sleep or any other considerations?

I find the concept interesting for a break in spot and stalk; perhaps hunting over a wallow or something for elk.

Are they quick to throw up and get up the tree?

What's a standard setup weigh?

Safer/more dangerous than a stand?

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
If you hunt out of a saddle using an 800 grain arrow and a single bevel broadhead the arrow will fly as if its being guided by Christ himself.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Been hunting out of one for a decade now. Its a non factor.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you hunt out of a saddle using an 800 grain arrow and a single bevel broadhead the arrow will fly as if its being guided by Christ himself.
I was going to start an outdoor tv show called hunting with Christ. I was inspired listening to the joe Rogan podcast. There is a large connection to the outdoor industry and our lord and savior.

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
Using Jesus to legitimize outfitting businesses and hunting shows, or to sell products and services has been a nice ruse for quite some time.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,310 Posts
Tree saddles are proof people can think their way out of a perfectly good system if they try hard enough.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I didn't have any trouble shooting from a saddle this year. I did find it to be more comfortable for my back on long sits than my LW Alpha with Hunt Comfort seat. I'm about a 50/50 leaner and sitter and found it easier to transition from sitting to read to shoot with minimal movement. The tree blocking my movement was a nice benefit as well. It's another tool to be utilized. I was able to hunt quite a few trees this year that would have been either impossible, or at a minimum difficult to get a hang on stand into where I wanted it to be.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Any issues with legs going to sleep or any other considerations?

I find the concept interesting for a break in spot and stalk; perhaps hunting over a wallow or something for elk.

Are they quick to throw up and get up the tree?

What's a standard setup weigh?

Safer/more dangerous than a stand?
I have had no issues with legs going to sleep. In fact more comfortable than my hang on stands.

How quickly you can get up the tree depends on you climbing method and how proficient you are with it. Some people get to 20ft in 3 minutes. Takes me a bit longer.

Most of the weight is in our climbing method and ropes. The saddle only weights a pound or two. My total system weight is about 10#.

Certainly no more dangerous than a stand and probably safer. Easy to incorporate self rescue with little additional weight. No suspension trauma even if you loose your foot support.

Check out saddlehunter.com, answers to all these questions are there.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I killed a buck inside the 1st hour of hunting in mine. Of course, I got in a tree in our back woods and practiced shooting at various yardages and angles several times before I went hunting. It will likely require this practice in a real set up in a tree to get the hang of it I think. I think you have to be way more athletic & in shape to do this sort of hunting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts