Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:darkbeer: :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

Any one shooting alums from a compound??? I have always enjoyed shooting alums and I am going to retire the carbons and shoot XX78, 2317 SUPERSLAMS. I just fletched up 6 with vanes and the other 6 with 5" feathers. (w/vanes 586 grs and w/feathers 573 grais. 100gr F/P included). I know I'm not goimg to get the speed but I'm hoping the K.E. will do the trick down range. I'm thinking of 125gr MAGNUS STINGER to top them off. Any thoughts, opinions,helpfull tips or suggestions, for one changing from carbons to alums. Thanks to all who reply!!!!!!!

Have a great huntin' season and tag out.:thumbs_up :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have 2214x7's set up on one bow and 2216xx78 on another,I am not a speed freak when it comes to hunting even with carbon arrows I made sure the weight was around 500 gr. but with aluminum I have better accuracy and consistancy at 40 yrds and longer, just my opionion but it works for me.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I shoot 2314's with 100 gr thunderheads at around 260 fps. Works great!

Wife is shooting carbon express 100's cause they worked better for her.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
i shot some easton alums and the acuracy was much better at 80 yds than gold tip pro hunters, and equal to beeman black max 340s. they were also much quieter. BUT when one passes through the target and hits a tree, its usless. when one of my black max or axis arrows does that, i brush the dirt off and keep on shooting. i cant afford to lose and arrow every time i get a pass through. i've pulled my black max arrows 3" out of a tree and with no damage. alums are very good

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
I'm a spot shooter (don't hunt). I shoot 1816 aluminums at 45# and they fly just fine.

I've always used aluminum arrows. I bought two dozen Easton XX75 Platinum Plus shafts about two years ago. They come with uni-bushings, which accept G-nocks and are beveled to prevent destruction ("robin hoods"). I point them with bullet tips and fletch with feathers (using Bohning tape).

I still have sixteen left (I lost the other eight shooting at 90 yards). Every one has at least two little dents from being hit. I check them with a Vador straightener when I re-fletch them, which is about every two months and the minor bends are easy to correct.

For my purposes, I know of absolutely no reason to switch to carbon. Others will argue but I believe these to be very good arrows.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
My aluminums don't go as far as my carbons. I couldn't get them out to 60 yards at the target range (XX75 2219's). You should be able to notice a definite decrease in noise from your bow.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I use Easton XX75, 2315's, 100gr tip and Blazers. :darkbeer:

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
I've seen a hundred or more 2213's that passed thru deer.
They had Savora's, Wasp cam-locs, bear razors, new wasp, muzzy's, puckett punch-cutters and a plethora of other newr broad heads out front.
:embara: I think I had the Savoras' on xx75 1816's when I started bowhunting, successfully I might add.

I mostly hunted with 2213's up until last season, using GT's most recently. Though I did use GT's one season maybe 8 years ago. I have a batch of 2213 XX78 Super Slam Selects I used last indoor seasosn, I might just use them this hunting season.

The 3D range might be the least desirable venue for aluminum. But if I could get some of the big metal tubes(2613's) to fly 280 I might shoot metal again.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Aluminums are good, and so are carbons

Nothing wrong with Aluminums. I still shoot them indoors sometimes.

The truth is that Carbons are stronger, as straight, or even more so, now, and as heavy or light as you want.

But if you take care of them, and check them often, and know how to straighten them, Aluminums are very good as well.

When I read that someone has better accuracy with Carbon or Aluminum, I laugh a little. Except for some long distance or high wind target applications, this simply indicates that they have not tuned their arrow/bow combination. Trust me, I, and many many more, can hit the same spot with either.

As for Kenetic Energy increases. Sorry, but for hunting that is a false rumor. A bow has only so much "potential energy" available, and it converts it all to kenetic energy and sound/heat/vibration on the shot. It is true that a heavy arrow will absorb a little more of the sound/vibration than a light arrow, and it is also true that aluminums are heavier than a lot of carbons, but it is the weight, not the material, that causes it to be absorbed. More importantaly, the increase of the arrow weight amounts you are talking is just not meaningfull. I would present the physics behind it, but I'll tell you what, either do a search and find all of the fights we have had on that issue, or get a new foam target and test for your self.

Set up a NEW (no old holes for arrows to follow that will give false readings) target at 20 yards and shoot the light, and than the heavy arrows, same diameter, same bow, and check out the difference in penetration. You will be shocked at how little, if any, difference there is. This holds true until the light arrow suffers from friction due to the increased speed, out at about 40 or so yards normally.

So, what am I telling you? Shoot what you like. There is no reason that either will not do what you need.:wink:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Shooting XX75 2117's ,with 125gr Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts for a total wt. 532 gr.'s . Still shooting fingers at 56 #s and this arrow combo makes this setup real quiet and deadly. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am shooting XX78 2314's out of my Trykon XL this year. They make to bow a little quiter and are fast enough for the deep woods hunting I do. I am only able to get 20 to 25 yard shots out of most of my hunting setups and speed is really not a concern to me at that range, but noise is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I shoot a ultramag, with 2317 Eastons, 125 grain tip. Packs a punch when it hits something. You can kiss it goodby when you miss and hit something hard

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
There is really nothing wrong with aluminum, except the weight create a lot more drop at longer yardage. I used both. I really like my new Axis arrows though, enough weight and they are extremely tough.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Dchiefransom said:
My aluminums don't go as far as my carbons. I couldn't get them out to 60 yards at the target range (XX75 2219's). You should be able to notice a definite decrease in noise from your bow.
There is something wrong there, ChiefRansom.

The only problem I have getting out to 90 yards is I have to move the peepsight up (and increase draw weight to 50#) because my sight won't adjust low enough. So I have one bow set up just for shooting that distance.

Is sight adjustment limitation the problem you're having? Or are you saying your bow won't send your 2219s out beyond 60 yards? Because if that's it, something is seriously wrong. I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable in matters of arrow size and weights in relation to flight and distance, but I would guess that the 2219s are too heavy, your nock is too high, or your peep is too low.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
i think that the energy is mass x velocity squared, which means messing with more weight is trivial . lighter arrow with more speed is going to drop less [in altitude] and back more punch plus if it is smaller diameter have less drag penetrating your flesh . remember that's 'I THINK' and also i don't ,haven't ,and never will hunt . lastly,i also don't make hunting threads in this section of the forum .

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
MikeK said:
There is something wrong there, ChiefRansom.

The only problem I have getting out to 90 yards is I have to move the peepsight up (and increase draw weight to 50#) because my sight won't adjust low enough. So I have one bow set up just for shooting that distance.

Is sight adjustment limitation the problem you're having? Or are you saying your bow won't send your 2219s out beyond 60 yards? Because if that's it, something is seriously wrong. I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable in matters of arrow size and weights in relation to flight and distance, but I would guess that the 2219s are too heavy, your nock is too high, or your peep is too low.

This is without moving my peep sight, I'm not that far into any tuning knowledge yet. I have a Spott-Hogg Real Deal sight with the small pin guard. My bow was set at 54 pounds at that time. I started with the top pin at 20 yards. The bottom pin was against the sight level and I was at the bottom of the target bales at 60 yards. I had adjusted the sight so that the top pin was about as high in the pin guard as I could get it. I have a 28" draw length and was using 125 grain points.
I went to Goldtip XT hunters with 85 grain heads and readjusted my pins out to 60 yards. I'm not a good shooter yet, so I move my pins so my "pattern" centers on the bullseye.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I have some X-7 2114's I am going to fletch up and shoot out of one of my bows:)

I think the X-7 is one of the best arrows I have ever shot.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I like allums (xx78) as well but when considering speed & weight vs KE, you lose alot more speed then you gain KE on a percentage basis. I still like them but they are more expensive than low end carbons and the carbons are more durable. I would definetly shoot them at close range ( 10 -25 yds) at larger game (Elk, moose, etc). Also the very sm. dia. carbon shafts get great penetration which is most notable at 25+ yards. But all considered, with most of today's bows your gonna get more than enough KE to kill a whitetail from just about any arrow with any bow over 50#.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts