Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just fired two Axis 340s with blazers cut to 29.5 inches out of a 62lb. bow without any kind of a head on. According to the 5 grain per pound rule this shouldn't have stressed my bow in any way should it have? I didn't notice anything other than it seemed awfully fast :wink: but I'm extremely anal about these things so I just want to hear it from the people that know so maybe I can get some sleep tonight.:rolleyes: I do have to say it sure does tear up a bag target with no point on!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I wouldn't make a regular practice of it, but there was obviously enough weight on the string to prevent any damage. Dry fire damage usually shows up right after the shot; Strings jump the races, axles get bent, limbs crack, parts go flying. The damage is usually clearly visable. You really didn't have a dry fire. I believe your bows perfectly OK.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Your bow is fine,not even close to a dry fire.
Yes,makes a big pop when its hits the bag and the hole is exaggerated.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Dumb question, but what is an accident or experiment?

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Shooting hollow points are ya. Shouldn't have hurt anything, don't make a habit of it though. :wink:

·
Banned
42 Posts
5 grains

Axis 340's are 9.5 gpi times 29.5 =280 ,PLUS nock 9 grains, blazers 5 grains each, 16 grain insert, roughly 320 grains on a minimal 310 grain 62lbs. You and the bow will be ok. Just a little light up front and the slightest air differential will send that puppy into orbit. Again like stated 200 times already, don't make it a habit.:wink:

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
To make a long story short, I once shot an old aluminum arrow without a head on it out of the Pro Line Rip Tide I use to own. Bow was fine, I was fine, nothing happened, but man did that thing make a wicked HISSSSSSS going through the air lol

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks to all for the free counseling!!! I'm sorry it had to come to that but, if I would have had to wait till morning to ask someone about it I probably would have needed some professional therapy by that time!! Isn't that something that a guy will let himself get that distraught over something like that!! I guess I just need to :darkbeer: and settle down. And although I would have loved to been able to tell everyone that this little mishap was some sort of an intential experiment, I can't lie to ya, this was a slip!! :embarres: LOL

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
At my last 3D shoot, I shot over the top of an 18 yard target. I couldn't believe I could miss that badly on such a close target until I pulled my arrow out of the dirt and discovered that the point and insert were gone. The insert and point had stayed in the last target I shot and I never bothered to check to make sure the arrow still had a point when I load it on the string. Dumb, but it didn't hurt anything.

Automan

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
it haqppens quite offen at my range . people who carry there target arrows in quivers sometimes have one of there tips rattle loose. they usually shoot around 8 inches high when they shoot with out a 100 grain tip they shoot around 35 feet faster. i know the sound of it hitting the bag real good and tell them through the window to check the rest of there arrows. havent seen it damage a bow yet but that doesnt mean it cant happen.i ahve signs telling people to always check there arrows but seldom see anyone do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts