Archery Talk Forum banner

Shooting Better Without Stabilizer

2363 20
I ordered a 10" 11 oz b stinger and every time I put it on i cannot hold the pins steady at all, and then when I take it off it is much steadier. Is it too heavy or what?:confused:
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
4,278 Posts
One thing you need to pay attention to is holding weight vs. mass weight. As a general rule, when you have a low holding weight, you will hold steadier with lower mass weight. When you have a high holding weight, you need more mass weight. A really heavy bow won't feel as heavy or as hard to control when the holding weight goes up. Lower the holding weight on the same bow and your ability to hold it on target is usually not as good.

You will be amazed at how steady you hold when you figure out the best holding weight/mass weight combination for your style of shooting (also assuming your DL is correct).

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 29" draw, 60# draw w/ 80% letoff
One thing you need to pay attention to is holding weight vs. mass weight. As a general rule, when you have a low holding weight, you will hold steadier with lower mass weight. When you have a high holding weight, you need more mass weight. A really heavy bow won't feel as heavy or as hard to control when the holding weight goes up. Lower the holding weight on the same bow and your ability to hold it on target is usually not as good.

You will be amazed at how steady you hold when you figure out the best holding weight/mass weight combination for your style of shooting (also assuming your DL is correct).

· Registered
4,278 Posts
I have a 29" draw, 60# draw w/ 80% letoff
So you're holding about 12#. That's on the low end, so it doesn't surprise me you're shooting better when you reduce mass weight by pulling off the stab. You may find that you are most accurate with that bow with just one of the S-Coil or X-Coil style stabs on it. Not much to lose trying. But do yourself a favour and don't let your shooting suffer because it's 'cool' to have the longer stab.

· Registered
2,303 Posts
You mention one 10" stabilizer. Are you using a second Stab? If not, you have a balance issue. You need a weight in the opposite direction (relatively) to help keep the bow balanced.

If you are already using two or three stabs to create a balanced setup, then you may have added too much new mass too fast. When you start using Stabs and adding mass weight to the bow setup, go slow... your bow arm deltoid will need time to grow stronger.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any recomendations for under $70?
You mention one 10" stabilizer. Are you using a second Stab? If not, you have a balance issue. You need a weight in the opposite direction (relatively) to help keep the bow balanced.

If you are already using two or three stabs to create a balanced setup, then you may have added too much new mass too fast. When you start using Stabs and adding mass weight to the bow setup, go slow... your bow arm deltoid will need time to grow stronger.

· Registered
1,733 Posts
I've shot quite a few different B stingers with different bows. I used a 12" 11oz model on my 60lb Z7 and currently use an 8" 11oz model on my 60lb MR7. For me the 11oz is a good weight to use, I'll change the stab length depending on the bow and how it balances.

Assuming you have perfect shooting form, the only thing keeping you from making a perfect shot is the fact that it's impossible to hold your pin completely still on target. In theory adding weight (as much as you can hold up) will make the bow more dead in your hand and your pins more steady on target. Obviously there are diminishing returns at some point.

If you have the opportunity to shoot a 12" and 8" length with your 11oz weight I would recommend giving that a try. Obviously trying an 8oz weight would be a good idea too.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I am going to return it for an 8" 8 oz
I've shot quite a few different B stingers with different bows. I used a 12" 11oz model on my 60lb Z7 and currently use an 8" 11oz model on my 60lb MR7. For me the 11oz is a good weight to use, I'll change the stab length depending on the bow and how it balances.

Assuming you have perfect shooting form, the only thing keeping you from making a perfect shot is the fact that it's impossible to hold your pin completely still on target. In theory adding weight (as much as you can hold up) will make the bow more dead in your hand and your pins more steady on target. Obviously there are diminishing returns at some point.

If you have the opportunity to shoot a 12" and 8" length with your 11oz weight I would recommend giving that a try. Obviously trying an 8oz weight would be a good idea too.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
I would buy something that is adjustable for weight so you can play around and get what fits you best. I can hook you up with a great stab maker that is VERY reasonable. He will make them for you any length you want.

· Registered
3,412 Posts
So you're holding about 12#. That's on the low end, so it doesn't surprise me you're shooting better when you reduce mass weight by pulling off the stab. You may find that you are most accurate with that bow with just one of the S-Coil or X-Coil style stabs on it. Not much to lose trying. But do yourself a favour and don't let your shooting suffer because it's 'cool' to have the longer stab.
What's the formula to figure that out? Don't think I've ever seen it, and I"m curious.

· Grumpy Old Man
26,862 Posts
Is this for a hunting set up? I like a little weight out front.....for me an S-Coil is just enough. Around $19 most places.

· Registered
4,278 Posts
What's the formula to figure that out? Don't think I've ever seen it, and I"m curious.
No precise formula, you just have to experiment with it. I experienced the problem of mismatching holding weight and mass weight myself and then by chance I saw an article or video clip (can't remember) where Tim Gillingham explained the relationship between the two. Field14 on here has some posts on the subject as well. You obviously have to do what feels right for you but the difference is unmistakable. If you're holding 11-12# with a 8-9# mass weight target rig, good luck!

Just as an example: I have a 40" target bow with 65% let-off and 15.5# of holding weight. If I take weight off the stab my sight picture deteriorates noticeably. Conversely, with my 34" bow with 80# let-off and 11# of holding weight, I can bust nocks like crazy and hold dead on the dot with a little x-coil stab, but when I put a target stab on it my groups open up. You would think that adding a heavy target stab would improve my groups, but it made them worse because it threw off the holding weight/mass weight balance and I couldn't hold as steady.

· Registered
2,698 Posts
Is this for a hunting set up? I like a little weight out front.....for me an S-Coil is just enough. Around $19 most places.

That's not a stabilizer per se, that's a vibration dampner. I put 10 oz on a 8" shaft and it was too much, it pulled my bow down. I switched the weight with a 4 oz and it was much better. The longer the rod, the less weight you need in my experience. The shorter the rod the more weight you need and it won't have the same effect due to it's length. Here's the stab with the 10 oz on it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.