Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was playing around with shooting both eye open. Sight set at 20 yards if I clsoe one eye and use the peep shot is good. Both eyes open I'm shooting Left and slightly high. Should I adjsut my sight or will thsi naturally adjsut as I shoot both open more frequently.

Also are those still using peeps on their bows shooting this way? I can see through it but seems a bit off.

Craig

·
---------------------->
3,515 Posts
If you choose to shoot both eyes open then you will need to re-sight your sights in. You will have a different impact point when you close one eye because of your eye dominance. You need to do one or the other because if you shoot one with both open and move your sight, then change to one closed you will do nothing but move your sights again and your groups will suck! It all has to do with eye dominance.

·
---------------------->
3,515 Posts
I shoot both open and seem to get a better group like this then with one closed. Also it improves your sight picture and how much light you need to shoot.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you choose to shoot both eyes open then you will need to re-sight your sights in. You will have a different impact point when you close one eye because of your eye dominance. You need to do one or the other because if you shoot one with both open and move your sight, then change to one closed you will do nothing but move your sights again and your groups will suck! It all has to do with eye dominance.
Thanks figured i would ask before I go playing with the sights again. Shooting with both open seems to have advanteges as I don't seem to drop the bow liek I was after shot looking for hthe arrow. The guys that give me advise call it the "where did it go syndrome" :embara:

Craig

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Wow, interesting. I changed and started shooting with both eyes open and I did not have to change my sights one bit.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shoot both open and seem to get a better group like this then with one closed. Also it improves your sight picture and how much light you need to shoot.
Still using a peep with your setup? I've read a couple here aren't after going wiht both eyes open.

Craig

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you were shooting with left eye closed and right eye open and then start shooting with both eyes open you should still be sighting with the right eye thru the peep and point of impact should be the same, UNLESS instead of right eye dominant you are left eye dominant. If your arrows all hit left of where you were hitting with the left eye closed then you are most likely left eye dominant which will greatly hinder you from shooting right handed with both eyes open. Simple dominant eye test , with both eyes open point your finger at an object such as a door knob across the room, without moving your finger close one eye and then the other and see which eye the finger and object is lined up with, if finger and object is lined up with the left eye then you are left eye dominant and vice versa. If your are shooting right handed but you are left eye dominant you may want to continue to shoot with just your right eye open.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you were shooting with left eye closed and right eye open and then start shooting with both eyes open you should still be sighting with the right eye thru the peep and point of impact should be the same, UNLESS instead of right eye dominant you are left eye dominant. If your arrows all hit left of where you were hitting with the left eye closed then you are most likely left eye dominant which will greatly hinder you from shooting right handed with both eyes open. Simple dominant eye test , with both eyes open point your finger at an object such as a door knob across the room, without moving your finger close one eye and then the other and see which eye the finger and object is lined up with, if finger and object is lined up with the left eye then you are left eye dominant and vice versa. If your are shooting right handed but you are left eye dominant you may want to continue to shoot with just your right eye open.
I'm right eye dominate. Guessing I should give it some more practice as the look is different. Also I think I need to move my peep up a tiny bit 3/8" or so as wiht left eye closed I'm probably dropping my head jsut a degree for hte peep.

Craig

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
I'm right eye dominate. Guessing I should give it some more practice as the look is different. Also I think I need to move my peep up a tiny bit 3/8" or so as wiht left eye closed I'm probably dropping my head jsut a degree for hte peep.

Craig
My groups are slightly different right to left also. I am also right eye dominant. I am not sure why this is the case. I actually wish I could shoot with both eyes open (I can see WAY better, obviously) but for some reason my accuracy suffers (even when I am sighted in for it.) It seems like when I have both eyes open, my eyes fight each other instead of working together.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Moved the peep up think I need to move it a touch more. I'll have to play wiht it abit and see what happens.

Will have to try and get to the range again in a couple of days.

Craig

·
---------------------->
3,515 Posts
I am right eye dominate, and use a peep. I have taken some of my buddy's bows and shot them with both open and hit left, close my left eye and hit dead on. I am not sure why I am like this but I think that with both open it take some of the pressure off the dominate eye.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts