Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed while deciding what bow to get, most people with the R15 or a 160/175 Scorpyd are using fairly heavy setups, usually near 450 gr.

Are they slowing down the broadheads (fixed or mech) to a more controllable speed?

If this is true, Im more inclined to buy a 400fps model and use a 400-420gr, than spend more to get 430 or 450 fps and have to slow it way down.

The lighter setups would still have plenty of energy and momentum at normal deer hunting distance.

BTW this is only for deer not bears or dangerous game.

I don't shoot field points much, so the flight and accuracy of broadheads are my main concern.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
No different set up required for black bears IMO...If you shoot deer with your set up then go ahead and hunt bear with it.
I like the extra horse power for pushing wider cut broadheads through whatever.....
My set up gives me no problem shooting 435 fps . My 175 Scorpyd actually shot every broad head I tried really great.
I upped my arrow weight because I went to FOC broadheads.
Much better to have it and not need it than going without of you do decide to shoot a heavier arrow.
Having said that,400 fps is smoking fast too...

·
Bringer of truth
14,908 Posts
dont be fooled.......the only reason to slow down your bow is because someone told you to.

I shoot 3 bows over 400 f.p.s the fastest being 437 f.p.s Its shooting Ramcats and 429 grain arrows.

It shoots great out to 80 yrds. easily 2 " gruops. It is much easier to get accuracy with more f.o.c (weight up front.) You will need to know how to tune the bow for sure at the faster speed.

use select arrows and not have any fletching clearance issues. This might be more trouble then its worth...only you can decide.

Otherwise you will be chasing your arse..

i.m.o......only reason to have slow bow are you can not afford a fast one or can not pull it back, or you like to be like the other guy.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,671 Posts
No problems here with my Orion 175. Finished arrow is 462 grains. Spinal Tapps, 175 grain NAP FOC broad heads with 3" Fusion vanes doing the steering. Speed is 418 FPS with that setup and 441.9 FPS with a 400 grain arrow tipped with field points. Hunting setup has same POI out to at least 40 yards which is as far as I've tired them. Shooting sub 3" groups at 100 yards with field points off of the back of my 4 wheeler rack. No level, no vice, just kneeling down.

I feel confident that my hunting setup will hit POA, or very close to it, from a farther distance than 40 yards. Good quality arrows with the proper fletchings is key.

Ed

·
Registered
71 Posts
My R15 avg is 434 fps with 400g, use 100g German Kinetics Sliver Flames and/or Iron Wills 100g, both are very close to my field points out to 100 yards, in fact, didn't even have to change my scope settings.

They shoot so well don't even shoot groups at 100 yards....

·
Anti Fanboy
42,671 Posts
No problems here with my Orion 175. Finished arrow is 462 grains. Spinal Tapps, 175 grain NAP FOC broad heads with 3" Fusion vanes doing the steering. Speed is 418 FPS with that setup and 441.9 FPS with a 400 grain arrow tipped with field points. Hunting setup has same POI out to at least 40 yards which is as far as I've tired them. Shooting sub 3" groups at 100 yards with field points off of the back of my 4 wheeler rack. No level, no vice, just kneeling down.

I feel confident that my hunting setup will hit POA, or very close to it, from a farther distance than 40 yards. Good quality arrows with the proper fletchings is key.

Ed
Wanted to add something to this post. ^^^^^

As soon as I get more arrow shafts, along with some heavier inserts, I plan on trying some fixed blade broad heads out of my Orion 175 just for grins. Hoping GrizzTricks will be accurate enough to hunt with out to at least 30-40 yards. These would be backup broad heads only.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts