Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot 25 in draw and 40# for 5spots. My question is... lots of other lady shooters are using 2613's. They are really long, at least 4-5 inches past the rest. I tried some at 26 inches but they did not fly well. What do I need to do so I can use fatter shaft alums?

Also, why can I shoot a single spot better than shooting 5 spot target? My thoughts are that I see my first and second arrow are in the x or close and my confidence soars. It makes it easier to put the rest there. I can't seem to do that with 5 single spots. Is this a mind game thang or what?

Bowgal
aka 'a 300 shooter wanna-be"

·
Registered
513 Posts
Bowgal............My wife shoots a 2312 at 30'' @40#with 145gr. Combo points. They are slow but they go where you shoot them.
These were good enough to win the indoor nationals the last 2 yrs.

The single spot is in 1 place. the 5 spot is in 5 different places. My theory.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bowgal,

My father shoots about 27" draw and 45lb indoor. His arrows are 2613's with about 300 grain tips and 31" long. His typical vegas 300 round score is around 295, so i am guessing that they shoot fine at low weight. I shoot the same arrows, but at 54 lb and 29" draw and they shoot great.

since you are a little smaller than him and shooting less poundage, you may want to try something a little lighter, 2413, or 2315 with 175-225 grain tips around 29" long. I have always had trouble with 12 wall thickness arrows' durability, but you may have better luck.

be patient with the 5 spot, everyone goes through the same adjustment period that you are going through now. Give it a week or two and you will be shooting the same scores or better on the 5 spot.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Butch is right ,anything over 2315 is not only harder to tune,but is also over
the legal fita size...............you never know what shoot you could be attending next.
I had a free weekend during last winters indoor season,it just so happened that there was a fita shoot not 30 miles away.I had a good time(Glen Meyers was there).........and you can bet that they checked my arrow size knowing that I wasn't a regular FITA shooter.
Shot pretty well that day and may consider making more of them
this up and coming year.Different venues can certainly break up the monotony.
Anyway,sure you can gain a few points with a larger shaft size,
but you have to be able to group them there first.
Also agree with the single spot being easier to line up consistently,but be careful,before long you'll be hanging "Robin hoods"on the wall.
Jerry

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
arrows

Right now I am shooting CXL 150's. I really like them. I am wondering then if their diameter isn't nearly the same as 2315, 2413's? I could just stick to the CXL 150's if they are close.

About FITA, what is the largest diameter allowed? Your right Michigander, I could end up shooting other styles since I love my archery!!

Bowgal

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
The rule is written in metric, but it equates to2315.I shoot 2314's myself..........much easier to find.The only thing I can say is to have somebody with a micrometer check them for you.
Jerry

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Bowgal,

I believe the CXL's are approx. the same size as a 2213. I know that is the size uni bushing that works with that arrow.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A few years ago, I shot nothing but single spot. So I needed an aluminum shaft big enough to cut lines and tough enough to take some beatings. I shot 2216 at 29 inches with 125 grain tip. I was only shooting(and still do for indoor) 45lbs.

my two cents
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts