Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about shooting from a treestand. This is my first season hunting from a stand and while practicing I find myself feeling more comfortable shooting from the sitting position compared to standing. When I shoot I bend at the waist to make the shot and I don't have any problems putting 3 arrows in a target at 30 yards. Do you guys see any problems with taking shots while sitting?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
If I could sit, it would be great. But, I can't seem to make the deer come to that comfy shooting zone located on the left of my stand.

That is why I try to be in a standing position before he gets into shooting range. while standing I can make smaller adjustments to my shooting position with less motion than trying to stand once he gets in cozy-close because he cirlced around to my right or behind me.

I have shot a few while sitting and it is much more comfy and solid, but I only made those shots because I had unplanned for noisy stand problems or the fact that for some reason that sucker snuck up on me unawares and I couldn't stand without getting busted.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
most of the deer i kill im sitting down in my stand. last season i killed one standing and 6 sitting

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
NO, standing is always better.with summit ,you have bar in front unless its the open front which i dont like for safety reasons.
i see buck coming i slowly stand up.46 yrs doing it this way. sitting down you will lose buck as its harder to slowly move around tree.
with my harness holding me i can hang out over my summit for better shot at times.
nothing wrong with sitting BUT 46 YRS, I FOUND STANDING IS WAY TO HUNT THE BUCK.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I shoot sitting most of the time, and I see no differents except went you have to shoot to the right ( right handed) or behind the stand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Standing up is how I do it... I'd hate to have the a nice buck walk just a little to far one way or another and not have a shot because I was sitting. Like sproulman, when I see a buck or doe I slowly stand up so when they are in range I'm ready to go.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Jesus how many tags do they give you guys per season up in New York...
most of the deer i kill im sitting down in my stand. last season i killed one standing and 6 sitting

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i get unlimited doe tags and 2 buck tags with 1 either sex tag

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I always stand up to shoot, just never could get the feel for sitting down and shoot!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I shot sitting almost 75% of the time out of the stand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts